IGNORED

ColecoVision - The best is yet to come

opcode

Is it NTSC only? If it can be used in a PAL console you can count me in for $ support.

PAL versions are possible, as both the video processor and the video encoder can be placed in PAL mode. And since the sound CPU uses the FM chip timer instead the video processor for sync its jobs, sound will always play at the correct speed. :D

Eduardo

Now this is something that never occured to me. The whole PAL/NTSC thing isn't really important with the Colecovision because all ROMs work on a PAL system, and look like they do on an American TV; there's no difference in speed or colour. Well, all the ones I've tried anyway. But with these games and add-ons by opcode, will they work on my PAL Coleco? I am interested in this Opgrade thing as well as the Pac Man Collection, but it's questions like these that need to be answered before I could consider buying.

Ok.... Ah, first, there isn't a thing like PAL CV games. All games, Coleco or CBS, are the same. So if you run a CBS cart on your NTSC CV you won't see any difference. But, AFAIK, when you run a CV game on a CBS CV, any game, it will run a bit slower, because the CPU keeps the game in sync with the VDP interruption, which happens 60 times a second for NTSC systems and 50 times a second with PAL system. Even sound is affected, and that's the worst part in my opinion.

The OM sound CPU isn't synced by the VDP, but by the FM chip internal timer. This way, PAL OM won't slow down the sound (though the game still runs a bit slower).

Eduardo

It seems that you are right. I tried playing Colecovision games using an emulator on my Xbox, something which I've not done before, and the difference is shocking. The screen is much larger, and games run much faster. All that time I thought I was playing games at NTSC speed on my CBS Coleco and I was wrong. I guess I misunderstood what others have told me.

As far as I am concerned, I've never played the Colecovision. If I bought Pac-Man collection, it would be as slow as a week in solitary. I'll need to sell my CV off, because all these great games play terribly on a CBS machine. I need to buy a proper US Colecovision and get it modded. Dammit!! :x :x :x

Edited by Spector

Off topic, but how do you differentiate between a CBS NTSC and a CBS Pal unit? Or, what triggers NTSC vs PAL? I only ask because I know KayBee sold the CBS Colecos here in Missouri years ago during the liquidation. I actually talked the next door neighbor into getting one, but never noticed any difference other than the French/English labels and the CBS logo- gameplay I always thought was the same.

Back to topic--

I love the sound of this thing, and I love the fact that it's A) Backwards compatible and B) "80's engineered" using parts from the time.

While I'm of course *IN*, I'm curious, any estimates as to what this would have cost at the time (1983/4ish)? Also, how will it spec out compared to the NES/Famicom? After all, the CV was released in late Sumemr 1982, while the NES debuted in Japan in summer 1983. I would 'expect' the OPModule would step up or beyond the NES... but either way, I'm stoked to see where this goes!

The idea of programming packs is a great innovation too! Hope it's better than Garry Kitchen's GameMaker-- while I know some loved it, I was never able to get it to do what I wanted. :) (http://www.mts.net/~kbagnall/commodore/gamemaker/info.html)

Great! 10 names. Ok, 10 more and I think we can start... :)

Count me in for 100$, if you haven't already. :)

Are you kidding? Since you are the producer, I was counting you for half of our budged, at least... ;)

About the video, I amnot going to wast my time till we have some confirmed source for that video IC. Besides, the sound CPU is light years more complex. The new video is work for a weekend. :)

Eduardo

Will this work with the ADAM?

Tempest

Hi Tempest,

Hm, I suppose it won't. The OM uses several new I/O ports, which are used by the ADAM for something else. But I am not completely sure. I have seen two versions of the ADAM computer, one all-in-one version and another with two module (the one that eColeco sells). I think the OM would work with the latter.

Eduardo

I love the sound of this thing, and I love the fact that it's A) Backwards compatible and B) "80's engineered" using parts from the time.

Hehe... That you have heard is only 2 sound channels of the Wave PSG chip. The best is yet to come... :D

While I'm of course *IN*, I'm curious, any estimates as to what this would have cost at the time (1983/4ish)? Also, how will it spec out compared to the NES/Famicom?

NES?! The OM can surpass the NES in the graphic department, and can surpass the X68000 in the sound department. ;)

Count me in for 100$, if you haven't already. :)

Are you kidding? Since you are the producer, I was counting you for half of our budged, at least... ;)

Well okay, if you look at it that way... (* draws out cheque book *) :D

About the video, I am not going to wast my time till we have some confirmed source for that video IC. Besides, the sound CPU is light years more complex. The new video is work for a weekend. :)

But didn't you get the sound stuff working over the course of the last week-end...? :P :D

Anyhow, did you get my latest e-mail on this subject?

(And to everybody else who's wondering, yes, I will be Opcode Games' produder starting next January. I'm not all that clear on what my responsabilities will be exactly, but the whole point is to relieve some of the non-programming burdens off Eduardo's back, so he can do more CV programming, and also work on the Opgrade Module. We'll see how it goes over the next few months.)

I finished porting the Knightmare soundtrack using the WSG sound chip and recorded it. The recording starts with the original CV PSG version that I ported last year, then follows with the new WSG version. I appologize for the poor recording quality, it was taken directly from the TV speaker, so there is a lot of noise. I can make better recordings once I implement the audio outputs. Anyway it gives a good idea for what to expect. But keep in mind that the WSG isn't my first choice for music with the OM. The FM chip will fit the bill better, with the ADPCM supporting it with drums.

Eduardo

km_om.mp3

(And to everybody else who's wondering, yes, I will be Opcode Games' produder starting next January. I'm not all that clear on what my responsabilities will be exactly, but the whole point is to relieve some of the non-programming burdens off Eduardo's back, so he can do more CV programming, and also work on the Opgrade Module. We'll see how it goes over the next few months.)

I thought your first responsability was to sign cheques. Oh, well... :)

But seriously, it's correct, Opcode Games has now gotten its own version of Rick McCallum... :D

Eduardo

We need a countdown/fund meter site. :) The $100 peeps count twice- so we should be that much closer to the $4,000 mark! :)

If anyone can write/web design it, I can host it at Colecocollector.com-- it's fairly dormant right now, but eventually gonna get overlays, manuals, scans and stuff on the site.

We need a countdown/fund meter site. :) The $100 peeps count twice- so we should be that much closer to the $4,000 mark! :)

If anyone can write/web design it, I can host it at Colecocollector.com-- it's fairly dormant right now, but eventually gonna get overlays, manuals, scans and stuff on the site.

Keep in mind that Eduardo is just testing the waters right now. This consortium will actually kick into full swing a little later, once certain details have been ironed out (video chip issues mostly, but other things too) and Eduardo has a final prototype to demonstrate to all of us. Eduardo will also be moving to the US within a month, so he will have to put all his projects on hold while he settles in. It's fair to expect real progress on this project in January 2007.

Count me in for $100 at a minimum.

And FWIW, I don't need anything more from you Eduardo than your word.

I don't need to see a proto, videos, or anything else.

If you tell me wou can build it, that's all I need.

I'm in, just let me know when and how to get you the money.

Keep in mind that Eduardo is just testing the waters right now. This consortium will actually kick into full swing a little later, once certain details have been ironed out (video chip issues mostly, but other things too) and Eduardo has a final prototype to demonstrate to all of us. Eduardo will also be moving to the US within a month, so he will have to put all his projects on hold while he settles in. It's fair to expect real progress on this project in January 2007.

Yeah, I caught that part. But I'm suggesting a running list of who's in and who's not so A) no one gets over looked B) we can recruit more as needed, or up our buy-ins C) make sure he has the capital when he decides on the chips-- as he stated, some may be in limited quantities, and hate to loose a source in mid-stream because the funds weren't yet available.

I was just suggesting a 'meter' like in a charity thingv (IE http://www.rahh.org/YIfund.jpg)-- and a secondary one as the monies actually show up. :)

We have a goal, and we shall reach it is my opinion. I also believe this is the kind of thing that will get more people talking and lookign at Colecovision again. I'm not sure it will make kids put their Wii down, but could bring a lot of people back to the Coleco world, at least for a little bit!

That said, if you need a hand with anything Pixelboy, lemme know-- I'll do what I can to help the cause.

Edited by Murph74

That said, if you need a hand with anything Pixelboy, lemme know-- I'll do what I can to help the cause.

Alright then, as the soon-to-be-official producer of Opcode Games, I'm putting you in charge of this "contribution meter" project. I'd like to do it myself, but I'm already too busy with several current projects.

I trust you will do a good job with this without my (or opcode's) intervention, so just post a message in this thread once your meter web site is up. :)

Thanks for your help!

Woo hoo! Can I be "Senior VP of Finance Reports" or something cool like that? :)

If anyone has any suggestions or scripts or anything to help set this up, let me know! Be ideal to have a page where you can use a username, email, and commit amount that posts automatically where everyone can see who and how much has been pledged. Best design I've seen was MADD's shifting gears website.

I also believe this is the kind of thing that will get more people talking and lookign at Colecovision again. I'm not sure it will make kids put their Wii down, but could bring a lot of people back to the Coleco world, at least for a little bit!

Considering that Colecovisions are going for over AUD$100 on eBay.com.au at the moment (one went for AUD$157 yesterday), there seems to be a fair bit of interest in the units here in Oz :D

Not that good for us who are after a back up unit for our tired consoles or the last bit of missing hardware (Expansion Module #1).

Anyway, back on thread, I think the meter and register is a really good idea so we can be sure that everybody is "registered" and know when the required level of capital has been reached.

As I'm over the water, I could help with testing of PAL capabilities but not much more than that, for me this is a great way of supporting a fantastic home brew effort.

Edited by AussieAtari

Hi!

First of all, thanks for the "contribution meter" idea. Really nice. Perhaps the best place to host such page would be in my own Opcode website (but of course it's just a suggestion). In fact, I think it is very important to have an official OM project page, so I can keep all contributors informed. I will see what I can do this weekend.

Well, the related OM news of the day is that I ordered the first batch of ICs today. 100 pieces of our first sound chip, from a Chinese supplier. This way I can check if the supplier is trustable or not, before I risk someone else money. Let’s see...

And slightly off-topic here, I received the official Pac-Man Collection logo from Dale today. It's finally coming guys... :D

Eduardo