IGNORED

Zimag - Emag

Rom Hunter

Great review, Tempest.

I'm looking forward to read the Spinning Fireball review.

Some extra info:

A Mysterious Thief (Zimag - Emag) was also released as:

A Misterious Thief by CCE (C-839)

Criminal Pursuit by Video Game Cartridge - Ariola (TP-619)

Criminal Persuit by Rainbow Vision - Suntek (PAL) (SS-36)

Eddy Langfinger, der Museumsdieb by Quelle (PAL) (732.052 6)

Quelle could have released it as Criminal Persuit (as a short case), but that's not sure.

8)

Rom Hunter is the God of obscure crappy 2600 games.

Eh... Thanks.

Tempest,

I played A Mysterious Thief for a while and after picking up enough treasures a helicopter appeared!

I jumped onto it and I got points for time left.

The second level starts with a five minute time limit again.

You can choose to play with another person by pressing F2.

BTW: I noticed that the (score and timer) font used in Immies & Aggies, Spinning Fireball and A Mysterious Thief are exactly the same, which suggests that Emag, Zimag and Vidco are indeed one and the same company.

8)

post-6203-1112877305_thumb.jpg

I'm impressed. I've never heard of one person cracking so many games in so little time. Until now, most of us though these were unplayable as opposed to extremely complicated or weird.

That font looks like the old Activision style which was copied by a lot of companies.

Tempest,  

I played A Mysterious Thief for a while and after picking up enough treasures a helicopter appeared!  

I jumped onto it and I got points for time left.  

The second level starts with a five minute time limit again.  

Ah ha! I thought there was something I was missing. I will have to update my review now. I guess I'm just not good enough to get the helecopter to appear yet.

Tempest

A Mysterious Thief (Zimag - Emag) was also released as:

Criminal Pursuit by Video Game Cartridge - Ariola (TP-619)

Quelle could have released it as Criminal Persuit (as a short case), but that's not sure.

Is there any proof that links Ariola to the TP-xxx line of games? Ariola distributed games in Germany, and the TP-xxx games were also sold in Holland, Belgium, Australia and probably more. Also, Ariola releases are mostly recognizable by a sticker on the box, the TP-xxx games do not have that.I just list the TP-xxx games as Taiwanese pirate (though a very nice one at that).

The same goes for Quelle releasing Criminal Persuit in a short case. If it came in a short case, it's most likely not a Quelle-only release, but a regular Taiwanese pirate that was also sold by Quelle. The real Quelle release is "Eddy the Longfinger".

Cheers,

Marco

That's not very likely. There's not a copyright notice or anything like that to be found on boxes or in manuals. Why or how Quelle got away with their 'piracy' is still a mystery. The big producers like Atari and Activision must have known about Quelle, but I've never heard of any big lawsuits against Quelle. Maybe one of the German collectors knows more?

Cheers,

Marco

Is there any proof that links Ariola to the TP-xxx line of games? Ariola distributed games in Germany, and the TP-xxx games were also sold in Holland, Belgium, Australia and probably more. Also, Ariola releases are mostly recognizable by a sticker on the box, the TP-xxx games do not have that.I just list the TP-xxx games as Taiwanese pirate (though a very nice one at that).

I think you're right, Marco.

There is no real proof that links Ariola to the TP-xxx (Video Game Cartridge) line of games.

This is what Gamereset states:

"Boxen (Activision's Boxing) was found in Activision-packing. So we suppose them to be distributed by Ariola."

But Boxen is from the PGPxxx serie (Videospielkassette), so there's probably no link.

The same goes for Quelle releasing Criminal Persuit in a short case. If it came in a short case, it's most likely not a Quelle-only release, but a regular Taiwanese pirate that was also sold by Quelle. The real Quelle release is "Eddy the Longfinger".

Personally I don't think Quelle released Criminal Persuit in a short case.

I think they only released "Eddy Langfinger, der Museumsdieb".

8)

The picture is a bit abstract, but it does resemble the game. Was there a catalog entry for Immies & Aggies? I'm starting to think that was an Emag only game and not Zimag. It seems like Pizza Chef is a much more 'professionally' done game than the other three.

Tempest

The picture is a bit abstract, but it does resemble the game.

It almost looks like an early programmer's sketch.

Was there a catalog entry for Immies & Aggies?

I don't know.

This is the only scan I found.

It's from a ZiMAG catalogue or press kit.

You can clearly see the ZiMAG rainbow colours.

It seems like Pizza Chef is a much more 'professionally' done game than the other three.

I agree.

BTW, Tempest: I posted a TechnoVision press kit with an announcement of Locomotive in it:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67442

8)

• 1 month later...