Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jahfish

who won this one?

Recommended Posts

I won an auction on ebay back in october for a vhs tape of atari commercials... decent I guess. Only had a few commercials I haven't been able to find already on the net.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to get my hands on either of those. I've got lots of ads on my site, but most of them are of middling to low quality. I'd absolutely love to get the chance to capture high quality versions of them. Hey, I just got a new, huge hard drive, I need to stretch its legs. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Mindfield:

I'd love to get my hands on either of those. I've got lots of ads on my site, but most of them are of middling to low quality. I'd absolutely love to get the chance to capture high quality versions of them. Hey, I just got a new, huge hard drive, I need to stretch its legs. :-)


 

I'd also like to get my hands on this as we'd like to put Atari-related video segments up here on AtariAge (now that we have the bandwidth to support video). Getting as many Atari commercials online as possible would be great, especially at a reasonably high quality.

 

..Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I'd also like to get my hands on this as we'd like to put Atari-related video segments up here on AtariAge (now that we have the bandwidth to support video). Getting as many Atari commercials online as possible would be great, especially at a reasonably high quality.

 

..Al

 

You're welcome to pillage my site. As I said, most are of middling to low quality MOVs and AVIs, but there are some high quality MPEGs online, and I just added a few more high quality alternates (ripped by Cyberroach, the one who ripped that 7Up ad) to the Atari section, and always add more as I find 'em (though it's a rare and precious thing when I do find ones I don't have, or higher quality versions of ones that I do.) One of the cooler ones is a 1984 60-second MTV spot for 2600/5200 Centipede -- it's in stereo! It was ripped by a friend of mine from an old Betamax tape containing many hours of music videos he was ripping in the process. :-) I told him I wanted any old video game ads he might have taped in between videos, but that was the only one he found unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Mindfield:

You're welcome to pillage
my site
.


 

Awesome, thanks for the offer! I know I've looked at many of those commercials in the past, but I'll have to go through them all again. Not that I mind, it's always fun to watch these old Atari commercials.

 

[...time passes...]

 

Oh my goodness, you have hundreds of megs of Atari-related material up there! Guess I'll have to fire up an industrial strength FTP program.

 

..Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by jahfish:

here's the
absolutely best commercial
i have ever seen.


 

That was most excellent, thanks for sharing! Man, I'd like to know how the licensing arrangement worked out for that. I assume 7-Up had to pay for the right to use Pac-Man, but you never know. Pretty funny commercial.

 

..Al

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

Awesome, thanks for the offer! I know I've looked at many of those commercials in the past, but I'll have to go through them all again. Not that I mind, it's always fun to watch these old Atari commercials.

 

[...time passes...]

 

Oh my goodness, you have hundreds of megs of Atari-related material up there! Guess I'll have to fire up an industrial strength FTP program.

 

..Al

 

 

lol ... my collection originally started out Atari-oriented. That's all I was really interested in at the outset, but I started coming across all this other stuff, so I just sorta expanded. The Atari section is still by far the largest, however. :-) Anything and everything I can get my hands on goes there. Other stuff I'll pass on if it's pointless or incredibly crap (like Commodore sponsor messages or station break announcements), but for the most part I'll hoarde anything Atari.

 

And yes, I love going through all those old ads from time to time. It's a serious misty-eyed trip down memory lane. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

That was most excellent, thanks for sharing! Man, I'd like to know how the licensing arrangement worked out for that. I assume 7-Up had to pay for the right to use Pac-Man, but you never know. Pretty funny commercial.

 

..Al

 

It's also pretty obvious that this ad was done by the legendary team that also did Atari's "The Fly" theatre ad for Yar's Revenge. Hard to believe they were using such relatively good computer animation so early in the technological revolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, sorry - have been away.

 

I don't have the ability to transfer my vhs to computer (at least I don't think I do).

 

So, I can make you a copy of the tape once things slow down around here... just slip me an email with the delivery address.

 

[email protected]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just looked at the 7 Up commercial. Very nicely done. When was this actually aired? I don't remember ever seeing it so I wonder if maybe it was never shown in the U.S.

 

Thanks again for posting the link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To whomever is lucky enough to get a copy of this tape and is able to rip it, perhaps you might consider doing them in high quality NTSC VCD format (29.97FPS, 352x240, 1150Kb/s bitrate or higher, 224Kb/s audio). That way there's a top quality version available from which smaller, streaming versions may be made available for those who want them. I for one would *love* copies of the high quality versions -- all of 'em. They'd make a great addition to my collection, and I'm sure Albert would love to host 'em here, too. :-) I used to have ripping capabilities, but when I switched to WinXP my old video card lost all its useful functionality, so I had to replace it with a better card that unfortunately has no capture abilities. :-P

 

And of course my site is always available should you care to upload the finished products.

 

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing 'em.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...