IGNORED

Where Did you go from Atari 2600???

brianwolters

I am curious to see where people went from owning an original 2600 to now. This includes retro gaming.

My first system was an RCA Studio II. I thought it was great but the black and white graphics started to get old.

I finally got a 2600, even though my Dad wanted an Intellivision.

I sold my 2600 and SOME games and got a Colecovision. I soon got an Atari adapter and started collecting Atari games again.

Then, during my Colecovision era, my folks purchased a Commodore Vic 20.

I eventually sold the Vic-20 and stepped up to a Commodore 64. Needing a floppy drive, I sold my Colecovision to fund the purchase. Over a few years, I played TONS of games on this machine and even ran a BBS. Oh, the memories of those days!

Selling my Commodore 64 for an Amiga 500 wasn't easy, but it became worth it. The Amiga was my PC of choice from 88 to 94. I eventually stepped up to an Amiga 2000.

That ends my string of systems with ties back to my 2600. In 95, I purchased an Atari Jaguar and started my retrogaming collection back up with the 2600. Now, I have most boxed games and even some rare ones. TO me, the 2600 hold the biggest place in my heart!

• Like 3

I went from an Atari 2600 to ... joining a band, doing theatre, going to the Rocky Horror Picture Show every week, and going out on dates!

I didn't get back into videogaming until a year after college, when I went back to my mother's house to retrieve some boxes, and salvaged my Atari and 100+ games before they ended up in a garage sale!

I didn't buy another videogame system until ten years later -- a Sega Dreamcast, just so I could play Crazy Taxi!

Okay, I guess I bought a Colecovision and an Atari 5200, but I just toyed with them for a bit, then got rid of them. And I still own a Vectrex too.

• Like 3

Wow good topic:

Started with a VCS in about 86'

Sold the VCS and Got an NES as soon as I played the Mario Bros coin-op

Got a gameboy next

Then a sega genesis and game gear

Next came the Snes and Sega CD system(ouch)

When I went to college I got a playstation and then broke down and bought a 64 for mario kart and Bond marathons.

From there I got into PC gaming and there is about 2 years of my life that was sucked away do to Ultima Online.

Next came the repurchase of a 2600 4 switch, 6 switch and all the games I was missing.

Then I bought and promptly sold a jaguar.

The only modern console I have is a PS2 and with work and all I do not have much time to play.

2600 --> NES --> SNES --> 2600

My only other diversion was buying a PS1 just to play FF7. I've tried to start FF8 on it, but I can't get into it.

I got rid of my 2600 system while I was enjoying the NES. But now, for some reason, I need to play 2600 on the TV while emulated NES suits me just fine. I only keep my NES unit around for Genghis Kahn, which doesn't emulate.

quote:

Originally posted by Malix:

Wow good topic:

From there I got into PC gaming and there is about 2 years of my life that was sucked away do to Ultima Online.

I know EXACTLY how you feel here, i just forgot to add mine in that list

From DEC. 1999 to NOV. 2001 i played Everquest and i was up to 104 days played on my main character and about 70 days on all my other characters (4 total), when i added it up i knew i had to quit playing and get back to real life, so i gave my account to a friend who is still playing

It was my First and Last Online game i will ever play, but i look at it this way i bought a computer just to play EQ and it was the best thing i have done i along time

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: Lemmi ]

Sort of interesting you would mention this. I really remember sort of leaving video games entirely between 84 and 89. There really was not much in the way of increase performance, and I did not get another system until NES during 89. I already had a VIC-20 and a bunch of games.

From NES, went straight to TG-16, which, in my opinion, was one of the finest second gen systems. I think in comparison to Sega anything, it beat the pants off of it. Graphics were worlds better than NES, and games like Bonk and R-Type rocked. Still love to play Dragons Curse

From there, again, another wait. College we had a SNES and Street Fighter got a lot of play. Sorry, I can't deny we liked it at the time. Now I am just thankful they released it, because so many classic arcade machines were converted, and now years later, I can convert them back. At the time, if they had not been converted, they would be in land fills.

Bought a N64 in 96, day of release, and the sickness began. 52 systems later, and a bunch of coin ops, I am hooked. Still cant seem to find a Coleco Telstar Arcade (the only one I am missing)....

Cassidy

• Like 1

Maxime had it similar to me:

From atari 2600 to vic-20 to NES to SNES

But after SNES, I realized that video games were too expensive, and the SNES games just weren't very good. Guess that's when I got burned out on video games.

The then-expensive Playstation looked and played OK, but many of the games just looked like characters superimposed on a bland background. My neighbor had it and we'd play hockey while our wives would go out, but as far as buying it? No.

Unless you're playing two player, you can do just as well playing the same games on the PC, with much better sound. I've got a 21" flat-screen monitor, so they look great.

I wouldn't dare spend $40 for a new PC title, so I just wait for them to be out a year and get them for a third that much in the bargain bin. Especially the sports games. I just now upgraded to NHL 2001. Got a great EA Sports 4-pack with a golf, hockey, baseball and basketball game about a year ago for less than $20. So what if they're a year or two old? They look fine to me.

And think many will agree: a quick game of warlords is just more fun than spending two months bumbling through some lame Zelda adventure...

Jesus ! don't tell me i'm an old fart at 32 yrs young!! First tv game was a ingersoll pong type game in late 70's. then was bought a sinclair zx81 from new (spoilt brat! ) then got sick of that piece of shit and swapped for an atari with one of my school buds (his loss) still got that vcs now! never played any other consoles till playstation came out...fell in love with Lara Croft (sad sod!) then friend put me on to ebay...saw an old vcs realised i still had one and thus my love affair with this nostalgic piece of hardware began... its class, pure class. Our generation was so lucky to have been there from the start. Long may this cult following live..

peace ....the yob (drunk again)

1. 2600 1982? I was around 12.

2. PC XT CLONE

3. TI 994a

4. PC

5. SEGA GENESIS

6. MAC 040

7. PENTIUM

8. GAMEBOY ADVANCE

9. MAC G3

I liked Coleco Vision, the C64, Odyessy/Vectrex/Channel F/ Intellivision/ Sega/ Apple II/ the Atari 800/ atari XL. But I never bought them as I spent most of my (dads) cash on Roland synthesizers in the 80's - I am a musician first and a game player second!!

• Like 1

I got my Vader 2600 in 1983 as a Christmas present when I was in second grade. Previously my parents had some variant of pong which to this day I can't figure out what it is brand-wise.

I played the 2600 exclusively until about 1987 when I got a Commodore 64. Then I got a NES and the old Atari went into the closet for many years. I did buy some 2600 games in 1989 from the Sears Wishbook, but I played them for like 10 minutes and quickly hooked the NES back up. The Vader remained in retirement up until last year when I got the urge to play some classic games after competing in the Funspot Weirs Beach Classic Game Tournament.

quote:

Originally posted by NintendoDiesScreaming:

My First system was the Genesis, then Saturn, THEN Atari! After the 2600 I went to the Game gear and finally Dreamcast. Hopefully Rebirth will be next...

Hopefully you'll get an XBOX next. You haven't lived until you've experienced all that HALO has to offer! The "Silent Cartographer" level will make a believer out of anyone who doubts the power of the XBOX!

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

Hopefully you'll get an XBOX next. You haven't lived until you've experienced all that HALO has to offer! The "Silent Cartographer" level will make a believer out of anyone who doubts the power of the XBOX!

Yes, even though I dont HAVE an XBOX I'm on their side

quote:

Originally posted by vwyob:

synths!!!! ahhhh cool! ..me too .. first two keyboards ..sh101 with rs-09, then up to juno 6 then juno 106 etc... the list goes on...hang on ..oops nothing to do with Atari..sorry guys ..love da museeeek too

Which brings a question from a non-musician...I watch a lot of videos (especially like the 80s)...

why do so many bands have like 4 or 5 keyboards on stage for use by one musician? I could see maybe an actual organ and some sort of synth, but since most of the keyboards nowadays are so MIDI'd out and can generate any sound known to mankind, why so many? 4 Rolands on a rack? Is that overkill or am I just so clueless musically? Is it tough to play a board to your left with one hand, and play a board on your right with another hand? I always appreciated Geddy Lee switching between bass and pedals and keyboards and singing all in the same song...

In terms of systems that I've bought new, and while they were still being marketed:

Atari 2600 > NES > SNES > TG16 > Jaguar/CD > Saturn > Dreamcast > Neo Geo Pocket > Gamecube

Systems that I've picked up after they were no longer in the market:

Intellivision

Atari 800

Atari 5200

Atari 7800

Turbo Duo

Turbo Express

ColecoVision

Sega Genesis

Sega CD

Sega 32X

JVC X-Eye

Sega Master System

3D0

Leisure Vision

EDITED TO ADD: Looking at the list of systems I've bought during their wide release, I can safely say I really know how to pick the "also rans"!

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: Lost Monkey ]

Hmmm.... Let's see...

Atari 2600 - new

ColecoVision - new

NES - new

SNES - new

Atari 5200 - used

Intellivision - used

Atari 5200 - used

Atari 7800 - used

Vectrex - used

Unisonic Pong - used

GameBoy - new

GameGear - new

Nomad - new

N64 - new

PSX - new

Channel F - used

Astrocade - used

Virtual Boy - new

Saturn - new

Dreamcast - new

Genesis - new

PS2 - new

GB Advance - new

GameCube - new

There are probably some others I'm missing, I think, but I can't remember for sure. The exact order is kinda shakey too.

And yes, I still have them all.

ò¿ó

• Like 1

In my household, we went from a 2600, (really too young for me to remember though) then NES when it first came out. Sold our 2600 at a yardsale. Played the NES untill it pretty much broke, then my dad got us a Sega Genesis. Then I played that for the longest time, got into our computer after awhile, and played that a bit. Sold our NES. After a while came the N64. We got one the first Christmas it was out, (which if you remember was most difficult at the time.) Then we played that up untill I bought an old NES, played that my N64 and newer computer up untill we got a Dreamcast last year. Then about 2 or three months ago I got another 2600 and I now play my Dreamcast, N64, Computer, 2600.

quote:

Originally posted by vwyob:

synths!!!! ahhhh cool! ..me too .. first two keyboards ..sh101 with rs-09, then up to juno 6 then juno 106 etc... the list goes on...hang on ..oops nothing to do with Atari..sorry guys ..love da museeeek too

Actually, those old synths do have something in common with Atari, many used a microprocessor, either a 6502 or something similar to scan the keyboard- this is how polykeyboards work. My first was a JX3P. I sold all my old ones, now I have a JX10/Juno6/HS10/VK09/TR606 and the amazing Roland XV5080, which by the way costs 15X more than my 2600 did new. Yikes!

I went from Coleco Telstar Pong to the 2600. After that I got a Timex/Sinclair 1000 (same thing as a ZX-81 here in the states for you English chaps). Of course the 2600 was still used for most of my gaming andt e T/S1000 was my "introductory computer." Then came the Atari 130XE for me, and my brother got the 7800 a year later, which I eventually bought off of him. I stuck with the XE and 7800 until about '95 and never owned a 16-bit system of my own. I still played my Atari's often, but wasn't into video games during the 16-bit era enough to warrant the purchase of one, and they weren't a big enough improvement to interest me over the 8-bits (still the same 2D, just more detailed and colorful). Then in '95 I got a Pentium PC and the Atari Jaguar. When I first saw the graphics of the Jaguar and 3DO, they impressed me enough with the 3D and the "virtual world" possibilities that I bought one and got back into gaming hardcore, this was after college as well when my social life slowed...I naturally bought the Jaguar as I had always been satisfied with my Atari purchases and The Jaguar was one third the price of the 3DO. Then I got the Jagcd and 3DO (I bought it used after it was discontinued for $75). Then came the Saturn, Dreamcast, C64, 5200, Atari video pinball (circa 1976), PSX and my brother, who I once again live with, got an XBOX. I've never been in the least bit disappointed with my choices, especially sticking with Atari. Oh, yeah, I got a LYNX in between the 3DO and Saturn. I do plan on getting a Genesis/cd/32x eventually and an Atari ST/Falcon/Amiga to fill in my sixteen-bit void. But I've always disliked Nintendo for several reasons including rivalry, joypads, kiddy games and the fact that I always wanted something that everybody and their brother doesn't already have.

By the way, I did have the oportunity to play the 16-bit consoles and the Nintendo consoles at friend's houses, so I've experienced them, just havn't experienced OWNERSHIP of them.

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]