IGNORED

Radica Space Invaders > 7800 joystick

remowilliams

The RSI is definitely one of those unfortunate electronics products that is better when the main PCB is removed.  Thankfully jaybird3rd is helping to recycle the really nice part into something useful.  For anyone thinking about it - get one from him, you won't be disappointed.  The physical build quality of the RSI makes it a simply awesome joystick for your true classic gaming.  And it takes the 7800 to an entirely new level, I'm not exaggerating when I say that I immediately got higher scores the first time I used it.

I wish I could find a good use for the FB1 base unit now.  It blows many many more monkeys than the RSI ever did.  I converted one of its controllers to a 2600 stick, and the AC adapter and RCA cables were reused.  ;)

938636[/snapback]

Thanks for the kind words. I've only been using mine for a few weeks (since I saw your first post on the subject), and I already cannot imagine using my 7800 without it. Having two is even better, especially for games like 7800 Robotron! :lust:

As for the FB1, I own one too and I still hope I can find some information on how to add an NES cartridge port to it. It uses the same NES-on-a-chip that many of these other inexpensive TV-games use, and according to Curt, it is indeed capable of playing NES games as so many of the other TV-games have been modified to do. The FB1's removable controllers and AC power could make it a much better platform for NES games than the cheap battery-driven units with integrated controllers. Even if it comes down to hardwiring only a single NES game inside the FB1, I'd still get more use out of it if the game was a good one. I'm keeping my FB1 complete and in its box until I get the info I need to mod it.

Edited by jaybird3rd

Sweet mother of God!!! This is how the Atari is supposed to be played!!! :D

Seriously though, I just had the best game I've ever had at 2600 Pac-Man Jr. (a long-time favorite of mine) If anyone is on the fence about this, just do it because you will not regret it. Only thing I wish is that the cord was 1ft or 2ft longer... but that's a very minor thing.

Top notch job by Jay inside the stick too. cheers.gif

[edit]

And it passes the 5yr old test too...

SI-Cam.jpg

:D

Edited by adventurevision

VERY cool!!! I'm so glad to hear that so many people are getting new enjoyment out of their Atari systems because of these joysticks. My little niece (who will be three next month) was over here this past weekend and had some fun playing with my SI stick; I actually used my CX-40 and controlled the game behind her and let her have some fun thinking she was the one who was playing.

Okay, I've gotten a new shipment of sticks in, and I've taken the opportunity to try out some of my new ideas for them. Here is the first ...

mvc_001f.jpg

This was my first attempt at moving the circuitry from Atari's wireless 2600 joysticks inside the SI sticks, and I'm happy to say that it works pretty well. The circuit board from the original stick was only a little bit larger than the mainboards I've been pulling out of the SI sticks, so with a little persistence I was able to fit everything in with only a few modifications to the enclosure. Some plastic had to be cut out, including a small part of the battery harness (to make room for the antenna), but the modifications are not visible from the outside except for the antenna itself. The whole thing turned out to be pretty clean. Here is a shot of the (unfinished and temporarily messy) interior:

mvc_002f.jpg

I hated having to enclose the 9V battery inside the joystick, but the battery harness in these things was meant for four AA batteries, and is a little too shallow to allow the 9V battery to fit without leaving the door off. But, now that I'm sure this thing is going to work, I'm going to clean up the interior and finish wiring the action buttons. I'm probably going to wire the two buttons on the right side to the left and right directionals, to give me a set of controls for games that were button-based in the arcade (such as Asteroids, Track and Field, Space Invaders, etc.) The lefthand buttons will probably be wired together to the 2600 action button line. I really want to add a rapid/repeat-fire option to one of them, though, so if anyone has any advice on how to construct such a circuit, I'd love to hear it.

Edited by jaybird3rd

NICE!!! :love:

What's the cost for a couple of those bad-boys? :ahoy: Or did you just make them for yourself?  (or just to say you did it?) ;)

940657[/snapback]

I never actually intended to start building these for sale; I just wanted to make use of my 2600 Wireless Joysticks and to have a "prototype" that I can use to try out some features I'd like to include in a forthcoming (wired) 2600 version of the SI sticks. It's a lot more trouble to build these wireless sticks than a set of wired 7800 sticks, and since it requires a complete set of 2600 wireless controllers (including a receiver) _and_ two SI sticks, I'm not sure how practical it would be to offer these for sale; the hardware cost alone would put it outside the "impulse buy" range that I've tried to stay within. However, if anyone out there already has a set of wireless joysticks and would like me to make them into a pair of really spiffy arcade controllers, I'd certainly be willing to do it. I'd have to work out the pricing on a case-by-case basis, though.

Edited by jaybird3rd

Sorry for posting this... again... but these sticks really do take the 2600 & 7800 to the next level. My 5 year old and I have been playing the heck out of Centipede, A Better Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man, One-on-One, Hat Trick, Dark Chamber, Food Fight, and Scrapyard Dog. He just loves Scrapyard Dog and One-on-One! :D

Thanks again for the great schtick!

Sorry for posting this... again... but these sticks really do take the 2600 & 7800 to the next level.  My 5 year old and I have been playing the heck out of Centipede, A Better Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man, One-on-One, Hat Trick, Dark Chamber, Food Fight, and Scrapyard Dog.  He just loves Scrapyard Dog and One-on-One! :D

945002[/snapback]

You're very welcome. I'm glad to see that quite a few AtariAgers have given their 7800s a whole new lease on life with these sticks. They're still available, so anyone who wants one should feel free to let me know!

Thanks also to Lord Helmet for the Redemption 5200 report. I figured the SI sticks would probably work, but I don't have a 5200 myself and couldn't test it first-hand. It's nice to get confirmation from an actual owner.

EDIT: I might try posting an SI stick on eBay in the near future, just to see what kind of response I get. I'm sure there are 2600/7800 users out there who do not frequent AtariAge who would be interested in them.

Edited by jaybird3rd

Sorry for posting this... again... but these sticks really do take the 2600 & 7800 to the next level.  My 5 year old and I have been playing the heck out of Centipede, A Better Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man, One-on-One, Hat Trick, Dark Chamber, Food Fight, and Scrapyard Dog.  He just loves Scrapyard Dog and One-on-One! :D

945002[/snapback]

You're very welcome. I'm glad to see that quite a few AtariAgers have given their 7800s a whole new lease on life with these sticks. They're still available, so anyone who wants one should feel free to let me know!

Thanks also to Lord Helmet for the Redemption 5200 report. I figured the SI sticks would probably work, but I don't have a 5200 myself and couldn't test it first-hand. It's nice to get confirmation from an actual owner.

EDIT: I might try posting an SI stick on eBay in the near future, just to see what kind of response I get. I'm sure there are 2600/7800 users out there who do not frequent AtariAge who would be interested in them.

946575[/snapback]

They should work fine in the redemptions, as its the same hardware in the 7800 proline's as is in the SI sticks.

And your stick works great!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I'll go ahead and bump this thread, because I just picked up 2 Radica sticks at a Toys 'R Us that was closing down.  I have 2 Prolines that are falling apart and I'm thinking of sacrificing them for their cords...

1014454[/snapback]

Do it! You can use the resistors from the boards on the prolines also.

OK, well I failed to do myself what I always suggest as the first course of action....gotta' love good old google:

http://pinouts.ru/data/genesiscontroller_pinout.shtml

Looks like a sega use all 9 pins, so the cable has all nine wired. No clue what the colors are but that is what a meter is for!!

Guess I need to snag a couple cheep Sega pads and see if I can crush them together with a RSI.