IGNORED

Hardsynth

emkay

Off course I know why you'd want more pitchresolution. Sorry, maybe I asked the wrong question.

Another try :) :

How is 16bit (which means you'd combine voice 1&2&3 I suppose) going to HELP you? I don't see how it would help getting better resolution :?:

Seems, you got me wrong. It's not needed to have a 16 bit sawtooth (which would actually take use of all four channels).

A proper control for the "standard" 16 bit was good enough to have such FX in tunes. Which means to handle the 16 bit as 16 bit ... not with double 8 bit trickery.

Yes, I got you wrong. Sorry for that. My brain is like a scrambled egg these days :D

Somehow I linked your story about 'sawtooth portamento' and '16bit notes'.

Seems worth a try to think about some kind of 'multisound' envelopes for multi-pitch / combined arpeggio-portamento.

Seems worth a try to think about some kind of 'multisound' envelopes for multi-pitch / combined arpeggio-portamento.

Indeed ;-)

You get very interesting results when "chaining" several sounds at the same pitch instead of using simple arpeggios.

You actually can produce audible reverbs with one channel.

Btw: Does this one have the "drive" of the original or not?

:ponder:

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing the stereo tests... here a special one...

This time the main voice is using 15khz again. But now in a more difficult matter:

The voice runs on the edge of the possible filter manipulations in RMT and the emulation. Additional it uses special "correction instruments" to prevent the voice from cancelling.... even when using portamento!

Possibly it sounds totally difficult on the real thing (I still dont have a dual pokey for testing)...

@Mux

If you want to do us a favour with tune recordings, how about this one :-)

...(I still dont have a dual pokey for testing)...

@Mux

Me neither, I just have a few single-pokey ataris. The only way for me is to hack your file, split it into separate left and right parts. Then recording left and right consecutively. Then try to glue it together at the end. I can do it, but it's some work.

Anyway, did you receive my last e-mail, by the way? Or didn't you have time yet to reply? Busy life? :D

...(I still dont have a dual pokey for testing)...

@Mux

Me neither, I just have a few single-pokey ataris. The only way for me is to hack your file, split it into separate left and right parts. Then recording left and right consecutively. Then try to glue it together at the end. I can do it, but it's some work.

Perhaps someone with a complete PAL Stereo Setup could do some recording.

Anyway, did you receive my last e-mail, by the way? Or didn't you have time yet to reply? Busy life? :D

Oops, I must have overseen it...

Here is my recording of the last hardsynth stereo track 'cyb'.

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~bpos/cyb/cyb.mp3

Hm.... interesting...

I guess, the real pokey isn't only a bit more stable than the emulation, huh?

The sounds on the real pokey don't even "dare" to cancel them out, where the emulation results in too different sound characteristics.

But, there are some really interesting points in the tune where some low pass filter "sounding" is recognizable.

Not to say that the sounds are rather less noisy than I though they were.

Thanks for the recording.

wow.. this one.. if I was asked without knowing, I would have said that it was.. another computer :) (don't want to start another flame war).. really nice! and the mp3 is better yet.. great work emkay

NRV

As you might hear that the sound in the MP3 is much more stable and noiseless compared to the XEX file, I guess it is the best demonstration that this is by far not the "upper" limit of what is really possible.

If only those timing issues were solved and RMT was using filter correction.... (still dreaming ;-) )

As you might hear that the sound in the MP3 is much more stable and noiseless compared to the XEX file

If only the volume balance between the channels was chosen somewhat differently ;) ...with respect to the music arrangement it can be optimized a lot, even in RMT. Me in particular don't like the specific tune that much. Can't think of alternatives now though.

If only those timing issues were solved and RMT was using filter correction.... (still dreaming ;-) )

Who says we need RMT to do this?

After all, filters are not the only thing of Pokey still not totally figured out yet, and used to the upper limit. The so-called 16bit effect has also nice suprises, which someday I want to point out. But not yet now ;)

Still waiting till the 2-tone filter will be implemented officially in emulation libraries. Still an unexplored domain of pokey functionality.

If only the volume balance between the channels was chosen somewhat differently ;)

Hehe... it is some kind of praise to me ;-) , because I wanted it that way. Only the "main voice" is a somehow too loud for my taste. But it wasn't to make a fully finished POKEY tune (which is simply not possible with the available software) , it was for a filter-timing-demonstrating-purpose :ponder:

And, don't forget that the start of the deeper notes suffer by the long time of filter correction. Particular when the notes are played fast.

POKEY filter correction will get really impressive if it can be used correctly. You can give some characterizing to the voice... from aggressive over neutral to sweet... at one note/frequency..... in one tune.... as the musician wiches... not Random!

The sad thing is: You cannot use filter and 16 bit at once for separated channels. But after some tracker supports one softsynth(looking again at the space harrier digiplayer) voice, the musician could easily switch between all possibilities...

Hehe... it is some kind of praise to me ;-) , because I wanted it that way. ....it was for a filter-timing-demonstrating-purpose

I think the filters are handled/treated very well in this testtune. Especially the full stereo tone-ladders around 2:22 min. and the portamentos. Did you use multiple instruments to obtain this ? :D

About the sawtooth instrument: this is a different story. Notationtable for the sawtooth is still not good enough. I'm not satisfied with this. Sawtooth should really be treated by 16bit notation table.

Hehe... it is some kind of praise to me ;-) , because I wanted it that way. ....it was for a filter-timing-demonstrating-purpose

I think the filters are handled/treated very well in this testtune. Especially the full stereo tone-ladders around 2:22 min. and the portamentos. Did you use multiple instruments to obtain this ? :D

Just one correction per pattern.... nothing more. You might hear the positions clearly. It's when the "surpressed" sound type switches to a nicer one.

About the sawtooth instrument: this is a different story. Notationtable for the sawtooth is still not good enough. I'm not satisfied with this. Sawtooth should really be treated by 16bit notation table.

Hm.... In this tune i'm really satisfied with the sawtooth itself. Particular around 2:57 - 3:08 on the right channel there is a really good (imho best heard pizzicato yet) example.

What about this one?

(If you might want to make an MP3 also, for comparision)....

Or this one?

And a 3rd one...

The more it gets to "clear" notes , the more it gets different between the emulations already.... So I only can "approximate" how it sounds on the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Another test.

Some explanations....

I decided to "break" the sawtooth here a bit, because the emulation sounds still "drunken" somehow when handling it.

The timing belongs again to the 2nd "main" voice. Well, sometimes I like the result and sometimes not.

The bass, it sounds ok-ish , but really would like to have a pokey tracker that was able to create it per digi sounds ;-)

Edited by emkay

Another test.

Some explanations....

I decided to "break" the sawtooth here a bit, because the emulation sounds still "drunken" somehow when handling it.

The timing belongs again to the 2nd "main" voice. Well, sometimes I like the result and sometimes not.

The bass, it sounds ok-ish , but really would like to have a pokey tracker that was able to create it per digi sounds ;-)

Seems you interchanged the two drumkit instruments by accident. You did this several times in the past (violin of doom f.e.). In the middle part, where the drums start, there's a bassdrum and a hihat. They should be interchanged, I think.

I'm curious. What caused your interest in doing stereo pokey tunes?

Seems you interchanged the two drumkit instruments by accident. You did this several times in the past (violin of doom f.e.). In the middle part, where the drums start, there's a bassdrum and a hihat. They should be interchanged, I think.

Possibly, but the "drum" results by the frequency changing as is needed for the snare.... I like it somehow´. Perhaps caused by the drums of many gameboy tunes that are played on Kohina Radio.

But if a musician feels to make things better .... :ponder:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

anyway, Raster is great!

I share an example:

I took a music file .s3m (Starshine of Purple Motion), I modified instruments and reduced the number of tracks, exports to .mod format and then imported into Raster Tracker. They replaced a few instruments by some arrangements.

It would be great if it could use samples in some instruments.

Enjoy:strshnPM.zip

Edited by JIMPACK

• 13 years later...