IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

I think it's time to move on.

I like pie.

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have stayed out of this one. I held out as long as I could, but in the end I couldn't sit back and watch while someone whose perspective on the subject I respected was being so egregiously misconstrued.

Nonetheless, I didn't involve myself here to create drama or to flame wgungfu, as you're implying. I only wanted to see that the record was set straight.

Not implying anything. Just trying to lighten the mood.

I like pie.
The appropriate sweet would be Reese's Pieces. Stay on topic.

My bad. What about Reese's pie?

http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=2948&page=42&per=25

It makes me sad to think that somewhere there's enough copies of ET so that everyone on the planet could experience its awesomeness, and nobody has been able to find them. :(

Wait, there isn't?

-Rob

Isn't what? Enough 2600 ET gaming goodness to go around? Sadly no. :( But if someone could salvage enough from the landfill, I daresay everyone on Earth can have one of their very own.

What good is a crushed cartridge?

(that's a crushed mythological cartridge to doubters)

It's an Atari nerd version of owning a piece of the Berlin Wall. People would wear clear plastic necklaces, bracelets, and earrings containing broken pieces of Atari junk from that famous landfill. Whether it's five million, one million, or no million cartridges, you could still sell whatever was buried there. Own a piece of history, forever encased in space age plastic.

Edited by Random Terrain

This is an interesting subject...and I wish I could tag along. If you are looking for a web designer, I wouldn't mind doing it. It's what I'm going to college for after all and it would help give me some training. Plus, it would make use of the Dreamweaver program I have for a change. PM me if interested.

Take that quote, add a picture of a landfill and an E.T. cartridge, and that'd be a great t-shirt.

20 pages and a year or three ago somebody wanted a poster so I faked up a poster. So just for this necromancy on the thread, I've faked up your T-Shirt. Though slapping an image of an E.T. cart over an image of the "I Want To Believe" poster isn't that hard and you COULD have that made into an iron-on if you really want.

post-5808-126324558505_thumb.jpg

Damn, that's actually a pretty cool shirt...

So have you changed your mind? Has enough evidence been presented for you to believe that truckloads of Atari products were buried there?

Only if you show me proof of millions of Atari carts buried will you change my mind in regards to the landfill myth Random.

So no you haven't changed my mind.

If you show me proof that Atari buried a bunch of crap in a landfill, it has nothing to do with the myth.

Not sure how to make it any clearer to you.

Uh oh!!! Someone's grouchy!!!

Edited by 82-T/A

• 2 months later...

im am currently in alamagordo, nm for 2 weeks.... Someone posted on the net the address of 500 s white sands blvd. which looks like a dump from the sattellite view. is anyone in this area wanting to look around the area? I dont have transportation, or I would dig up the area myself..... Keep in mind that they couldn't possibly crush them all, not to mention I've heard its mostly defective carts since the returns center was in el paso, about 45 mins / hour away.

I dont hhink cement would too big of a problem, unless its a parking lot, but being a bottle digger, there not too big of obsticles if you really want to find them... unless they are encased in cement =( (not just over the pile)

my experience with bottle digging tells me that they can be found, and there should be SOME left in salvageable condition..

not to mention what other atari treasures are there too... it was there garbage after all...

anyone wanna go hunting???

im am currently in alamagordo, nm for 2 weeks.... Someone posted on the net the address of 500 s white sands blvd. which looks like a dump from the sattellite view. is anyone in this area wanting to look around the area? I dont have transportation, or I would dig up the area myself..... Keep in mind that they couldn't possibly crush them all, not to mention I've heard its mostly defective carts since the returns center was in el paso, about 45 mins / hour away.

I dont hhink cement would too big of a problem, unless its a parking lot, but being a bottle digger, there not too big of obsticles if you really want to find them... unless they are encased in cement =( (not just over the pile)

my experience with bottle digging tells me that they can be found, and there should be SOME left in salvageable condition..

not to mention what other atari treasures are there too... it was there garbage after all...

anyone wanna go hunting???

Though I can't condone illegal activity, I do say, avoid arrest. Also, the landfill is enormous and may have another 15-20 years of trash over it, compacted. Unless you know the exact spot to dig/drill, your dig will come up empty handed.

-Rob

• 3 months later...

Wow, seeing this thread again reminds me of something ...

This past summer, my family and I have been working on building an addition to our house. As we were getting ready to pour the foundation, I got to thinking about all that excess Atari merchandise buried underneath that concrete in Alamogordo. I suddenly realized: hey, I'm pouring concrete, and I've got a lot of "excess Atari merchandise" myself (mostly extra Atari 7800 and 2600 boxes), so why can't I re-enact that moment in video game history right in my own backyard?

Here's what it looked like before the "big pour":

ataridump_before.jpg

And here is the finished foundation:

ataridump_after.jpg

A closeup of some of the boxes:

ataridump_closeup.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...