IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

Nice pics Curt!  That is a teeny system!  I like it!  The stix look great and I'd have to guess they have the same feel as the originals?  I especially love the Atari Logo on the top right corner of the stick!  A very nice touch!

Actually, they feel like the other JAKKs sticks. They feel like they use microswitches rather than dome switches.

They are kinda loose. They don't have the "bending plastic" resistance effect of the originals.

Still more than adequate.

Nice pics Curt!  That is a teeny system!  I like it!  The stix look great and I'd have to guess they have the same feel as the originals?  I especially love the Atari Logo on the top right corner of the stick!  A very nice touch!

Actually, they feel like the other JAKKs sticks. They feel like they use microswitches rather than dome switches.

They are kinda loose. They don't have the "bending plastic" resistance effect of the originals.

Still more than adequate.

859724[/snapback]

Well actually, the originals (1977) used springs for all the contacts and had a looser feeling as well. These are more in line with those. The later ones (that most people are familiar with) used the plastic domes/ring.

See, and there in lies the beauty of those Starplex controllers, you can use them on the FB 2.0 for Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe too. Trakballs on Missile Command, Centipede and Millipede too... Like your old Wico joysticks in stead, use them too.... same goes vice versa... brandy spanking new CX-40B's for use on your original 2600/7800 and Atari computers....

Curt

Lets hope so. I imagine they'll try the vector look on that as well. And speaking of vectors, the vector graphics on Lunar Lander (from the picture on the box) are impressive.

858486[/snapback]

Forget Hope, It better be! :D

I am jonzing for the FB2.0 8) :thumbsup: Ive got my starplex controller all ready for certain games ;) Man if the graphics are vector type on the deluxe im gonna be thrilled out of my mind with this little under $30 hobby toy 8) :thumbsup:

858499[/snapback]

Sorry I missed speaking with you Andy...

Yes, my team already has the new chipset layed out and product spec's are prepared and ready to go, the leap from FB 1 to FB 2.0 is a big one, the leap from 2.0 to 3.0 will be an even great leap forward.

Curt

Here are pictures taken today @ E3.

I had a long discussion with Oliver Comte from Atari France and more (3.0, etc.) will definitely be coming if the second Flashback is a success.

Enjoy !

858665[/snapback]

I must say that I'm really excited about the FB 2.0.0 and will definitely be picking up 1 or 2 when it gets released. I was on vacation the last week and could not wait to get back home to check on the news coming out of E3 about this product.

When can we expect the definites about this system - like the complete game list, specs, etc.? Has anyone confirmed that Yars' Return is included and, if so, who programmed this? Any screenshots of Caverns of Mars? I was eagerly anticipating E3 for news; now that it's come and gone, when's the next milestone for annoncements?

Wow - it feels great to be eagerly awaiting a release from Atari - it's been more than 20 years since I could say that!! :)

Thanks,

Sorry I missed speaking with you Andy...

It's okay. We'll see each other next year. I only had one day to meet so many people and it was just insane anyway.

BTW- I'd love to contribute some music to the future generations of the Flashback.

Yes, my team already has the new chipset layed out and product spec's are prepared and ready to go, the leap from FB 1 to FB 2.0 is a big one, the leap from 2.0 to 3.0 will be an even great leap forward.

Sounds really exciting... I can't wait to see (and purchase !) what you have in store.

Any possibility of offering a combo 2600 / 7800 w/ Pokey Emulation ?

AB.

P.S.: PM Sent.

The complete listed was included in the E3 Press CD's, so I was able to give Marty over at classicgaming.com the go-ahead on releasing the list, check over at his site for the full list and some additional exclusive photo's.

The box art he shows was pre-E3 artwork, the box shots you see here on AA are of the near-completed design of the final box art, I am holding the box and Albert took the photo's.

The box is a sort of 1980 black/blue combined with the later 1982 silver box design combined. Its still being finalized, but its almost completed.

I will show some more screenshots next weekend of some of the other games.

Curt

I must say that I'm really excited about the FB 2.0.0 and will definitely be picking up 1 or 2 when it gets released.  I was on vacation the last week and could not wait to get back home to check on the news coming out of E3 about this product. 

When can we expect the definites about this system - like the complete game list, specs, etc.?  Has anyone confirmed that Yars' Return is included and, if so, who programmed this?  Any screenshots of Caverns of Mars?  I was eagerly anticipating E3 for news; now that it's come and gone, when's the next milestone for annoncements?

Wow - it feels great to be eagerly awaiting a release from Atari - it's been more than 20 years since I could say that!! :)

Thanks,

859849[/snapback]

Well... I just got the official notice, last minute change, the unit is now officially designated the Atari Flashback 2, no longer the 2.0 I preferred 2.0 but its not my call, I voiced my view but the decision has been made.

Curt

my mouth finds it more enjoyable to say "The Flashback 2.0" compared to saying "The Flashback2"  im just a consumer so maybe it is a marketing scheme towards us shoppers ?

Let the french call it a deuce  :P

859040[/snapback]

Nope, what you heard is you can play Arcade Pong with the paddle if you plug them in, it will auto-sense joysticks or paddles. The hidden games are hidden, you have to find them with a joystick sequence, plugging in paddles will not reveal the hidden games.

Curt

I read somewhere that if you plug in paddle controllers, you can play two hidden games that require them.

859959[/snapback]

Well...   I just got the official notice, last minute change, the unit is now officially designated the Atari Flashback 2, no longer the 2.0     I preferred 2.0 but its not my call, I voiced my view but the decision has been made.

Curt

The FBDEUCE Thanks Frenchie's 8) :P

Edited by ATARIeric

Well... I just got the official notice, last minute change, the unit is now officially designated the Atari Flashback 2, no longer the 2.0 I preferred 2.0 but its not my call, I voiced my view but the decision has been made.

Curt

Reminds me of a toy line a few years back, which changed early on from Brand Name "II" (Roman numerals) to Brand Name "2". A lot of marketing people seem pretty sure consumers are too dumb to comprehend slight abstractions of numbers :)

Actually more likely they thought "2" implied a new product, while "2.0" implied an upgrade to a previous product.

I'm ever-so interested to see the new 2600 arcade games, like Lunar Lander, Asteroids Deluxe, and Space Duel. (and all the other kewl stuff too)

and while I'm here.... .... HANGMAN!?

... brandy spanking new CX-40B's for use on your original 2600/7800 and Atari computers....

This is a good reason for me to buy FB 2. I threw out the original style controllers with my woody 2600 when it stopped working in the mid 80s. Since 1991 I have been using the joypad that came with my 2600jr., although I recently bought a new set of paddle controllers. So it seems I can use my paddles to play Pong on the FB 2, yet another reason to buy, because I have never owned a Pong console. Everything sounds good so far, and I don't mind the new style Fuji.

Cool!! I like that game list. Why include 3D Tic Tac Toe? I can't wait to try "Yar's Return'.

860294[/snapback]

The unit needs to appeal to all players, not just action/space. I was rather surprised at E3, the proto units with the simple text selections included Video Checkers and Chess as we wanted to see what people would choose.... I saw one person deeply involved in playing Video Chess, quite a few people were playing video checkers too...

3D Tic Tac Toe is a simple and fun game, same with Hangman, Human Cannonball and even Frog Pond, it gives beginner gamers fun and easy games to start out with.

On the other hand, we included on the units Dodgem and Maze Craze and I saw more people playing those two games then even Missile Command and Yars' Revenge, Maze Craze seemed to be the most people since two people could play head to head at the same time, I showed some of the variantions, like the drones moving around the maze while the players tried to avoid them and get to the exit and people were loving it.

Several times I came back to a kiosk and saw the secret room in Adventure, so people were testing the system to see if they could get into Adventures secret room...

Oh, speaking of Secret Rooms, no one found the 2nd secret room in the Flashback-1 Adventure, interesting...

Other times I saw game 13 of Missile Command ended with RF initials in the bottom corner, so there were definitely some Easter Egg knowledgable players passing by the kiosks.

Curt

So, do we pronounce CX-40B as "forty-bee" or "four-oh-bee"?

860229[/snapback]

I pronounce it as "new stick." :)

860357[/snapback]

Its pronounced Forty B. We call it CX-Fourty, so why change how you say it?

860359[/snapback]

We no lnger call the FB2 the FB2.0 anymore so I think he was messing with you and the new pronunciation like the way I mess around here 8)

The FBdeuce

Edited by ATARIeric

Ok,  I like 40BEEZ myself,  so it will probablly be personal preference on how it rolls off the tongue.  Is it really a biggie on what a person calls a system or joystick :P

860375[/snapback]

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I took the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So, I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now to ride the ferry cost a nickel, but in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. 'Gimme 5 bees for a quarter,' you'd say. Now, where were we? Oh, yes.The important thing was, I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.