IGNORED

2600 on a chip video, soon to become a retail product

mos6507

Why can't Supercharger games be supported, at least single-load games, if other games that use RAM will work on it?

The supercharger support was originally planned. In the original design the different parts of the game were different menu entries with a system to leave the current game and re-enter the next one. For some reason the support got dropped. I do not recall why but it is too late now.

Does it support "illegal opcodes" and have you tested it on various modern homebrews to check "TIA-recreation"(?) accuracy?  

I suggest trying some of my own games (Thrust, Cave 1K, Splatform) as they are doing some special things to hardware. There should be absolutely no graphics glitches.

The CPU is completly accurate, including what is on the bus in the middle of an instruction (dummy writes on read-modify-write instructions, etc).

There are two instructions added though (0x02 = RST : initiates the reset sequence of the CPU and 0x03 = JAM : 'crash' that quicks the device back to the menu system).

If you have code you would like us to try, please email it to us. Everything we have tried works, including the interlaced display demo.

Just make sure it works on a real 2600 because we have seen some stuff working on emulators and not on a real 2600.

First, I would like to apologize if my "vaporware" comment offended anyone at RetroGames or those affiliated with it.  It took me two months to get the 2600 up and running with success, and I assumed, incorrectly, that the project may have been canned seeing that it has been worked on for so long with multiple people involved.   I again apologize for that comment.  At least we got an update, huh? :)

There are multiple groups working on this sort of thing. See also http://sourceforge.net/projects/fpga2600/ . This project currently has working VHDL for the RIOT, and is working (albeit slowly) on the TIA. It is assumed one of the open source 6502 cores will work well enough.

See also http://cuddlepuddle.org/~adam/PICT0013.JPG and http://cuddlepuddle.org/~adam/PICT0014.JPG

I've been slow to get the TIA done. I started with an asynchronous design (hey, I'm new at this), which I think I'll wind up scraping. That, and I have a real life and a day job. :)

There are two instructions added though (0x02 = RST : initiates the reset sequence of the CPU and 0x03 = JAM : 'crash' that quicks the device back to the menu system).

Why did you use 0x03, is is a working (though hardly ever used) illegal opcode (LSR+ORA(,x)) and there are plenty of CPU jamming opcodes (e.g. 0x12...0x72). :?

If you have code you would like us to try, please email it to us.

Sure, please PM me your email address.

Just make sure it works on a real 2600 because we have seen some stuff working on emulators and not on a real 2600.

I test (or let test) everything on hardware before a final release. :)

I project that this won't sell as well because its still not using cartridges.

Its certainly on the right track and I understand you've all had some

difficulties but many people will be turned off by this because they can't use

their cartridges. (such as myself)

Really whats the difference between this, and an emulator in terms of the

playing experience?

But of course, this is our grey area, what makes the experience realistic,

that can be debated on.

The realistic experience for me is for the most part using real carts.

But I'm sure at one point we'll be seeing cart ports on similar products

so I'm optimistic as always.

Not being able to use real carts is definitely a negative, but at least it is using "real" 2600 hardware and roms can be used on it. I read in this other thread that Atari was scaling back features as well for their "Flashback 2". http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p...p=794368#794368

Specifically, this:

a reduction of Flashback expectations based on retailers' demand for an accelerated launch of a newly configured plug-and-play product in the early summer

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm hoping Atari isn't downsizing its new release to just another NES-on-a-chip project again. :sad:

At least several of these "real" hardware projects are on the go. Maybe one of these will have a real cart port. :ponder:

Not being able to use real carts is definitely a negative, but at least it is using "real" 2600 hardware and roms can be used on it. I read in this other thread that Atari was scaling back features as well for their "Flashback 2". http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p...p=794368#794368

Specifically, this:

a reduction of Flashback expectations based on retailers' demand for an accelerated launch of a newly configured plug-and-play product in the early summer

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm hoping Atari isn't downsizing its new release to just another NES-on-a-chip project again. :sad:

At least several of these "real" hardware projects are on the go. Maybe one of these will have a real cart port. :ponder:

You mis-read the announcement... it just means that the current Flashback-1 productions have been reduced as retailers are moving orders over to the new Atari console coming out this summer... the new Atari unit will not have a cartridge port (though the inquisitive will find a very familiar footprint on the PCB's for a certain component to be soldering onto it...)

Damn was I thinking outloud again....

Curt

I project that this won't sell as well because its still not using cartridges.(such as myself)

I think you are wrong.

I think the important thing is that it can load in ANY rom image (well, outside of Starpath), not that it support carts. It's more convenient to store your games as ROM images and load up multiple ROM images into a flash device like what's inside this thing than it is to swap carts. DEFINITELY A MUST for those who will want to hack this into a portable with an LCD screen. This will be able to be a killer portable, better than a VCSp by far.

Unless you have a lot of carts that you can't find ROM images for, it's not going to be a problem.

It's like having an IPOD vs. a discman. Would you rather walk around with a million CDs or put the CDs into your IPOD?

Really whats the difference between this, and an emulator in terms of the

playing experience?

Better sound, flicker that actually looks like real flicker, no tearing artefacts, maybe hooking up real controllers, using a real TV, etc....

Plus portability, and it doesn't require a PC.

If you already have a 2600, then keep using that for tethered use. But I think what people are going to do with this thing is slap an LCD screen on it and use it as a portable.

• 3 weeks later...
If you already have a 2600, then keep using that for tethered use.  But I think what people are going to do with this thing is slap an LCD screen on it and use it as a portable.

I find so much wrong with your last post

Yes I can see it now, people sitting on the bus with a portable Atari 2600 in their hands taunting the kids with DS or PSP sitting next to them. "It's an Atari 2600, and yes that really is Joust, listen to the wings flap!!"

Oh wait - if people wanted to do that they would just emulate the 2600 on their PDA's. They don't. Not because they want better flicker either. *smirk*

The people who will hack something like this with an LCD screen are not the people who are likely to take this technology portable. They are the people who will sit at home and invite their other nerd friends over to check it out.

Just like I did with my hacked xbox and an emulator. Only everyone in the room could see it at the same time.

Toss in some easily hacked atari controllers and you have an atari experience right from the xbox harddrive.

And trust me - anyone who can hack an LCD onto this device can more easily hack an xbox and some controllers.

Oh wait - if people wanted to do that they would just emulate the 2600 on their PDA's.  They don't.   Not because they want better flicker either.  *smirk*

The people who will hack something like this with an LCD screen are not the people who are likely to take this technology portable.  They are the people who will sit at home and invite their other nerd friends over to check it out.  

The point of this is that emulation isn't perfect. The closer you can get to the original hardware, the better the experience.

And I do emulate the 2600 on my GP32... while it's fun to show my "other nerd friends",

the point is that I actually enjoy playing the games and want to be able to take them with me and play them.

• 1 month later...

Seems we need a mini-FAQ on the waiting for the Atari Flashback 2. Seems that it will have a "know footprint on the board", so to have it, it must have a "know-sized hole on top of that", else the "know footprint on board" would have no use :)

Time to gather information to feed the hurries :D

Greetz from Brazil,

AS, crazy to put my screwdriver into the new toy :D