IGNORED

Atari Controller Cables

Junie

I feel like I am spamming, I have to post the same message here and on the StellaList to reach many different fellow Atarians. After all not everyone is at both places like me and many others

---------------------------------------------

Just a short note -- I have gotten several e-mails lately, but can not respond to them. If you happen to e-mail me direct be sure that you can accept e-mail from Yahoo.com I have gotten many returned e-mails because people have Yahoo.com blocked and I can not respond.

---------------------------------------------

I am wanting to hear some input about this-- With my new REV. 2 of my 15-Pin controller ports and controllers it requires 14 multi-conductor wire.

Without having to charge $6.00 - $10.00 simply for the cost of the wire used, I have thought of a solution. Do you think standard 15 strand ribbon cable will work for the controller cords?

I simply buy ribbon cable and strip of the excess strands. I have been experimenting with a 2 foot piece of 15 strand ribbon cable, bending it in every way, wading it up, stretching it, etc. After running my fingers across the ribbon cable a few times it straightens back out and is as good as new.

The cost of the ribbon cable will be around $2.00 instead of $6 - $10, and is more commonly available. After countless hours of scouring the net I have only found one supplier of the 15 multi-conductor wire at a half reasonable price. Of course if this one small company stops carrying the 15 multi-conductor wire, then I am in trouble.

So what do you think, will the ribbon cable work for the controller cables? Or does anyone know of another source of 15 multi-conductor wire, or even another controller cable idea?

With my testing it seems the ribbon cable will be fine, with a little straighten from time to time using fingers to smooth the cable. But I honestly do not know how well it will hold up for actual use.

quote:

Originally posted by skatepunk60:

I have a mental picture of this really thick white wire like inside the computer? If this isnt it do you have a picture of this wire

Yes, you are correct. I simply peel off the excess strands from the ribbon cable until I have 15 wires left. It is about an inch wide.

quote:

Originally posted by AtariKari:

@ Junie: just a show of support for such a cool product! You have my duckets ($) regardless of what cable you use.

As long as I don't have to get up to play another game of bowling, my vote is set. When you get photos up of Rev. 2, please post.

If only I could get a signal booster...

Thank you for the support Mike. I think it's funny you mentioned Bowling, that's what started all this.

My wife loves to play Bowling, and use to make me play at least 2 or 3 games of it each night. When we play she always takes control of Player 1. Well if she doesn't manage to get a strike on the first frame she makes it me reset it so she can try again. This repeats until she gets a strike or gets tired of trying

In order for me to hit the Atari Game Reset switch I have to get out of bed and walk over to the Atari and flip the switch. I got tired of doing this and thought I could manage to put the "switch" on a controller.

I did put that "switch" on a controller and now have Joypads instead of using Joysticks, and now have all the Atari system switches on the controllers

quote:

Originally posted by skatepunk60:

Is there any way to make like an adaptor to plug into the existing controller ports? so i dont have to ruin any of my systems?

The original 9-Pin controller ports do not connect to the necessary switches, in fact it connects to none of the system switches. So such a adapter can not be created.

I will however make standard NES controllers to work on the standard 9-Pin controller ports. However they will not of course have all the buttons and switches like the 15-Pin does.