IGNORED

Would like to get a Jaguar, but...the controller!

ataridave

Seriously, I've seen pics of the Jaguar controller, and it doesn't look very comfortable.  Far from it, it looks like a mess with all those keypad buttons on it!  I'd love to get a Jaguar, but this is one of the things holding me back.

856321[/snapback]

It's ok in terms of comfort. The pro controller is noticably more comfortable eventhough it has even more (remapped) buttons.

There's nothing wrong with the Jaguar's controllers. They look large, and for some reason everyone gets a bad impression because of that. The keypad is there to give you a little bit more control over games. Most games don't really use the keypads all that much, so it's not something you need to worry about. Like it's been said, if you have medium to large hands, they're nicely comfortable. I've found them to be some of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used.

The only thing that looks daunting is that key-pad. However, since it's not used that much in games (it actually can improve games like Alien vs. Predator; by that I mean you can select your weapon with a push of a button!), it really isn't that noticeable. The pro-controller has just as many buttons as a Saturn pad does, but they are arranged slightly more different.

Overall, I'd just get the pro-controller version; it has more buttons plus it is more ergonimacally designed. Anyways, I hope this helps ya out. Buzz - out.

IMO I like the Jag controllers better than the Xbox controllers, though the pro controller does creak abit but has stayed together (like guitarmas mentioned). the PSone contollers arent that great but duel shock two for ps2 is fine for me. though I broke something inside 2 different contollers from both of them and it rattled around until i opened them up and pulled out 2 plastic pieces which I couldnt work out where they came from. since then no problems with the ps2 controllers (kind of weird).

anyway Definately dont let the Jag controllers put you off, but make sure you have a pro controller though.

For anyone with complaints about the Jaguar controllers, do you also not like the N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox or GameCube controllers? The Jaguar controllers were the forerunners to many of these, and they are really excellent. The keypad isn't used for most games as was noted, but works really well for some of them like Iron Soldier and DOOM.

Take a Jaguar controller and hold it side by side to an N64 controller. They are nearly identical dimensions, and the D-pads and buttons line up nearly perfectly. The N64 one just took out the keypad and added an analog joystick.

I didn't like the N64 controller either because of the analog joystick being in the middle.... But the Jaguar controller is SO amazingly close to the others that I always find it surprising when people complain about it.

Compare it to even a GameCube controller. Same general placements of most of the buttons, and almost identical dimensions. Same with Xbox.

It was ahead of its time.

Close to the others?  What are you talking about?  Just bbcause there the same size dosent mean there any thing alike.  The jags controller is fine but the n64 is a lot diffrent controller wise.

856907[/snapback]

I know that you are the all knowing Jaguar fanatic and know SO much more about this topic, so I better provide picture proof... so lets take a look!

c3_1_b.JPG

(From ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...8165307167&rd=1 )

jag-pad.jpg

(From http://www.lik-sang.com/ )

Now, that just demonstrates dimensions, but the ProController is the one that is really alike. From AtariAge:

con_JaguarProController.jpg

I just couldn't get one the same size as the above for comparisons. Now, lets take a closer look at what is similar:

- Dimensions - Now, if we filled in the area where the analog joystick was, the controllers are the same size. In fact, if you hold them against each other, the size similarility is VERY obvious. The pictures aren't quite the exact dimensions of the controllers though...

- D-pad - Both the N64 and the Jaguar controller's D-pads are in the same place.

- Shoulder buttons - the ProController and the N64's shoulder buttons are in the same place.

- Button Layout - The ProController and the N64's six right hand side buttons are in very similar placements. The N64's was laid out so the four "C" buttons made a secondary D-pad (and were a little smaller), while the Jaguar's top row was smaller. But if you took and changed the button size to having the A and the X buttons on the Jaguar large and the rest small, the layout would be essentially identical.

Now, the differences:

- The Jaguar had a keypad. The N64 had an analog joystick placement. Yes, that's a major difference, but the size and layout of the N64 controller -- which has grown to a cult status it seems since the N64 died out -- are so nearly identical in every other way to the ProController it is uncanny.

Now, for another few controllers to compare it too:

The Xbox Controller S (from http://www.freevideogames.com/ )

126322_Image.jpg

Not nearly as close as the N64 is, but the dimensions of the controller are very similar, the main analog joystick is placed in the same place as the D-pad, and the four buttons are in the same spot as the six of the ProController were.

And then there is the Dreamcast Controller (from http://www.thocp.net/ )

dreamcast_controller_01_large.jpg

The differences between it and the Jaguar is that the controller 'grip' slants slightly in, where the Jaguar slanted slightly out. But again, the overall size is VERY similar, and the main analog joystick and buttons are in similar locations.

Then, the Saturn 3D controller:

sa3dcontrl.gif

In which not just is the size nearly perfect, but so is the actual button layout.

And you can't sit there and say, "well, duh! All of the controllers that came after that point are going to have things in very similar placements. It's just natural!" The Jaguar did it _first_, and the concept has been adopted as a pretty big standard. Before the Jaguar, the first party controllers from Sega and Nintendo were not very big. The Jaguar was the first to go large, and it established a size that is nearly exactly what the successful controllers that have followed have used. It isn't coincidence.

Your right all controllers have buttons and D pads man sega must have ripped the dreamcast controller of the playstation! Any one with eye's can see the controllers ae nothing a like forget buttons for a second the shape of the controllers are extremely diffrent from the jaguars.

1) Do you actually read a post before you reply to it?

2) Do you do anything other then argue?

You can't forget the button layout and the size here because that is what he was talking about. A large part of the comfort factor when it comes to a controller is it's size. If you go to small the controller is not comfortable (like the NES controller... though the simplicity simply can't be beat) and if you go to big the controller is not comfortable (like the original XBox controller. I have a couple and refer to them as the "stomach controllers".) When making a controller of a certain size you have to pick the location of the buttons carefully so that people can reach them comfortably with small hands and large hands alike. Thus, button plaement in relation to the size of a controller is a majot factor in determining comfort of a controller. Jaguar was the first to make a controller of this design and button placement and many controllers that followed had similar size and similar placement so I think it would be fair to say that the Jaguar controller was the original inspiration for the design (though it may be more fair to say the ST was the inspiration as the Jaguar controller is exactly the same. If I am not mistaken the ST came first but then I am not a big Atari fan just a Jag fan.)

Seriously, I've seen pics of the Jaguar controller, and it doesn't look very comfortable.  Far from it, it looks like a mess with all those keypad buttons on it!  I'd love to get a Jaguar, but this is one of the things holding me back.

856321[/snapback]

The controller is fantastic!

Whether it be the original or the sexier feeling Procontroller, these babies are the BOMB as far as I'm concerned and with the perfectly placed button configuration, it makes all the games that use the entire setup an easy and painless task since you can find which one you want to push almost without effort.

Incredible job Atari did in designing these.

I customized several of the original controllers and mounted them on my Kiosk a couple years ago and can't believe how durable they are. (the durability aspect is just a nice addition to an already incredible product :thumbsup: )

However, since it's not used that much in games

:lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

Played much BattleSphere or Total Carnage?

1) Do you actually read a post before you reply to it?

2) Do you do anything other then argue?

You can't forget the button layout and the size here because that is what he was talking about. A large part of the comfort factor when it comes to a controller is it's size. If you go to small the controller is not comfortable (like the NES controller... though the simplicity simply can't be beat) and if you go to big the controller is not comfortable (like the original XBox controller. I have a couple and refer to them as the "stomach controllers".) When making a controller of a certain size you have to pick the location of the buttons carefully so that people can reach them comfortably with small hands and large hands alike. Thus, button plaement in relation to the size of a controller is a majot factor in determining comfort of a controller. Jaguar was the first to make a controller of this design and button placement and many controllers that followed had similar size and similar placement so I think it would be fair to say that the Jaguar controller was the original inspiration for the design (though it may be more fair to say the ST was the inspiration as the Jaguar controller is exactly the same. If I am not mistaken the ST came first but then I am not a big Atari fan just a Jag fan.)

857103[/snapback]

Yes

no

And i see what your saying about the size of the controller but the button placement is like the genesis so really they took a genesis pad and added a number pad to it.

I've never gotten cramped or anything from a jag controller, it's ok.

My only wish would be for a little heavier plastic. I've never had a jag controller go bad on me, but it "feels" chinsy. You can twist them very easily, which most people would probably never do, but after doing really well at Tempest, and then making a dumb mistake and dying...well, the anger has to be taken out on something.

My only wish would be for a little heavier plastic.  I've never had a jag controller go bad on me, but it "feels" chinsy.  You can twist them very easily, which most people would probably never do, but after doing really well at Tempest, and then making a dumb mistake and dying...well, the anger has to be taken out on something.

857159[/snapback]

Exactly, I could almost twist one to the point of breaking it.

Your right all controllers have buttons and D pads man sega must have ripped the dreamcast controller of the playstation!  Any one with eye's can see the controllers ae nothing a like forget buttons for a second the shape of the controllers are extremely diffrent from the jaguars.

857036[/snapback]

You really didn't even take the time to look at the pictures and compare them, did you?

The Jaguar controller was the first of the "oversized" controller generation. There is something that all of these controllers share -- main D-pad placement and approximate size. The fact that the controllers were the first of a larger size matter.

857103[/snapback]

Thank you for actually having read my post before replying. My entire point fell into the size and button placement, which the Jaguar pioneered. Before the Jaguar controller, nothing had been so big. Since then, with the exception of the Playstation controller, EVERY released console has used a controller with very similar dimensions. Even the GameCube is pretty close.

And i see what your saying about the size of the controller but the button placement is like the genesis so really they took a genesis pad and added a number pad to it.

857113[/snapback]

Okay, you're right -- if you take out the size of the controller, every controller is very similar. I suppose that you would also state that the 2600 controller and the NES controller were basically the same thing. And that the Jaguar controller is closer to an Intellivision, 5200 and Colecovision controller because of the number pad, right?

For everyone that actually took time to look at the pictures, the dimensions of the Jaguar controller have appeared in nearly every console since the Jaguar came out. The button layout of the Jaguar and Jaguar ProController were copied onto these controllers too. Yes, the Genesis had the same button layout, but the size was completely different, and that matters. The original question was about if the controllers were comfortable, and I compared them to all of these other controllers that are very similar.

You claimed that the N64 and the Jaguar controllers are so different they shouldn't even be compared... but they are about 90% the same other than the analog / keypad difference....

Seriously, you are just trolling for attention, aren't you. I'm going to start ignoring you now.... I've been suckered in too many times.

My only wish would be for a little heavier plastic.  I've never had a jag controller go bad on me, but it "feels" chinsy.  You can twist them very easily, which most people would probably never do, but after doing really well at Tempest, and then making a dumb mistake and dying...well, the anger has to be taken out on something.

857159[/snapback]

There are about ten different revisions of the Jaguar controller. One of the most common ones is REALLY crappy, and probably the model that you have. They came out near the end of the lifespan of the Jaguar, and generally have smaller cords. The early three button controllers however are built much, much more sturdy. If you can find one of those, I would strongly suggest picking it up as it will solve the "cheap" feeling very quickly.