IGNORED

Ron Lloyd in Retro Gamer

Albert

I received the latest issue of Retro Gamer today, and it has a large section on the Atari 5200. Towards the end of this article is a full page interview with Ron Lloyd, who created Koffi Yellow Kopter and is hard at work on Quest for the Golden Challice (Adventure II). It's nice to see homebrew authors getting the attention they deserve, congratulations Ron!

..Al

Was it issue 11? That's supposed to be the next one out on this side of the pond. I know that issue 12 is already out in the UK and has a nice Atari Age write-up in it.  :)  

It's "Volume Two, Issue One" should be Issue 13, even though it doesn't say that on the cover like in the past. I received it in the mail from the UK, not sure if it's available in stores yet here.

..Al

Unfortunately, it's not available here yet. Barnes & Noble still hasn't received the new version, which should be issue 11. I bought issue 10 well over a month ago, it seems like it's taking a little longer for the next issue to come over. Or maybe I'm just being impatient.

Hey Ron,

You've probably been asked this question a lot recently, but I was wondering what the status of the game was in regards to the Infogrames situation: Have you heard back from them yet? I'm sure it's not their company's first priority to deal with your game (and who knows how long they knew about the AtariAge store selling repros before they finally said something?).

What happens if they DON'T get back to you? Is there a certain amount of time in which they need to respond, or forfeit their right to challenge your game?

Yep, been asked about that a few times. :)

Discussion has been occurring with Atari/Infogrames about the "Adventure II" subject for a long time now. Weeks and months I think. Unfortunately, there's no sense talking about anything here because nothing has been officially decided or agreed upon. So I wait. But I am trying to finish up the game regardless of its name and/or changes deemed necessary.

But there's hope of good things to come!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Uh-oh: Ron's falling behind!

The latest announcement is a promise that there will be a new announcement ... sometime in April! The announcement will bring new info about the project's title and expected release date, and a new playable demo.

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200dev/QftGC.html

Looking forward to the upcoming news update.

Did that issue come out in the states yet? I've never seen Retro Gamer in any bookstore. I've checked Waldenbooks, the local Barnes and Noble, and the local borders. I assume it'd be with the gaming and PC mags right? Never saw it.

Still, I'd like to get a copy somehow since I'm in it.

• 2 weeks later...
That was pretty fast! I was interviewed in January.  I never bought this magazine yet, but I am surprised at the delay of issues from UK to USA. So I guess in a month or two this issue might come out in the USA....

800561[/snapback]

Ron, glad to see you're still programming! Looking forward to Adventure II.

Koffi's Uncle Geo

Good buddy DEBRO sent me a copy of this Pennsylvania-deprived issue! I just checked it out.

I must say, it kind of was weird to see how my interview responses were reworded and paraphrased. I thought, "I didn't actually say it that way!" No big deal. :)

The 5200 articles were great reading just because .. you never get to read stuff like this anymore! A couple of thoughts:

"..People who were bored playing old titles like Centipede were being invited to stump up 300 pounds so they could play, well, old titles like Centipede." Yep. Good way to put it.

"..the controller ended up going through 9 revisions during the 5200's short life cycle." I didn't know there were that many!

Finally, it's sad that, although Koffi got a mention as a 5200 homebrew, the writer probably didn't mention others because ... Infogrames stopped all of them!! It'd have been cool if there had been at least pictures of all the 5200 homebrew efforts, completed or not, up until now.

This is the first RG I've read. It is such a kick to read if you remember old Electronic Games mags, the guys behind this mag sure have dialed in on some good memories while still presenting a fresh take on the old classics. I like the Star Wars games article too.

Good buddy DEBRO sent me a copy of this Pennsylvania-deprived issue! I just checked it out.

Glad to see it got there and quick too :) Enjoy my friend.

857808[/snapback]

I picked up a copy at Barnes and Noble this weekend. It's a definate must buy IMHO for any 5200 fan.