IGNORED

Another Lost StarCat Project - Juiced

justclaws

Hello,

The project was lost in the HD crash, but I tested some early code

and had some photos. Sorry the photos are not very good quality.

The game was going to be reminiscent of Joust. The project had

already been put on-hold before the HD catastrophe because the

game "Juiced" (car racing) was released causing name issues. The

8-player support with 2 Team-Taps was a key feature intended.

These are posted here with his permission, exclusively on AA.

There is no binary for release unfortunately. Maybe he'll rewrite it.

Regards,

JustClaws.

P.S. I've found some more photos if anybody is interested.

post-3013-1116936197_thumb.jpg

post-3013-1116936220_thumb.jpg

post-3013-1116936229_thumb.jpg

Edited by justclaws

Hello,

These are posted here with his permission.

Regards,

JustClaws.

860783[/snapback]

Was the sores code lost or just the binary?

Hello,

Lars has lost everything from this project.

Lucky I had these or you'd never have known about it. ;)

JustClaws.

P.S. It's called "source code"...

Edited by justclaws

The game was going to be reminiscent of Joust. The project had already been put on-hold before the HD catastrophe because the

game "Juiced" (car racing) was released causing name issues.

860783[/snapback]

Now, if it was a baseball game and you were calling it "Juiced" I could see where you'd have a problem. :lolblue:

Hello,

Regards,

JustClaws.

860783[/snapback]

Was the source code lost or just the binary?

860801[/snapback]

The game was going to be reminiscent of Joust. The project had already been put on-hold before the HD catastrophe because the

game "Juiced" (car racing) was released causing name issues.

860783[/snapback]

Now, if it was a baseball game and you were calling it "Juiced" I could see where you'd have a problem. :lolblue:

860954[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: :lolblue: ;)

I agree... "Joust", to me was one of those classics that has all of

the whistle and bells of good arcade game. That game sometimes reminds

me of TRON because of the sound effects... I guest that's because I

remember playing a Joust arcade game that use to sit in between a TRON

game and a Dragon's Lair game back in the days when there use to be

arcade machines in grocery stores. I think I'm having a flashback. I

think I want to make a Joust game now. :D

Hello,

Regards,

JustClaws.

860783[/snapback]

860801[/snapback]

Pity, I would have loved having a "Joust" type game with quality graphics and lots of playability. :(

I definately sympathise with StarCat in his HD loss, as I have said before, and I hope he learns from the experience and marches on with development of all is projects eventually, but it was indeed just plain stupid to be a developer and not back up your work. I back up everything and I'm developing NOTHING. It's only common sense which I hope he has now aquired by experience. But, if this Joust game was put on "hold" just for a really stupid reason as a name conflict, that takes the cake on lame excuses as far as I'm concerned; names don't mean shit, and to put an entire project on "hold" for that reason is a, quite obviously, weak excuse. Why not just come right out and say you grew tired of the project so you put it on hold to work on something else? Of course in this instance it wasn't announced to the general community anyway, so no excuse is needed at all. Not that it matters now, it's all academic and if he never wants to work on anything again that's his perogative, but I hope he does continue working and actually get something out besides a couple little puzzle games and a slide show. It just goes back to my belief that NO project should be announced until it is DONE and ready for release, it get's too many peoples hopes up only to be dashed in such instances as this and looks bad for the qhole development community since so many Jaguar projects have been halted, lost or fake to begin with. Of course now that it's all water under the bridge, it's entertaining to at least see some old screenshots, no rub intended toward you Justclaws or any dubious personal attack intended towared StarCat, just observations and opinions on my part.

Edited by Gunstar

I definately sympathise with StarCat in his HD loss, as I have said before, and I hope he learns from the experience and marches on with development of all is projects eventually, but it was indeed just plain stupid to be a developer and not back up your work. I back up everything and I'm developing NOTHING. It's only common sense which I hope he has now aquired by experience. But, if this Joust game was put on "hold" just for a really stupid reason as a name conflict, that takes the cake on lame excuses as far as I'm concerned; names don't mean shit, and to put an entire project on "hold" for that reason is a, quite obviously, weak excuse. Why not just come right out and say you grew tired of the project so you put it on hold to work on something else? Of course in this instance it wasn't announced to the general community anyway, so no excuse is needed at all. Not that it matters now, it's all academic and if he never wants to work on anything again that's his perogative, but I hope he does continue working and actually get something out besides a couple little puzzle games and a slide show. It just goes back to my belief that NO project should be announced until it is DONE and ready for release, it get's too many peoples hopes up only to be dashed in such instances as this and looks bad for the qhole development community since so many Jaguar projects have been halted, lost or fake to begin with. Of course now that it's all water under the bridge, it's entertaining to at least see some old screenshots, no rub intended toward you Justclaws or any dubious personal attack intended towared StarCat, just observations and opinions on my part.

861448[/snapback]

I want my Joust game for my Jaguar or I will kill this rabbit.

Hi Gunstar!

861448[/snapback]

Well, actually Juiced was put on hold because of three reasons, the first one was, that other projects became more important, the second one was, that I didn't just want a straight port, but an improved one and the ideas that I had didn't turn out to be as much fun as I hoped and only the third reason was the name.

Justclaws just thought people would be interested in knowing some of my non-announced work.

This game was never announced, for a good reason. Simply because it was just one of many experiments that I did in the past and that could have developed into a project.

Whenever I have an idea, I write that idea down for future use and usually create some test code to try those ideas. Later if the ideas work well or seem good enough a project might become out of them, otherwise I just put it into my personal project folder for future use or inspiration.

All my projects start that way. Eerievale did, JagWorm did, only Star Alliance didn't because at that time I just wanted to learn coding and didn't worry about planning.

Eerievale turned out to be really promising and new ideas just came popping into my head, so it was clear to me that this was a serious project.

With JagWorm, I actually made more than three whole different test codes, the first one was a complete failure and I put the project to sleep for a long time. The second had similar ideas than the current code, but was quite buggy and then came the third fresh start which actually lead to JagWorm as a project.

Juiced started as an idea, but just like JagWorm at first, it didn't work out as good as I hoped. Still it could inspire new projects, just like all other of my project ideas.

For now however don't hold your breath on those projects.

Eerievale is the project I'm completely focussing on for now.

Regards, Lars.

Writing ideas down really is the best to come up with new concepts. I have so many ideas the only problem I have is getting them all organized. Whenever I come up with an idea I always try and think of ways in how I'll use it in a game concept. I really like the Joust concept for the Jaguar; I thinking about that game last night after I'd saw this post and I think it's an excellent concept. Just the whole idea of a Joust game for the Jaguar to me switched on a lot of lightbulbs in my head where as I was thinking of ways of how a Joust game would look on the Jaggy. :D I'm kind of inspired by that concept.

Hi Gunstar!

861448[/snapback]

Well, actually Juiced was put on hold because of three reasons, the first one was, that other projects became more important, the second one was, that I didn't just want a straight port, but an improved one and the ideas that I had didn't turn out to be as much fun as I hoped and only the third reason was the name.

Justclaws just thought people would be interested in knowing some of my non-announced work.

This game was never announced, for a good reason. Simply because it was just one of many experiments that I did in the past and that could have developed into a project.

Whenever I have an idea, I write that idea down for future use and usually create some test code to try those ideas. Later if the ideas work well or seem good enough a project might become out of them, otherwise I just put it into my personal project folder for future use or inspiration.

All my projects start that way. Eerievale did, JagWorm did, only Star Alliance didn't because at that time I just wanted to learn coding and didn't worry about planning.

Eerievale turned out to be really promising and new ideas just came popping into my head, so it was clear to me that this was a serious project.

With JagWorm, I actually made more than three whole different test codes, the first one was a complete failure and I put the project to sleep for a long time. The second had similar ideas than the current code, but was quite buggy and then came the third fresh start which actually lead to JagWorm as a project.

Juiced started as an idea, but just like JagWorm at first, it didn't work out as good as I hoped. Still it could inspire new projects, just like all other of my project ideas.

Regards, Lars.

861493[/snapback]

Cool, I can't wait for Eerievale, not only for the game itself, but also for the release of the project engine so others who are not as talent as you with programming (or no almost nothing like me), can make similiar games based on their own ideas for a good story and the ability (speaking for myself) to be able to do quality artwork and write a good plot/story to get another adventure game out without having to do heavy coding/programming. I'm expecting to have to do a little, and am following a tutorial that Gorf is teaching at the moment so that my own adventure game might become available someday. Of course peliminary artwork is already in the works for just such a project, though currently it's only 512 color art that's being done with Spectrum 512 on my ST, but I'll go back and redo it in high res and color depth when the time comes, right now it's just getting ideas down and getting into the "groove" of art development. I'm also still working (when I can, I've got very little spare time lately do to my real job) on some sample sprite work for JustClaws, which was done on the ST and will be either converted or redone on a PC as soon as I have time, but I don't even have a day off for another 10 days... :sad: and then I still have other obligations and hobbies I'm persuing, so it's a slow process deviding up my time currently...as the saying goes, all work and no play make Jack a dull boy. I also hope you make time for some relaxation and fun yourself, and not just do your day job and Jag coding all the time, that will burn you out. Good luck!

Hi Gunstar!

Great to hear that you are working on some ideas already.

From what I learned during the Eerievale project however, I can tell you that most of the work on an adventure game can be done without the engine. The graphics, the planning, most of the design, the story.

At first I made the engine, because I thought I needed it before I could do something else for the project, but later I found out that this isn't true. The engine is not the game, but just a tool to put your vision to the screen. The engine doesn't make a good game, but only your ideas make a good game. I think there is hardly a different genre where this is more true than the adventure genre.

So when you have ideas, you shouldn't wait for the engine, but simply write down the ideas, create artwork to support them etc and create the game in your head already.

So maybe by the time the engine is ready to be used by others than myself, you will have your game done in your head already and will only have to port it. :)

Regards, Lars.

Btw Lars....

Just because your HD isn't happy today doesn't mean that somehow, magically, it won't be happy tomorrow. Try it out again.... and see it might come back to life for a moment - quickly enough to recover your data.

I know it sounds weird... but I've had this happen to me before... where as a HD I had was acting goofy and what I thought was dead... a year later I popped it in the PC (for whatever reason) and found it to be working just fine... (it was SLOW, but it worked!)...

Btw Lars....

Just because your HD isn't happy today doesn't mean that somehow, magically, it won't be happy tomorrow. Try it out again.... and see it might come back to life for a moment - quickly enough to recover your data.

I know it sounds weird... but I've had this happen to me before... where as a HD I had was acting goofy and what I thought was dead... a year later I popped it in the PC (for whatever reason) and found it to be working just fine... (it was SLOW, but it worked!)...

862029[/snapback]

I can second this statement - I had a HD go bad - Added a new one and kept the other hooked up as a slave drive - one day I was able to read data off it and grabbed everything I could. If actually worked again long enough that I put it in another computer as a backup drive - shortly there after it went south again.

Hi Gunstar!

861448[/snapback]

Regards, Lars.

861493[/snapback]

Can't wait to play Eerievale!