IGNORED

Did people really buy the Romscanner?

Atarifever

I just followed a link in another post and ended up in Atariage Magazine. I went through some pages and found an ad for that Romscanner thing. I honestly cannot picture any real people using this thing. Did anyone own one or know someone who did. I mean really, have you ever said, "man, all this taking cartridges out and putting them in is so hard. You know what I think would help? If I had a hugh clunky box on top of my atari that made it look like a jukebox. Yep, that'd be much better." The carrying case looks cool though.

http://www.atariage.com/magazines/magazine...&CurrentPage=20

Yes, which one do I not have and do you have a picture?

:?:  :?:  :?:

862053[/snapback]

The Compro Videoplexer.

Cheers,

Raymond

862059[/snapback]

Thank you

Yet another thing to ad to my 2600 collection want ad.

:D :roll: :roll:

Thank you

:D  :roll:  :roll:

862308[/snapback]

You're just too late:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5198093287

I almost bid on this one, but then i rememberd that this was the second time the seller was offering this. The first time he was shill-bidding on his own auctions so i decided not to bid this time...

Yeah, I had the one for the SP too. Although I don't see the point in these things for the 2600. How hard was it to change a cart? No wonder America is fat.

The reason I bought one for the SP was because the thing made the SP easier to hold. It also was a very convenient way of taking three games with me while traveling. As the games were always in the SP, I never had to worry about losing them or rumaging through my bag while stuffed into an airplane seat in coach.

Thank you

:D  :roll:  :roll:

862308[/snapback]

You're just too late:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=5198093287

I almost bid on this one, but then i rememberd that this was the second time the seller was offering this. The first time he was shill-bidding on his own auctions so i decided not to bid this time...

862615[/snapback]

Thanks anyway, but the seller was also only shipping this inside Germany, I'm in the U.S

:cool: :cool: :sad:

• 4 weeks later...

I was one of the people who long ago bought a RomScanner. For game switching, it seemed to work as promised. It was nice to have 10 games at your fingertips.

HOWEVER...

The actual physical design was a nightmare. It seemed to be designed for single controller type games on 6-switch 2600s because it'd block the difficulty switches and you'd have to reach around the legs to get to the controller ports. And speaking of the legs.. that was the absolute WORST part of the device. The legs were "secured" into the main device by putting the round T-shaped pegs on the legs into holes on the bottom of the (once loaded w/ cartridges, quite heavy) device and sliding them into place. Included were velcro pads to help secure the device to the 2600. It seems as though they never tested it with a full load, because the pegs snapped off VERY easily. We returned 3 of these before we gave up and went the superglue route to fixing it.

I don't remember what happened to it though.. it was probably in with my original 2600 (with just over 100 games) that I gave my nephew, which ended up at a Park & Swap in Hawaii somewhere. (Along with the Intellivision 2 & 30 games and the Genesis w/ language switch)

i have just a brain, but i actually like them from a practical standpoint. With as much 2600 as I play at times, it saves a lot of wear and tear on my actual system cart port. Also, I find some carts work a lot easier through the brain (and some only work straight through,)

I only saw the Rom Scanner in the flesh once at a store called Oldrids in a town called Boston in the UK. I had read a great many articles on the thing before I set eyes on it and although I had the opportunity to purchase one I didn't. The reason was simple for at the time I had over 30 games and as the thing could only hold ten games I decided against spending my hard earned cash on it as I couldn't decide on which ten to put in it. As it was it was all academic for six months later the silent crash happened and Oldrids got rid of all their gaming stock along with every other shop in Boston. I remember that Parker Bros had something similiar to it that could hold 48 games but I cannot remember if it was just a holder or if it could actually switch between the games it held. No doubt someone will put me right on that matter ;)

• 15 years later...
  • 1 year later...