IGNORED

Is River Patrol really that rare?

I didn't start this thread to turn this into a bashing of atari2600.com. I am sorry to see that it has happened. Joe has always responded to my emails and even posted a picture in the past when I asked for one. I have sent him items in the past from his want list and he paid me ASAP when they arrived. Please take a look at what he pays for items on his want list. He pays top dollar. He might charge more than you want to pay but he also pays a lot for the rare items that he sells.

Jeez...Who needs to see a picture of Air Sea Battle??? :?  

I do :D

Because whenever I want to buy a vintage item, not only Atari, but any vintage item, I have to see the picture. Vintage item deteriorate over time, so it's important for me to be able to see whether the deterioration is acceptable to me. His price is way high, even for Ebay standard. How can I be comfortable purchasing a CIB game for $21 or something without any picture and virtually zero customer service?

Imagine Ebay without any picture or any way to contact the sellers? Who's gonna bid?

890149[/snapback]

True, true, true... :) . All I am saying is, that if you wait for a reply...you will find out why we speak so highly of the people over at Atari2600.com. They are all about customer satisfaction... :cool: !

+...Have you tried contacting them from both their website and from your own personal email address? :ponder: Sometimes customer emails end up in the spam folder. You could even try on this site... Atari2600.com ...

No bashing here. Like I said, you get good, reliable service. I ordered a Vectrex last xmas, and he was out of stock. He was great about finding me a (mint) unit, and getting it to me ASAP. He runs a great store. No way I'm making payments on a 2600 cart though! :D

If you guys don't like the prices, don't buy. It is that simple. Both Atari2600.com and Atariguide.com charge a premium for what they sell, but they are also much more convenient than fishing through 1000s of Ebay auctions to try and get an item for less. To many who work long hours, it is not worth the effort just to save a little money.

As for his email, I agree that if he is going to run a business, he should be a lot better about responding to emails. I've had trouble getting in touch with him in the past as have many others. Being on vacation isn't an excuse. I was on vacation in the middle of the Yukon Territory not too long ago and even up there was able to get free Internet access when I needed it.

Uh, one can respond to emails on vacation, but one doesn't have access to one's inventory, typically, whilst on vacation.

So Atari2600 is a family owned business run by a family of 2 adults with 2 young kids. They have an enormous inventory. At my height of hording, I had maybe 2000 games, and just fielding questions for a few trades and sales took me way more time than I'd like- I can only imagine managing an inventory of 10000+ items and constant inquiries.

Of course email should be answered. I think that even when Greiner owned the business, they weren't incredibly responsive. Still, they reply to my emails (disclosure statement: I consider them personal friends) within a few days and are very reasonable.

It's funny how people think that there is some big money motivation or major company involved in classic gaming. There isn't. It's a hobbiest community, with a few stalwart stores in place that are mostly family run, without employees to speak of with respect to web sales. The shows (conventions) are all hobbiest run, and each is lucky to break even in cash expenditure, and never break even in work hours. Even Atari Age has a limited staff (well, I think it's mainly Albert doing the physical labor of the sales- correct me), but manages to provide a professional front on the web and in the community that looks better than some large corporations.

With respect to atari2600.com prices:

Take it or leave it. If I look every few months on the website or at their booth at CGE, I always find stuff I need at good prices. However, if you're specifically looking for Super Rare Item 10, they may charge a premium based on their experience, as well as their status as the longest standing vendor out there that has maintained a presence on the web and covers a variety of systems. For example, I picked up a copy of Subterranea complete in box (Silver NTSC version) for $75 from them recently. Keep an eye on their inventory for deals. As the years go by, their prices seem less and less out of whack to me. Of course, I look for better deals on alot of stuff. If you went out tomorrow and said "I have to have a River Patrol", well you'd know where to go. And that type of service has value.

I used to resent them before I met them for maybe the first couple of years of collecting, but now I consider Atari2600.com a resource, and very nice people.

Edited by ianoid

Uh, one can respond to emails on vacation, but one doesn't have access to one's inventory, typically, whilst on vacation.

I think it would be enough to set up a few canned automated responses to at least let people know that the email will be read and eventually responded to. I don't know a damn thing about programming outside of some rudimentary Dreamweaver commands and even *I* was able to set that one up for my work email when I went on vacation for two weeks.

So Atari2600 is a family owned business run by a family of 2 adults with 2 young kids. They have an enormous inventory. At my height of hording, I had maybe 2000 games, and just fielding questions for a few trades and sales took me way more time than I'd like- I can only imagine managing an inventory of 10000+ items and constant inquiries.

Of course email should be answered. I think that even when Greiner owned the business, they weren't incredibly responsive. Still, they reply to my emails (disclosure statement: I consider them personal friends) within a few days and are very reasonable.

It's funny how people think that there is some big money motivation or major company involved in classic gaming. There isn't. It's a hobbiest community, with a few stalwart stores in place that are mostly family run, without employees to speak of with respect to web sales. The shows (conventions) are all hobbiest run, and each is lucky to break even in cash expenditure, and never break even in work hours. Even Atari Age has a limited staff (well, I think it's mainly Albert doing the physical labor of the sales- correct me), but manages to provide a professional front on the web and in the community that looks better than some large corporations.

Take it or leave it. If I look every few months on the website or at their booth at CGE, I always find stuff I need at good prices. However, if you're specifically looking for Super Rare Item 10, they may charge a premium based on their experience, as well as their status as the longest standing vendor out there that has maintained a presence on the web and covers a variety of systems. For example, I picked up a copy of Subterranea complete in box (Silver NTSC version) for $75 from them recently. Keep an eye on their inventory for deals. As the years go by, their prices seem less and less out of whack to me. Of course, I look for better deals on alot of stuff. If you went out tomorrow and said "I have to have a River Patrol", well you'd know where to go. And that type of service has value.

I used to resent them before I met them for maybe the first couple of years of collecting, but now I consider Atari2600.com a resource, and very nice people.

890625[/snapback]

Ahhh, very well said. :)

Although I hope, BinaryGoddess doesn't read your response. :ponder:

I've gotten some incredible stuff from Joe, his wife and his mom over the years and I agree, friends is more like it. :cool:

890625[/snapback]

Ahhh, very well said. :)

Although I hope, BinaryGoddess doesn't read your response. :ponder:

I've gotten some incredible stuff from Joe, his wife and his mom over the years and I agree, friends is more like it. :cool:

890728[/snapback]

I agree...both well said! :)

Thanks everyone for the constructive criticisms as well as gushing compliments. You're absolutely correct. The three topics of communications, merchandise images and pricing are what I would consider our greatest continuing challenges at Atari2600.com. Allow me address each below and also add some personal information which may be of interest.

The posts from hendra, JSoper and yuppicide mentioned poor responses to e-mails from Atari2600.com as a irritant. We are absolutely overloaded with spam. Our filters remove most spam but also valid e-mail. E-mail submitted through our form submit function on Atari2600.com will come through. I think certain free e-mail providers are being blocked by our filters. If you wish to send an initial e-mail, please use our form submit e-mail. While Atari2600.com never 'closes' we do close operations from time to time. Orders are shipped and e-mails are returned as soon as we return.

I hate shopping for a product and not being able to see an image of the item. I know visitors to Atari2600.com are disappointed in not having pictures of the items offered. What we've done is add screenshots to our loose cartridge listings for Atari 2600, Atari 5200, and ColecoVision. Atari 2600 controllers and accessories and systems are pictured. Individually graded Atari 2600 carts are now pictured. Better boxed Atari 2600 boxed titles will be photographed and added to Atari2600.com next. The limitation here is time and magnitude. We have over 6,000 items on Atari2600.com. Efforts will be made to add boxed Atari 2600 game pictures followed by an overhaul of Intellivision listings and then 7800 screenshots.

I was pleased to read support for our scaled pricing on condition graded Atari2600 cartrdges. For example, we currently have five River Patrol cartridges in stock with condition grades of 6/10, 8/10, 9/10, and 10/10(2ea). Prices range from $345.00 to $525.00. VCG currently prices RP at $425.00. Our graded carts have been very popular with a strong preference for the highest condition(price) available. Quality sells. Our prices on common items is often no greater than $1.00. A wise man told me years ago that if you're interested in meeting women, go where women hang out. I guess the same is true with video games. A patient game collector will be rewarded by visiting Atari2600.com because newly listed items may be priced below market and slow stock is often reduced in price. Our new shopping cart software will feature a Newly Listed Items section which will make quick checks for new stock easier.

Atari2600.com is largely a one man operation. We employ a service tech and also part time seasonal workers. Atari2600.com was purchased in 1999 from the original owner. The business loan was retired last year. From 1999 through 2004 Atari2600.com was operated on a part-time basis. In October 2004 I quit my eight year employment with a Defense contractor to work full time for Atari2600.com. While challenges continue (see above) we're growing and making improvements. I would recommend everyone start and run a business at least once. The experience is far more satisfying than punching a clock or acting grateful for that 3% raise.

As we prepare for the arrival of our second child we may be 'closed' for brief periods, but just keep e-mailing and calling and we'll get back to ya.

Joe Cody

Atari2600.com

I held it in my gready little hands, before it shipped out.  :roll:  :D

894787[/snapback]

LOL...I heard all about that! :lol:

I did notice a drool spot or was it a tear on the packing? :roll:

J/K

:D

894796[/snapback]

At least I didin't take any pictures with it. Or did I ???? :P

• 1 month later...