IGNORED

1 Million New Atari Cartridges Unearthed

pkmorgan17

quote:

Originally posted by NE146:

It is an excellent way.. I kind of miss the days when he was selling them for 80 cents each though

Maybe he raised it to pay for his spiffy new web-page look heheh

He probably raised it because he was able to get away with it. Supply and Demand. He was probably selling so many at 80 cents that he raised the price figuring if so many people were willing to pay 80 cents, most of those people would be willing to pay $2.00/title. I don't think they went straight from 80 cents to $2, either. I seem to recall an intermediate step, but I'm not positive.

I bought two copies of every game he had at least four years ago. I'm sure when he starts running low on games the prices will probably creep up. Not that any of these games will probably be very rare given that virtually ever collector out there for the past few years has had ample opportunity to buy as many as they'd like for for $2 or less.

..Al

It's sad that the most common games for the 7800 are normally the worst. Barnyard Blaster, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Jinks, Pole Position II, and Realsports Baseball are some of the worst games for the system.

I hope, ROCKINGROLL, that you don't judge the Supersystem by these lame games...out of that list, Tower Toppler, Xevious, Ballblazer, Ms. Pac-Man, and Joust are your best bets for good gaming.

Cousin Vinnie

quote:

Originally posted by khryssun:

Albert paid 17.5$ to send me a *BIG* package from CA

I won't be in business with that guy !

I think many people overly inflate international shipping costs because they simply don't want to deal with the hassles. I can see this to some extent, because it is more work to ship internationally, but $38 sounds pretty damn high.

I just looked at their domestic shipping rates and they're pretty expensive even here in the US. $7 for 1 - 5 games shipped UPS is pretty high when you could have them shipped USPS Priority Mail for under $4 (and they'd probably arrive sooner).

..Al

O'Shea's have been selling those Atari carts for years. They're a big closeout store. You can see their (rather ugly but functional) main website at www.oshealtd.com where you can grab up various other closeout bargains. (Tupperware pizza cutters for $0.05 ea? Sign me up! :-) They still have the assorted Atari jerseys, too.

quote:

I think many people overly inflate international shipping costs because they simply don't want to deal with the

hassles.

high.

what hassles?

the box that you need to send is the same!

the content you send is the same!

you write down the adress the same way that you do it for a US adress: with a regular pen on a sticker or piece of paper!

the post office that you need to go to is the same!

so only the price you pay at the counter that's different .... and that's paid by the buyer.

so that's why i don't see the problem.

you can check international rates at www.usps.com, even as german.

same for us collectors, they can check the costs at www.deutschepost.de under 'preise' (prices)

it might be different for trades, but at the end both pay higher costs, so it's only important to make the trade big enough ...

the 38$ migh be first class airmail with insurance and also recommended/registrated. that would be the safest way .... and it's probably heavier than 2 kilogramms (4-5 pounds)

anything else is a rip-off ....

greetings

fish

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I think many people overly inflate international shipping costs because they simply don't want to deal with the hassles. I can see this to some extent, because it is more work to ship internationally, but $38 sounds pretty damn high.

How so? For me, shipping inside Holland, Europe or the World is all the same. I have to pack it up in a box, put address labels on it and go to the postoffice. I know UPS works differently, but isn't USPS the same for you Americans?

I always hate US Ebay auctions that won't ship internationally (and German ones that won't ship outside Germany, or Japanese Yahoo auctions that never ship outside Japan). It's just so much fun to trade internationally, and nowadays there's plenty of good payment options that work very well.

I just don't get it...

Cheers,

Marco

quote:

Originally posted by Marco:

How so? For me, shipping inside Holland, Europe or the World is all the same. I have to pack it up in a box, put address labels on it and go to the postoffice. I know UPS works differently, but isn't USPS the same for you Americans?

Before I go any further, just want to say that I've shipped many packages overseas and have never had a problem. However, it is more work to ship internationally than domestically for the following reasons:

1) In the US, many people (especially for eBay auctions) ship via Priority Mail. The USPS provides free boxes for Priority Mail, which is great if you're shipping lots of packages. You cannot use these free Priority Mail boxes when shipping internationally.

2) Shipping rates are much harder to determine internationally. For Priority Mail I can buy a stamps in the exact amount and just slap 'em on the box. When I drop off the packages at the post office I don't have to wait in line to pay for postage.

3) Customs Forms. For every package you mail out of the US you have to fill out a customs form. It doesn't take very long, but it is additional paperwork and ensures you have to wait in line.

4) Determination of shipping fees can delay the turnaround of an auction because the seller may have to bring the boxed package to the post office to have the shipping fees calculated. Then the seller will have to make a *second* trip to the post office after the buyer has paid for the auction.

Those are the main points I can think of and they're all issues I've had to deal with personally. If you're running a lot of auctions this can add up to a great deal of overhead.

..Al

• 5 months later...

I bought 10 copies of each game they had at the time about 4 years ago. Needless to say they all came in one box about the size a 32" TV set would come in!!! It was awesome. Still have a few left also. In fact I may give some more games away here in a few days so be on the lookout.

Albert,

You hit the nail on the head. I use Priority Mail ALL the time and I can tell you exactly what the cost is on certain items (too bad the USPS is upping the rates on June 30th, and going to basically a zone based system for Priority Mail). When I ship a priority mail package, I can quickly drop it off at the postal service truck outside the train station, or use the mail room in my company. Neither of these takes international mail. So, an extra trip to the post office with extra paperwork and an extra wait on line makes me not want to ship internationally, but I have and still do on request. Also with Priority Mail, I always use delivery confirmation to make sure the item is delivered. International shipments are more of a mystery, and the tracking option and/or insurance is so expensive that no one wants to pay for it anyway. Believe me, it is nothing personal against friends in other countries.

The only other proplem with international transactions is payment. I don't like to have buyers send me cash thru the mail, this is technically illegal! If the letter is lost or opened in transit, the money is gone without a trace. Sending money international is confusing and expensive, wire transfers are very expensive, western union is cheaper but not everyone has an office nearby to pick up the money, there are conversion fees and extra bank charges, it's a real mess. Something should be done to simplify things.

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

1) In the US, many people (especially for eBay auctions) ship via Priority Mail. The USPS provides free boxes for Priority Mail, which is great if you're shipping lots of packages. You cannot use these free Priority Mail boxes when shipping internationally.

2) Shipping rates are much harder to determine internationally. For Priority Mail I can buy a stamps in the exact amount and just slap 'em on the box. When I drop off the packages at the post office I don't have to wait in line to pay for postage.

3) Customs Forms. For every package you mail out of the US you have to fill out a customs form. It doesn't take very long, but it is additional paperwork and ensures you have to wait in line.

4) Determination of shipping fees can delay the turnaround of an auction because the seller may have to bring the boxed package to the post office to have the shipping fees calculated. Then the seller will have to make a *second* trip to the post office after the buyer has paid for the auction.

Those are the main points I can think of and they're all issues I've had to deal with personally. If you're running a lot of auctions this can add up to a great deal of overhead.

..Al