IGNORED

Rainbow Vision/Suntek (updated list on post 1!)

Rom Hunter

Ski Hunt and Ski Run share a lot of the same code.  They were both by the same author because they are dissimilar enough that it isn't just a hack.  Ski Hunt looks like the earlier game since it has no music.

These are all speculations, R. Cade.

The only thing that's certain is that:

Ski Hunt and Ski Run are two different ski games.

Ski Hunt is a Home Vision title.

Ski Run is a Taiwan R.O.C. title.

It's not even certain that Ski Run from Suntek is the same game as Ski Run from Taiwan R.O.C.

8)

Rom I have to agree with Cade on this one for both Ski games are far too similiar in looks and play to be coincidental. Both look as if more care was taken in their development than any other Rainbow/Home Vision game and I have never come across a Taiwan ROC releaset that looks as good as these two. I dont think that any Taiwan group released these. i think another company entirely developed them but the question remains as to who? ;)

Although they do look very similar, according to CloneSpy, Ski Run and Ski Hunt don't share any code.

I didn't say that Taiwan R.O.C. released Ski Run.

I said that it's a Taiwan R.O.C. title, just as Catch Time (AKA Plaque Attack) is a Taiwan R.O.C. title.

I really hope that someone will come up with the true identity of Ski Run from Suntek (SS-024) someday.

Talking about Suntek, I discovered something else a long time ago:

After examining both the Suntek and the Rainbow Vision boxes of the same game, I discovered that the Rainbow Vision logo on the boxes misses a rainbow colour (dark green) that the fronts of Suntek (and Rainbow Vision) boxes do have.

Therefore I think that Suntek came before Rainbow Vision.

Rainbow Vision inspired it's name and logo from the original rainbow colours on the Suntek boxes.

BTW: here's the NTSC Ski Run ROM.

Ski_Run__2600_Screen_Search_Console___Jone_Yuan_Telephonic_Enterprise_Co_.bin

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Now that makes for very interesting reading. So we have been looking at this backwards. What about Home Vision. Were they after Sun Tek too? There is a definite link between all these companies. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they all have one parent company much like the washing powder companies where there are 5 companies producing all the different washing products between them ;)

Although they do look very similar, according to CloneSpy, Ski Run and Ski Hunt don't share any code.

I didn't say that Taiwan R.O.C. released Ski Run.

I said that it's a Taiwan R.O.C. title, just as Catch Time (AKA Plaque Attack) is a Taiwan R.O.C. title.

I really hope that someone will come up with the true identity of Ski Run from Suntek (SS-024) someday.

Talking about Suntek, I discovered something else a long time ago:

After examining both the Suntek and the Rainbow Vision boxes of the same game, I discovered that the Rainbow Vision logo on the boxes misses a rainbow colour (dark green) that the fronts of Suntek (and Rainbow Vision) boxes do have.

Therefore I think that Suntek came before Rainbow Vision.

Rainbow Vision inspired it's name and logo from the original rainbow colours on the Suntek boxes.

BTW: here's the NTSC Ski Run ROM.

I did a quickie NTSC fix on that and they did the same thing I did (reduce overscan), which doesn't fix the skier colors. I did "fix" the sky colors though as it looks very strange for the sky to be orange, unless your skiing at sunset. :)

The games share the same graphic elements, but the code is quite different, especially in the way it derives colors, as Ski Run doesn't use lookup tables. Ski Run's colors are just awful- look at the trees and other stuff. This can be fixed easily, but then it's a "hack" and not something that was released on cart and I'm not sure I want to get into that.

skigames.zip

• 1 month later...

Ok,

Who owns Ski Run (SS-024) from Suntek?

Who owns Spectracube Invasion (SS-025) from Suntek?

Who owns Asteroid Belt (SS-029) from Suntek?

And who owns a Suntek cartridge with one of the following model numbers:

SS-018

SS-026

SS-027

SS-028

There must be somebody who owns one of these Suntek carts.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit.

Thanks a lot, Marco.

You solved two riddles at once:

S.S. means Sun Science.

Spectracube Invasion is Immies & Aggies.

This makes sense.

Finally then....

I'm going to update the Suntek list immediately.

Thanks again, Marco!

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter