IGNORED

atari 8-bits in arcade machines?

Shannon

Was messing with a more recent version of MAME and noticed it had some arcade games awfully similar to the Atari 8-bit. The games I remember off hand are...

Astrochase, boulderdash, and bristles.

Oddly enough MAME couldn't get them right. :lol: (No sound).

The hardware was listed as "maxaflex".

Anyone? :?: :?: :?:

Funny you should bring this up. I asked the same question aprox 20 years ago. I

was on vacation in California at DisneyLand and I played an arcade game with

similar "character" mode grfx to Star Raiders except it was more colorful and less

in depth (no galactic charts etc..) I spotted it as an 8bit way back then and it had to be some type

of atari 800 hardware in there, I believe this was before the ST's/XL's and when Atari was

still owned by Warner Bros, so it was actually 20+ years ago. I dont rem the name

of the game, but it wasn't an official "Atari" arcade machine...

I've always wondered whatr the hell it was anyone have any idea?

I know Amiga's and Jaguar's were used in various arcade machines, of course the Neo Geo and Dreamcast were arcade hardware before they became consoles, but I dont recall reading anywhere anything about the Atari 800 hardware used in any (aside from

the Pokey sound chip)

I commented this already somewhere else ...

It wasn't very common, but in developing countries you could find arcade coin-up sites where all the machines were home computers.

One of those sites was exclusively built on 800XL machines, most of them running off cartridges. They built their own mechanism to press START when the user inserted a coin. I was contracted by them to adapt games and to make them compatible for this purpose. The game had to be in cartridge form and it couldn't start with the joystick button (as many, probably most games do).

Was messing with a more recent version of MAME and noticed it had some arcade games awfully similar to the Atari 8-bit.  The games I remember off hand are...

Oddly enough MAME couldn't get them right.  :lol:  (No sound).

I get sound on all four games (Flip & Flop is the 4th), check your settings.

MAME has been emulating POKEYs and QuadPOKEYs (ala Star Wars) for several years. Almost if not completely perfectly.

The Max-a-Flex (made by Exidy) was an arcade cab with an XL inside. As well as the four games mentioned in this thread, there is supposedly a demo cart for the system, that showcases the four games.

Apparently the system came with interchangeable artwork for the games. It was a massive commercial flop.

Was messing with a more recent version of MAME and noticed it had some arcade games awfully similar to the Atari 8-bit.  The games I remember off hand are...

Oddly enough MAME couldn't get them right.  :lol:  (No sound).

I get sound on all four games (Flip & Flop is the 4th), check your settings.

MAME has been emulating POKEYs and QuadPOKEYs (ala Star Wars) for several years. Almost if not completely perfectly.

898695[/snapback]

I'll have to look into this then. I'm not really sure what version of MAME is running on the set-up I tried just that it is DOS-MAME on a Mamewah set-up. Think Draxsynn if you even heard of them.

Anyways I'll tinker around with a bit and see if I can get the sound to work for the max-a-flex.

On a slightly related subject, my dad back in like 1983 put a Atari 2600 in a table top arcade unit. Made it possible to select a game in memory by a two number combination on the side, or insert a cartridge.

The table top was a old pong unit.

You could insert a joystick or controller on the side, or use one of four paddle controllers on the table itself. Basically dad used 2600 paddle controllers and arcade qualitty...well.. the original paddle buttons, with the 2600 paddles.

As the years progressed, the 2600 paddles flaked out, but one interesting trick we learned .... in the game VEnture if you have the paddle controllers plugged in and hit both fire buttons, you will move in a northeast (?) direction and through walls. :) So you could be in the map room, and simple move the character through a wall and into a room, and then the hall monsters could not get you. ;) With the game table, I could use the joystick, and then hit the table top paddle buttons when in a pinch. :D

Fun days. Anyway, years later what amazes me is how he converted a Arcade style monitor to work with a 2600, but I guess that was a Jamma device for you. :)

In the early nineties the late 70's pong monitor bit the dust. We have been looking for a color monitor to replace it, but not so much luck on that. And we haven't really tried.

Claims to be an Atari computer in an arcade cab. I've never heard of Plaque Man though. Google says it was a C64 game. WTF??

It's on the Atari as well: http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...13&SOFT_ID=4002

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

903670[/snapback]

Any chance of atari800 emu or mame and roms on a stick