IGNORED

Best graphics on the 2600?

txfds

Wow! Tunnel Runner is amazing! I had never even heard of the title, and after playing it I couldn't believe it was done on a VCS! Wow the first person perspective was done very well, and the animation on the monster is great. It's very fluid and the ominous music when he approaches adds to the mood. What a cool 2600 game! Wow, this system never ceaes to amaze me :-)

Everyone's talking about Battlezone, but IMHO Robot Tank beats it to dust!

I agree... Robot Tank is superior to Battlezone in my book.

I guess gameplay is a matter of opinion, but I think it's pretty clear that Battlezone is technically superior...Robot Tank did some Enduro-like weather conditions, but Battlezone is modelling 2 enemies in VR. Almost every other 3D game is much more squared off, but in Battlezone you can turn at any angle.

I always thought Robot Tanks "quick, swivel so you can't see the shot and it won't hit you!" was one of the goofier ideas, and it felt more like hovercraft than tanks. But it is a faster paced game, and cool in its own right.

Solaris wins it easy, also worth a mention though - California Games, Defender 2 and Double Dragon.

I've always been very impressed with Defender 2, it really came close to what Defender is on the 2600, the sound effects, sound are good, some are bad, but the overall game is really good.

Midnight Magic is definitely another excellent game graphics wise.

Curt

• 3 weeks later...
I was impressed with the scrolling large mazes in Pac Man Jr.,  :D   and there are so many different ones.  

really puts that original pac crap game to shame  :x

I agree..it is a darn fustrating game but a darn good one too..it was a "crash release" game that never got the notice it should..heck, I never saw it until 1988.

I have to say Battlezone too. It almost looks like a 5200 or even a 7800 games. True story I was playing it on my 7800 and my wife thought it was a 7800 game.

It almost looks like a NES game!

Have you seen Battlezone on the NES? The 2600 version blows it out of the water! ;)

As for my opinion, the first few red-label games were definitely the pinnacle of 2600 programming and graphics, and Solaris is the stand-out among stand-outs.

I thought the extra chip in Pitfall II is for the music :?:
It did both. From an interview with David Crane
MT> As well as software, you have contributed to many hardware breakthroughs including the designs of two integrated circuits used in video games. Please tell us about the Display Processor Chip (DPC) and your innovative method of bank selecting. What was your involvement with the Atari 800 computer's operating system?

DC> My background is in hardware design. I found hardware work to be a welcome change from thousands of hours of programming and that led to the designs you mentioned. I would have to go into a highly technical explanation to delve into those two chip designs, but their intention was to try to extend the life of the 2600 even further. The hope was that the machine's capabilities could be expanded by putting extra hardware into the cartridge. The DPC chip added more graphic capability as well as 3 channel music (plus drum), and made Pitfall II possible. Unfortunately, the 2600 business died before any other games could take advantage of that technology.