IGNORED

Recomended X-box Titles

pmpddytim

I'm looking into getting an x-box. What titles would you suggest. No sports please, but I like just about everything else.

I think I want Fable and Halo 1 (Why is that still $30 BTW its like 4 years old?).

But other than that I don't know what to look for. Any good Star Wars games, RPGs,is Doom 3 a respectable port of the PC version..........

Suggestions for online compatable games would be nice to Iplan to get a LIVE subscription to see if I can get into online gaming.

-Tim

I wasn't a big fan of Fable. Pretty overrated and underdeveloped, imho. However, a lot of people loved it, so there you go.

Halo 1 is a good choice - I liked it significantly better than the sequel (though no Live support).

I thought Knights of the Old Republic was awesome, and it's only $20. A definite must buy. It's the best game I've played on the Xbox.

Soul Calibur 2 is the best fighting game out there. Not online, but a great game all around.

I just started Doom 3 the other week. I haven't played the PC version, but it's pretty cool so far, plus co-op play on Live. Decent graphics, amazing sound, very tense atmosphere. So far the frame rate is solid. I'm liking it.

Panzer Dragoon Orta is just a blast to play, and it's simply stunning looking. If you're into 'rail' shooters or arcade-style games, you should give it a try.

I hear great things about Project Gotham 2, and it has great Live support, though I haven't played it personally. Not sure if you consider racing 'sports'.

I would recommend both Fable and Halo. 2 of the best games on the system in my opinion. Halo 2 is also good but you might as well just get 1 because it's cheaper. There's very little difference in gameplay.

So far doom 3 seems like a great game and while the graphics aren't quite up to par with the pc version they still look great on the xbox.

If you don't already have a version of it ,Metal Slug 3 is great on xbox.Another great game is Ninja Gaiden.

As far as rpg's knights of the old republic and fable are probably the best. The two Baldur's Gate games are good as well and pretty cheap now. Morrowind is cool if you like non-linear rpg's with a huge world to explore. Crimson skies is a nice flying game.

When I first got my xbox I bought it mainly for halo but by now there's tons of nice games for it. I'm sure you'll enjoy the system.

Edited by AlexKIDD

Halo 1 (Why is that still $30 BTW its like 4 years old?).

Because it's still pretty much the Xbox cash cow & they're milking it for every cent.

You'll find the ratio for highly regarded/rated Xbox games to PS2 games seems like 1:3.

Yeah, Crimson Skies is great if you play it with another person or pick a level you like and just shoot at stuff. It's the best flying game I have played so far. It's just fun to forget about the game and fly around and shoot at stuff. The music is movie-quality and the graphics are very 'pretty.' The linear gameplay sucks, but as I said, I just get to a certain level and play it whenever I'm in the mood.

Everyone says Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Game of the Year Edition) is great. I had to buy the older, buggier version without the extra stuff, but even that was pretty fun.

Not too long from now Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Half Life 2 will be coming out for the Xbox. I bet both of those will be worth having.

That's still in some doubt - maybe it will end up on Xbox 360 (if that is what they call it)

838329[/snapback]

That sucks. If it comes out for the next one, at least it will look even better, but I was hoping to play it this year. The demo on my PC is OK, but I hate playing stuff like that on the computer.

Chip it, and play LOADS of great games from other systems. Just done that to mine and it's way more fun than just Xbox vanilla. Imagine pretty much every console from history in widescreen in full dolby digital 5.1 :)

For retail you cant go worng with Gta3, GTA vc, Panzer dragoon Orta, Shenmue 2, outlaw golf, Fable & doom 3. The real fun starts when you mod it though. Im into the ports like quake 2, rise of the triads, duke nukem etc. The xbox can become many consoles in one which is convenient if you need space.

Just finished :

Brothers In Arms (I really thought this was a great original FPS)

Doom 3 (Good, but short and pretty basic FPS. Good scares though.)

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (Fantastic solo and great online)

HOWEVER !

I just picked up Jade Empire and I absolutely cannot believe how good it is.

It could be one of the best RPG's I have ever played.

If you like RPG's it is a MUST.

If you don't like RPG's, it is a MUST.

I have never been this into an RPG in a long time.

For the Xbox, I liked Fable, KOTOR (one and two), and Morrowind was amazing, but Jade Empire simply blows them away.

I can't stop playing. My rave is now over.

Don't forget to try:

Ninja Gaiden

Oddworld Stranger

Beyond Good and Evil

The Xbox is sort of letting me down. But here's what I've found so far.

Star Wars KOTOR was a huge let down. I dont think it will age well at all.

Fable was great.... man it could have easily been the best game ever if it was longer.

I got Jet Set Radio Future for 3 bucks. Tons of fun... Stylish game.

Street Fighter II Anniversary Collection was disappointing in a HUGE way.

Lego Star Wars and Oddworld Stranger look cool. Will def. check out. Happy hunting.

CV

Just a few of my recommendations: ;)

Doom 3

Panzer Dragoon Orta - just for the frustration it helps you let out ;)

Soul Calibur 2

The Thing

The Suffering

Halo 1 & 2 (of course) ;)

Beyond Good & Evil

Fatal Frame

XIII

Deus Ex Invisible War

007 Nightfire

Serious Sam

Splashdown

SSX Tricky

Crimson Skies

JSRF

Voodoo Vince

and others

also if you're a fan of hockey i HIGHLY recommend NHL 2002 and the ESPN line of hockey games - Hitz 2002 is pretty damn good too :)

Rainbow Six 3 is good and it is pretty cheap. Armed and Dangerous is a very good shooter that has humor mixed in with it. Both can be found pretty low priced. Doom 3 CE is worth the price IMO, they did take short cuts but I would rather play it on my Xbox than the PC. I love Ultimate Doom and Doom II on it, very fun. Unreal Championship 2 came out and it looks amazing but I haven't played it any. It has some new gameplay.

Here are just some quick suggestions that are some of my favorites and the average price you can find them for:

Jet Set Radio Future / Sega GT: The old pack in can be found at EB I think it is for about $4.00.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Fills Star Wars and RPG requirement - $20.00 new anywhere.

OutRun 2: Incredible, and can be had for $20.00.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time: For only $20.00, great action / adventure.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy: You can find this one for under $10.00 used, and it is well worth it. Another great action / adventure game.

Headhunter: Redemption: Sadly, not as incredible as the first Headhunter, but still worth the price of admission ($20.00). Great 3rd person game.

Morrowind: I personally don't like it, but if you are into RPGs you will. I got the non-GOTY editon for my friend for his birthday for $5.00 from GameStop used (as one of a few gifts ;) ) and he has said it was awesome. I tried it and didn't have the same feeling, but if you like RPGs you probably will.

If you're even curious about a sports title or two, I'd suggest any of the 2K5 series of games. I don't care for sports titles, but for $20.00 I have picked up baseball, basketball and football and I really love them. These are the first sports games since Tecmo Bowl that I've been into! I can't stop playing stupid MLB 2K5. I'm about 50 games into an 81 game season...

That's it for now. Good luck with it! It (just like anything, really) is a fun system with a lot of quality titles!

I love the StarWars Starfighter...so even though they are PS2 quality titles visually they are still excellent...so pick up Starfighter and Jedi Starfighter for uber cheap gaming fun! I picked up a used copy of Jedi for ten bucks at EB...came with box and manual!

Did I mention that Jade Empire is un-freaking-believable!

(I know I did, but I just wanted to say it again.)

I can't remember the last time a game made me think about playing all day.

I literally can't wait to get home tonight, put my kid to bed and fire up the Xbox.

It's that good.

There are too many to recomend...

Short list

Halo 1 & 2

Rainbow Six 3/Black Arrow/ Lockdown

Project Gotham 1&2

Kotor 1 &2

Fable

Jade Empire

Ninja Gaiden

Splinter Cell 1,2 & especially Chaos Theory <- Best Game on the XBOX

Phantom Dust

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Doom 3

Prince of Persia Sands of Time

Crimson Skies

Metal Slug 3 Soon Metal Slug 4&5 :)

Mech Assaults are fun if that is your thing or you have LIVE

Pick your extreme sports game, there are tons

Tons of other Racers Look for Forza soon, the true GT killer...

Pick your sports game, there are tons

TONS More but I cant list them all.

Needless to say, there are large numbers of $20< titles for the xbox. Plenty to keep anyone busy for at least a solid year of gaming at this point.

Edited by jeepnut24

Great reccomendations so far. I also like Return to Castle Wolfenstien. The single

play is fun and the multiplay is great. The number of online games available has started to slow down, but still a fun play for under $20.

My shortlist would be...

Halo 1 + 2

Deus Ex - Invisible War

Project Gothem Racing 2 (PGR1 isn't that good)

Steel Battalion

Rainbow Six (any of them)

Burnout 3

KoToR (great for 1 solid week)

Fable (great for 1 solid week)

If you have Live then add the following...

Mech Assault 1 or 2

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Crimson Skies

I would add Flat Out but nobody plays it anymore - shame.

Burnout 3 was great for playing on Live (a feature which I bought Crimson Skies for, but that oddly worked better for me as 1 player!) but I'll wholly recommend Burnout 1 also.

It just looks so damn good, especially considering its age.

Apart from that, yeah KOTOR is awesome, Panzer Dragoon Orta is good (but not as good as a Panzer Saga sequel would have been :( )

Halo is pretty good, though I'm no FPS fan. Well, it was good up until the 'Library' bit anyway.

Outrun 2 is also good if you can put up with it's terminally unforgiving 'old school' gameplay (damn, it's hard - and surprisingly crap online).