IGNORED

Qb Label Contest!

Albert

If I were judging this, out of these final eight, I would choose David Exton's as first place (fifth one down), Cristiana Yambo's as second (sixth one down), and Cameron Pershall's as third (fourth one down).

Of course there were three designs out of that batch of 100 that I think should have been finalists, including Cristiana Yambo #1, and MoJoFLTR #1 (oh, okay, and my own humble #3 design). I love that clean, uncluttered, modern look. Too many labels (in videogaming in general) look too damn busy! Simplify! IMHO.

Holy Simians! I am seriously flattered to see that my entry was chosen in the top eight. And a good friend of mine was in the running too. Its crazy.

I just checked out www.cutedeadthings.com and that has got to be the cutest pile of dead animals in the known universe. Cristiana (I hope I spelled that right) your art is amazing. I loved the bat and the bunny the best, and that QB dracula was incredible. I can't tell you how amazed and happy these graphics make me.

Anyway, good luck to everyone.

Qb Label Contest Winners

Finally, what you've all been waiting for! Here are the winners of the Qb Label Contest!

1st Place, David Exton #1

QbMain_DavidExton_1.jpg

There's something about David's interpretation of the game which immediately 'clicked' for me. The overall style is, of course, extremely beautiful - but the joyful personality of the 'Qb guy', and rendering of the jeans and sneakers just as I'd envisaged them - well, that pretty much ensured that this one had to be the winner.

It wasn't easy, though - I had to think about it for a fair while. For the longest time, this one...

2nd Place, Chris Johnson #6

QbMain_ChrisJohnson_6.jpg

...was my favourite. Yes, I know it's done with clip-art, and it borrows heavily from other designs (eg: Thrust) in terms of look-and-feel. But again, the guy is wearing jeans and sneakers, and I really like the overall feel of this one. I've done my own 'playing around' variation of this, where I swapped the green monster guy for an octopus - perhaps I'll post that if there's enough interest I may end up using this for the regular edition, if Chris approves.

Chris's submission #5 delighted me, as the original genesis of the game had some roots in the sliding tile game, which Chris has used to divide the label. If Chris had used a nicer image for this one, I'd have had a much more difficult choice. But I liked the concept (and yes, the recursive ones, too) that I thought I'd just give a special mention.

I had enormous difficulty choosing third, but felt that it had to be awarded to...

3rd Place, Cristiana Yambo #2

QbMain_CristianaYambo_2.jpg

I was very taken by this effort, and liked very much the clever way that the tableaux subtly spelled the Qb title. Clearly this submission took a lot of work - but nonetheless is very 'clean' and 'simple' in final presentation.

Any of these (and many of the others) would have been perfect for labels for any production game - all in my opinion far superior to most '2600 labels of the Atari's heyday. I feel somewhat abashed, having to turn down such wonderful efforts - but would like to include every label submitted in the special edition CD documentation. So, if you do not want your submission included on the CD, please contact me.

Thank you to all participants. Would the winners please contact me (at qb@atar2600.org) with their names and postal addresses, so that I can arrange for their prizes to be sent ASAP.

Once again, thanks to Albert and the AtariAge crew/site for their hosting of the competition. So that's it, all over! Now I have chosen the winners it is time to get the Special Edition out the door! I'll be making a short announcement about that on the board shortly.

Cheers

A

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Davie:

1st Place, David Exton #1

Looks like XYPE is going to become a "all labels designed by David Exton" group.

Perhaps I should start a contest for Thrust and Jammed too, so that all the other brilliant designers get some more chances?

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

That's a good idea. I don't want a monopoly on this

I was mainly joking, because I don't think anybody can beat the IMHO brilliant labels you did for my two games.

So I think, we all have to wait for XYPE release #5.

You can feel free to use my artwork in the CD Documentation, but how do I get a copy of it? I would like to have a copy of at least the documentation for fun. Can I pay you for a copy of it, I heard you sold out of the game itself but perhaps a copy of the documentation? Let me know. And thanks for a great contest Andrew.

Dale Crum

Congrats, David! It looks like you're the Xype house designer! I like the consistency of design with the Gunfight label... too bad the Jammed and Thrust labels don't have the same "look." It would be cool if all the Xype titles had that "graphic popping out of the oval" design. Kind of how real videogame companies have a consistant look -- you know, BRANDING. Very very cool design on Qb! You were my top choice too!

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

Oh
you're
Uwe. I liked yours too, some serious 3D graphics in that one. nice

Thanks for the compliment.

But for the next contest I will usr a more comic like style.

Photorealistic 3D-rendering looks very good on the screen or on a photo-printer with photo-paper.

But on a "normal" printer with "normal"-paper it looks really bad.

Unfortunately I realize this truth after the contest.

But you a never to old to learn.

Bye Uwe

@liveinabin

Have you draw the Qb manual and then scan or direct on the pc ?

Oh right, well - I painted the picture in acrylic paints. Then scanned it into Photoshop (on my mac! PC indeed, ha!), which I also used for the linework and text (linework done with a Wacom graph-tablet and pen). The circle shape, label surround and, well, any really geometric stuff is done in Flash and imported into Photoshop. The painting is the important bit though. - hope that helps

dave