IGNORED

Best light gun games?

Much like the space shooter the light gun shooter has all but died out, and i thought it would be a good idea to reflect on our favorite games of the genere. My top 3 are as follows

1.time crisis 2-I cant even count how many times i have played through this game at the arcade and at home. This was one of those few arcade games where the home version is better then the arcade to. And with a lack of good new games for commoing out i find this game leaving my ps2 less and less. It even supports that system link thing which i would love to try out one day.

House of the dead 2-One of the hardest light gun games ever made and its also one of the funnest. I have lost many hours to this game and i still dont think i ever beat it but damn did i have fun trying. The arcade version is better in my opinion just beacuse of the dreamcasts lousy light gun and more then a few of the hotd 2 discs were DOA. Still i love this game and i would say its my favorite dreamcast game as well. Well hotd 2 or soulcalibur.

House of the dead-This game beat virtua cop out as my third favorite just because i think it has more replay value then the first 2 virtua cops. Never put in enough time in with 3 to judge it (i did love what i played). I saw this cabnet more often then i ever saw any other light gun game so i played it at the arcade more then any other light gun game. (this and time crisis 2 is awful close in terms of play time put in). I really loved spending summer nights at the mall or movies playing this for an hour or so. Me and my frieds destroyed the game we played so much. And its still fun to play when ever i see a cabnet which is not often any more. And i never got a copy of the saturn version so im going soley by the aracde version.

Games that aslo deserve mention are the virtua cop games and crisis zone there all good games but not as good as the one son my list.. I thought time crisis 3 and hotd 3 were both just average and palled in comparison to the early games.

I used to love Rescue Mission on the SMS, though I haven't played it in a long, long time. House of the Dead 2. Crossbow. For some reason I really liked the arcade version of Crypt Killer, though the Saturn port is okay, it's definitely missing some magic.

I've never played the Point Blank series for the ps1, but they always looked like a lot of fun.

Any more Dreamcast or Xbox titles?

As far as I know, the only Dreamcast titles (North American releases that is) that support the light gun are House of the Dead 2, Confidential Mission, Death Crimson OX, and Virtua Cop 2 (on the Sega Smash Pack disc). I may be wrong, but I think Demolition Racer: No Exit actually has a hidden game that can be played with a light gun too... that game has all kinds of wild hidden crap in it. The light gun might have been a little more popular if Sega had actually released their official light gun in North America.

The Dreamcast also has Silent Scope, but you can't use a light gun for it. Works very nicely with a mouse though.

--Zero

These games still hold up for me. Never bothered with Time Crisis on the PSX since the hookups seemed like a pain and the Saturn games were plenty.

NES:

Duck Hunt

Hogan's Alley

Saturn:

House of the Dead (ugly but fun)

Virtua Cop

Virtua Cop 2

Dreamcast:

House of the Dead 2

Confidential Mission

I've also got House of the Dead III for XBOX, but no gun ...

I think you can also play Starsky & Hutch with a lightgun.

That should be enough gun games for anyone! :D

Area 51 is my favorite gun game, but only in the arcade.  It's a pity that its ports for the PS1 and (presumably) the Saturn didn't use the gun.
Not my favorite game, but I seem to remember the Saturn version being Stunner compatible. See http://www.sega-saturn.com/saturn/software...ws/area51-1.htm for a quick review that mentions it ...

while I'm thinking of it, the shooting game in Die Hard Trilogy wasn't bad at the time, though it's ugly-ass low-res and not nearly as slick as the

Virtua Cop games.

I have the Saturn versions of Area 51 and Maximum Force, and while they both support the light gun, both games kind of suck.

Now that I think about it, the SMS had a bunch of great light gun games. Gangster Town was good. There was also a decent Rambo game (I think Rambo III was the light gun version). The aforementioned Resuce Mission rocked.

I'll have to check it out to verify it, but I seem to recall that Sega went so far as to block the hardware (Japanese Sega gun) from working on the US DC...  :roll:

I've heard that rumor too, but can anyone confirm whether this is true? If so, what about the European versions of Sega's gun? I've actually been in the market for a Dreamcast light gun lately, and a lot of the guns on eBay seem to be from Europe... and given the rumors of HotD2, I'm a little worried about compatability.

--Zero

• 14 years later...
On 3/20/2005 at 10:46 PM, zombiecraig said:

This is great, give me some more! My wife enjoys Light Gun games and I need more! The Saturn ones mentioned will be a big help. Any other more modern ones? I know PS2 has Time Crisis 2 & 3 and a few others. Any more Dreamcast or Xbox titles?

The Xbox has Silent Scope Complete, The House of the Dead 3 (also includes the Dreamcast version of HOD2) and Starsky & Hutch (uses the light gun in co-op mode, one person drives and the other person shoots).