IGNORED

Favorite Mortal Kombat Game?

What Is Your Favorite Mortal Kombat Game?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favorite Mortal Kombat Game?

• Mortal Kombat
    • Mortal Kombat II
    • Mortal Kombat 3
    • Mortal Kombat Gold/Ultimate
    • Mortal Kombat 4
    • Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
    • Mortal Kombat: Deception

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I remember when MK2 was released.

I saw that game in the distributers lobby and imeadiately played it for like an hour and every time I was headed there I looked forward to playing a few games, especially since I had a magazine that listed the moves! WOOO!

Wow what a great game and what an improvement over the first one!!

Then a while later long after they had removed MK2 from the front lobby. MK3 showed up. Wow I cant wait to play this! I put on some free credits and the first thing I notice is that most of the characters all went to the same dayglow spandex sale to make their uniforms. Then I notice the characters themselves.... Stryker? Who the hell is that supposed to be? To me it kinda looked like Woody Harrelson with a scowl.Needless to say I was majorly disappointed. Haven't really been excited with an MK release since.

The early MK games SUCK as fighting games. They just arent that fun. They rely on pre-made combos to win, and thats more of a memorization thing then a fighting game. The blood and gore was the only thing they had going for them. But the two newest MK games, those are fun and pretty good fighters.

Mortal Kombat overall is an overrated series. I haven't played the two new games, so I can't really vouch for them, for all I know they may be great, but the old ones are really shallow. All the characters have the same moves minus a handful of special moves, the fatalities got REALLY lame after the first one, the chain combos were boring and didn't take much skill, poor character design and endless palette-swap "characters" (Noob Saibot? Give me a break...), and the computer AI is just play shit. Overall, out of all the popular fighting games out there at the time, I feel that this one had the worst gameplay (although it still beats out UNpopular games like Time Killers). This series really only had 3 things going for it: Nice digitized graphics (which were pretty impressive at the time), lots of neat secret stuff, and blood and gore. Frankly, I think without the blood and gore, this series probably would have died on the operating table, but it seems the violence took hold on the teenagers and they've remembered it fondly ever since. Honestly, go back and play Mortal Kombat 1 and tell me it's a deep, fun game with lots of strategy. Even playing against a human opponent isn't very fun, since it just exposes flaws in the gameplay. I remember playing against my brother for a while last month, and we both got really sick of it after 2 matches and put in Street Fighter 2 Turbo instead.

That being said, I voted for MK2. This was about the height of the series where the graphics were good (MK3's graphics were slightly better, but not by much), the characters were decent, and it had a half-decent combo system. In my opinion, MK3 just got stupid with all the animalities (frankly, I thought MK2's babalities and friendships were stupid enough already), the Run button, chain combos, and crummy characters (ie, Kabal and the robot ninjas). MK4 did absolutely nothing for the series aside from making it 3D. All the bad features remained. I've been meaning to get the two newer games just to see if they're any good, but I'm waiting until I can find them for a decent price, since I'm not expecting to like them much more than I did MK Gold.

--Zero

Tough call. I had to decide between Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (which isn't on the list). MK2 wins by a hair, only because of the half-finished, bug-ridden versions Midway put out in an attempt to get the game in arcades as quickly as possible. Remember killing babies? Remember performing a fatality, only to be declared the loser afterward? That was funny, when it wasn't surreal.

Mortal Kombat 3 (sans Ultimate) wasn't unfinished in an amusing way, it was just unfinished.

I have never enjoyed mortal kombat. I tried i really did i even own the first two for genesis and the third for snes. But i failed to get in to them at all for a few huge reasons. Dumb characters i give them credit for throwing fighting game arch types out the window. But the thing's they came up with were not a whole lot better. Another problem i always had was the ridiculously stupid finisher's. I think the robot ninja's and babalities were the height of mortal kombat retardation. Let's not forget the fighting was just not very good. And mortal kombat 3 was one of the first figthing game's i had ever played and i still didn't think it was very good. To win anything past the second fight you had to memorize a ludicrous amount of moves. The fighting never felt fluent either thank's to all the long ass combo's needed to win.

Funny thing is the new game's suffer largely from the same problem's. So bottom line i would pick street fighter over mortal kombat and virtua fighter over both. I never saw what people liked about the game's. I always wanted to believe it was some thing other then the gore. But i know thats why people played and still play mortal kombat. Oh and every one loves it because the spell combat with a K. Can any one tell me why they do this? Are they just stupid or did they think that it was really funny?

Edited by sega saturn x

How can you beat showing off fancy combos with Kabal???  I vote MKIII.

885022[/snapback]

By doing fancy combos with Kitana that actually require a modicum of skill. ;)

886550[/snapback]

yeah well she was took hard to use anyway. Kabal and Cyrax were the fighters I mastered. :D

Tough call.  I had to decide between Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (which isn't on the list).  MK2 wins by a hair, only because of the half-finished, bug-ridden versions Midway put out in an attempt to get the game in arcades as quickly as possible.  Remember killing babies?  Remember performing a fatality, only to be declared the loser afterward?  That was funny, when it wasn't surreal.

Mortal Kombat 3 (sans Ultimate) wasn't unfinished in an amusing way, it was just unfinished.

885319[/snapback]

I agree.

BTW wasn't there a page that detailed all the various Mortal Kombat bugs? IIRC some of them were really interesting...

Tempest

I voted MKII as my favorite, although Deception was excellent as well.  I never could get into MK3 all that much - but I have it on MAT2, maybe I'll have to go back and give it another chance sometime.

887016[/snapback]

Seriously man, look up the combo moves for some of the characters, try them, and tell us what you think. :D

Edited by guitarmas

Genesis version of Mortal Kombat Ultimate. Not only did it have a whopping cast of MK characters in traditional MK style, but it also had an unlockable game, Galaga! Plus, Shao Kahn and that horse guy were pretty damn cool bosses. But eh, there's better Fighting games out there that I've played.

I like the original most, for some reason. I think it's the simplicity that I like. I also think Goro was the coolest MK boss character; a serious badass, but not this ridiculous and virtually invincible thing like Kintaro, Motaro, or Shao Kahn, although when II and III came out, I thought Kintaro, and later Motaro, were the wickedest guys ever. Come to think of it, in retrospect, Shao Kahn looks like more like some kind of sodomizing necrophiliac than a ruler of another dimension.

And I agree MK would have gone nowhere if not for the ludicrous gore.

Edited by BassGuitari