IGNORED

The Paper 6 Switch

Atari-Jess

My first 3d model to Pepakura project is of course a 6 switch Atari VCS

Again ive not tested it but I suspect it will fold just fine (better than the joystick)

the image is HUGE (for the details and dimensionwise only) so you'll need a program that will press the image down on a single page.

post-575-1122920883_thumb.png

Edited by Atari-Jess
  • Like 1

Pepakura is the japanese name for Papercraft, Pepakura designer (the program) is useless unless you have a 3d modeler program.

Neither a good 3d modeler or pepakura designer are free.

pepakura designer:

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

I suggest this 3dmodeler:

http://www.ac3d.org/

I do not recommend Milkshape 3d, I had a licence bought for me

(as I had done with ac3d) but I could not make 3d things well enough

in that program. And certainly I could NOT have done this 2600 model

properly for pepakura designer if I had been using milkshape.

So go ac3d, a bit pricier, but worth the difference in cost.

(still cheaper than maya or 3d studio max!)

I cut it out but think I'll wait to glue it together. 

One thing that you might want to do is add something like the * Honda used for  my car that show what sections to not cut.  The areas around the base of the Atari are slightly confusing.

902771[/snapback]

Good Lord that car looks like a little more work than the 2600 :-o

I cut it out but think I'll wait to glue it together. 

One thing that you might want to do is add something like the * Honda used for  my car that show what sections to not cut.  The areas around the base of the Atari are slightly confusing.

902771[/snapback]

Just follow this rule of thumb,

if the potential fold/flap does not at its base reach from one end to the other end of whatever it is attached to, it is not a flap and can be removed.

Also, there is a place you don't have to cut, just follow this helpful guide.

the "dash" line where the green triangles are tells you that you don't have to cut there.

post-575-1122951349_thumb.jpg

Atari-Jess that's the cooliest thing I've seen for quite some time! Is it possible to make a joystick? I think it would be challenging, but maybe you could toss the idea around. Great job on the 2600!  :D

902937[/snapback]

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73741

That is the joystick I made previously. Its not as well designed since I did it manually.

But if you just want more, its a decent one. (the joystick "works" too.

Well, I finally put one together ... more or less. I discovered that using glossy photo paper with that shiny backing (Kodak brand) is not welcoming to paper glue or hot glue. I literally had to use an Xacto knife to scrape hundreds of scratches in the inner surface where the tabs were to be affixed in order to get the hot glue to stick with any reliability.

Regular card stock probably would have worked a lot better.

But still, here are the messy results...

post-104-1123033421_thumb.jpg

post-104-1123033427_thumb.jpg

post-104-1123033436_thumb.jpg

that looks SO MUCH better than how mine did.

I was so embarassed its why I didn't take photos :P

903535[/snapback]

If I can sit down and work it out, I may convert the image to use slots/tabs instead of requiring glue. I hate gluing those fussy little tabs, especially on glossy paper. If done right, slots/tabs might hold together better and come together much more neatly than glue. The one I did above has a ton of unsightly tabs, buts of hot glue peeking out from the seams, and if you look where the grille meets the control panel there's a huge gap where I just couldn't get the tab to meet the underside of the grille. (It was the last one I glued together so I couldn't get in there and physically hold the two together)

Mainly though I really don't want to use paper or card stock because it loses that nice glossy finish, and it would look faded and drab.

Edited by Mindfield

Neat, but why is the woodgrain so pixely?

A few months back there was a thread somewhere on exactly what kind of wood the 2600's faux-woodgrain was supposed to be. I can't remember what the consensus was though.

903795[/snapback]

The woodgrain is pixelly because I originally converted the texture I found to pixel shapes rather than an image.

I just didn't bother to go back once I abandoned the plan of WHY I wanted to convert it to a shape to begin with.

• 10 years later...