IGNORED

Alternate Reality: The City by Philip Price for Atari 800

Yeah, that makes sense, make a backup of the current playdisks at the same time you make a snapshot. Thanks.

Not that I expect an author to anticipate emulation and snapshotting and so forth, but I do sometimes get the impression that Price, talented though he was, seemed to obsess over certain details in a distinctly anti-player-enjoyment way (general pain involved in the saved game process, potions destroying themselves if you literally do so much as look at them wrong, etc.) A bit of the Mean DM in him, perhaps.

This is the first time I've seriously played the A800 version of AR: City, and I am indeed struck in the places it is in fact better than my originally beloved C64 implementation. It's actually the first time I realized that thing in the south is a waterfall, as the map indicates... from the C64 animation, I'd always thought it was some sort of alien antenna tower (which worked with the game's setting, of course...) It's also interesting noting the places certain glitches aren't replicated, such as the fact that the A8 version doesn't have the weird color change in the enclosed area near Betelgeuse Sales. It's also explicit about treasure finding effects. (Although the C64 rain is quite a bit better. The blue jaggy soup on the screen is something, but it is not clearly rain...)

It also inspired me to fire up the Amiga version for the first time in a while, and I was almost immediately put off by the lack of ambient sounds, the lack of the distinct surprise/disengaged/engaged modes, and even the lack of the waterfall... as though animating was tricky on the Amiga. Difficult to understand that one. OTOH, I do have a soft spot for the 16-bit versions owing to the "job" system. Hoping you get lucky enough to get a treasure finding potion so that you can make more than 2 coppers per day in the 8-bit versions is pretty tedious.

Edited by jcompton

• 3 weeks later...
Anyway in the dungeon I determined the bargining formula and it worked last night in the city.

Bascially to get the best price without getting thrown out is:

((Current Price - Last Offer Price) / 3) + Last Offer Price then rounded up. It works for at least three offers.

if you follow this formula you only need to pay around 50% of the inital price.

The Dungeon and ports are far more transparent than the original Atari 800 version. The Dungeon code is fairly straightforward and predictable. This is probably because those that ported The City and that created The Dungeon did not fully understand Philip's City code and just translated the basics. This is part of why The City is still mysterious even to this day, whereas The Dungeon plays much more like any other video game and is easy to predict.

It is a fact that CHR affects pricing and may also affect bargaining. It works in tiers though i.e. CHR 14-16 pricing is equal.

I was doing some testing a while back, its unfinished. Attached is the spreadsheet.

I also have another one somewhere with monster stats and damage.

AR_NPC_Pricing.zip

Edited by Xebec's Demise

From memory, I don't think clothing (or lack of) seemed to make any difference in AR: The City.

I have not seen any extensive testing of clothing ever, although it's one of the largest and most complex systems with many shops dedicated to it. There are thousands of combinations. Ever try to get a full outfit of the same color, quality and type and then study the effects on encounters? Philip is not the type of programmer to include such a major system for no reason and with no effect, I'll bet there is more to it than meets the eye. :)

Edited by Xebec's Demise

actually xd, in the retro datasoft newletter post here on atariage, they say that clothes dont mean anything until the city couples with the dungeon or something to that effect.

although it is odd that they would have such an intricate setup for absolutely no reason at all.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

actually xd, in the retro datasoft newletter post here on atariage, they say that clothes dont mean anything until the city couples with the dungeon or something to that effect.

although it is odd that they would have such an intricate setup for absolutely no reason at all.

They are definately wrong, at least where the Atari version of the city is concerned. That may be true of all the other versions. You are right, Philip didn't create such an intricate set-up for no reason at all, but at the moment, only Philip Price knows how it DOES work. I've started doing some testing with clothing but don't have much yet, only some unsubstantiated theories. When talking about the intricacies of Alternate Reality there have to be two conversations, Alternate Reality the City Atari 8-bit, and everything else (including A8 version of the dungeon). If someone took the maps and storyline of The Dungeon, and rewrote the game using the A8 city code, it would be a VERY different game and MUCH better. I love both games by the way.

Edited by Gunstar

When talking about the intricacies of Alternate Reality there have to be two conversations, Alternate Reality the City Atari 8-bit, and everything else (including A8 version of the dungeon).

No doubt.

The genius of Alternate Reality is Philip Price; his vision, his creativity and his coding.

Versions other than Alternate Reality: The City for the Atari 800 attempt to copy the apparent gameplay and numbers and even go as far as adding more “game” content and features to seemingly become more playable, definable and marketable as typical computer games, but in becoming mere games or puzzles to complete, they deviate from and miss the core concept. Philip was not trying to create another video game for people to solve and then shelve; he was creating a believable perpetual game world - an alternate reality.

...where every choice and action can affect the world around you.

Edited by Xebec's Demise

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings and salutations to you all. I've finally broken down and stopped just lurking. I'm a huge fan of the AR series, was ever so disappointed that it never got finished. During my time of lurking and looking I found that there was even a plan to revive the game that fell through. That really sucks.

I've been playing my old atari 8-bit version of the game. Have it on Atari, Amiga, Commodore 64 and IBM. I must say that I agree, the best version is the Atari version for sure. Even though you can do more things in some of the other releases, the Atari version is the one that has all the magic of the game.

Thanks for maintaining such a good forum for the reliving, sharing and enjoyment of those of us that know and love this wonderful game.

Hopefully Gary G. and Philip P. will grace us with their presences regularly.

Cap'n Drow

<text clipped>

Not that I expect an author to anticipate emulation and snapshotting and so forth, but I do sometimes get the impression that Price, talented though he was, seemed to obsess over certain details in a distinctly anti-player-enjoyment way (general pain involved in the saved game process, potions destroying themselves if you literally do so much as look at them wrong, etc.) A bit of the Mean DM in him, perhaps.

<text clipped>

(Although the C64 rain is quite a bit better. The blue jaggy soup on the screen is something, but it is not clearly rain...)

It also inspired me to fire up the Amiga version for the first time in a while, and I was almost immediately put off by the lack of ambient sounds, the lack of the distinct surprise/disengaged/engaged modes, and even the lack of the waterfall... as though animating was tricky on the Amiga. Difficult to understand that one. OTOH, I do have a soft spot for the 16-bit versions owing to the "job" system. Hoping you get lucky enough to get a treasure finding potion so that you can make more than 2 coppers per day in the 8-bit versions is pretty tedious.

It is said IIRC that Phillip Price developed AR under primitive conditions (a beach shack with gasoline generator or something) and if he did obsess over details, IMO it paid off in a big way. We are still talking his AR 25 years later. I think the root of the things that could be considered annoying (disk swapping, waiting, game saving etc.) are mainly limitations of the hardware, but he may have calculated those limitations, positioned them and done other things to integrate the limitations into the game experience in the way he wanted. I am looking forward to the cartridge version that will eliminate the disk swapping and streamline the other things, and I wish much luck to the programmer undertaking that.

The graphical rain effects in A8 AR are clearly recognizable because of the accompanying sound IIRC. They are an abstract effect. I think it is great and could not be improved if there were photorealistic raindrops dripping down the screen. I have seen the Amiga version and found what I saw of it to be horrible in comparison to the Atari 8bit version. Of course the Amiga has tremendous games much more advanced in every way than the Atari 8bit, so this was just a problem with the game in question, not any indictment of the Amiga (that was of course Jay Miner's next computer).

I will have to break out AR this holiday season. I am sure it is just as good as I recall.

yay alexandria. (i'm in old town)

I love that this thread dies for months at a time and then new people pop in and talk...

It's fun to play all the different versions of the game and find the differences. One day we should put up a table and compare them all, complete with screenshots and everything.

It's so weird that the PC version is such crap, by the way. I hate the atari emulators so i rarely play the original version of the game; the pc version is the easiest to get running and i dont have to screw with an emu. Unfortunately, it has little to no features that made the original distinct.

By the way, I never told you guys that i have the amiga version working on my GP2X. if you dont know what that is, check the wikipedia.

I will have to break out AR this holiday season. I am sure it is just as good as I recall.

I did just that recently, and YES it is as good as I recall. Better than some of the modern games I play IMO.

Back in the 80's playability was a big thing in game development (although not all games were playable). It seems that today, playability seems to have taken more of a back seat to stunning visuals and technical achievement. I still play Pac-Man and Mr Do, I can't imagine myself playing many, if any, PS2 games in 20 years time.

Edited by Pengwin

• 2 months later...

hey guys, hope somebody still reads this thread...

Does anyone know how to get a timepiece in The City? I read that you can get one in a shop, but I've never seen one. In the code of the PC version, it hints that you can get both a timepiece and a compass from a merchant - i would assume after you give him money. Only problem is, i've tried giving money several times and never got one. Is there something else i'm supposed to give? Gems/jewelry perhaps?

I've been playing The City and The Dungeon for years, and as far as I can remember, you can't get a timepiece in the City, only a compass. In the City you have to check the time in Inns. In the Dungeon you can get a compass and a timepiece.

I've been playing The City and The Dungeon for years, and as far as I can remember, you can't get a timepiece in the City, only a compass.

Agreed...

BUT I pulled this from one of the files...

The *NPC* isn't interested in your offer.

The * NPC * takes your *item* and leaves!

The * NPC * grabs your *item*, but doesn't leave!

The * NPC * thanks you for your offer but refuses it.

The merchant gives you a

compass.

watch.

:?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I was messing around with my various versions, testing some things out and I thought of doing a little comparison.

It was my first time playing the AtariST version of The City, which is actually nice considering its all on one disk -- one of my major peeves against playing the original version. On the other hand, the graphics are very pastel-ish which doesnt really fit the game very well.

So, thats PC, EGA in the top left, AtariST in the top-right, Amiga in the bottom left and the original in the bottom right.

There's downsides to all of them, really. The amiga looks the best in my opinion, but emulation is slow. The music is also off, but then again, so is the original's. (and the PC version hardly even has any)

By the way, the ST version's music is spot on. I've never actually seen it played correctly, so that was a new experience.

post-7471-1173823317_thumb.jpg