IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Sinistar Prototype Discovered!

Albert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The AtariProtos.com site says there is a little color glitch in the death screen but I seem to remember the real arcade machine flashing the screen like that.

You would think that once a game is that far along that they would let them finish it in hopes of making back some of the development expense. A couple more weeks work and it probably would have been pretty good.

The AtariProtos.com site says there is a little color glitch in the death screen but I seem to remember the real arcade machine flashing the screen like that.

The thing is, it's not flashing in the 8-bit version. It's just a static dark red background instead of the normal black. I assumed that the programmer just forgot to set the background color back to black after he changed it to dark red for the death screen.

You would think that once a game is that far along that they would let them finish it in hopes of making back some of the development expense. A couple more weeks work and it probably would have been pretty good.

Sometimes it didn't matter how good the game was. There were lots of good games that were basically done that got cancelled. When the market crashed, it seems no one wanted to buy games, no matter how good they were.

Now why they didn't resurrect it for the XE line is a complete mystery. They finished and released Crystal Castles after all...

Tempest

One word: Licensing. Atari did not own the rights to Sinistar.

I am still waiting for more materials to arrive. Once that happens I can evaluate everthing and find the best version to release.

are you still waiting for the same materials you were waiting for over a year ago or this something new? It's too bad

someone couldnt just release a rom and call it "prototype" so anyone who plays it will know it might not be the actual most

complete version, but at least we could see it for ourselves. If you found a better version you could always release that one and call it version B or SinistarFinal...

One word: Licensing. Atari did not own the rights to Sinistar.

I am still waiting for more materials to arrive. Once that happens I can evaluate everthing and find the best version to release.

are you still waiting for the same materials you were waiting for over a year ago or this something new? It's too bad

someone couldnt just release a rom and call it "prototype" so anyone who plays it will know it might not be the actual most

complete version, but at least we could see it for ourselves. If you found a better version you could always release that one and call it version B or SinistarFinal...

Plus I wouldn't mind playing with different 'works-in-progress'. Hopefully the author gets motivated to find the final copy. BTW, keep up the great work Dutchman2000.

Allan

Allan-

I hope so too. He has just been really busy and can't find the time to send me out the remaining materials. I don't want to bug him too much, but he does want Sinistar to be released. He only wants to make sure that the best, playable version is released. I want to respect his wishes so we can continue to expect great things. It's possible that he might have more then just Sinistar in his archive.

I also want to release a ROM version. Right now the only version that exists is an autobooting disk that doesn't work well on real hardware. I just need to get the source code so I can compile a cartridge ROM version. More details to follow once I have them...

Allan-

I hope so too. He has just been really busy and can't find the time to send me out the remaining materials. I don't want to bug him too much, but he does want Sinistar to be released. He only wants to make sure that the best, playable version is released. I want to respect his wishes so we can continue to expect great things. It's possible that he might have more then just Sinistar in his archive.

I also want to release a ROM version. Right now the only version that exists is an autobooting disk that doesn't work well on real hardware. I just need to get the source code so I can compile a cartridge ROM version. More details to follow once I have them...

Thanks for the response. We all know how hard it is to do our hobbies when there's so little time left over from work, parenting, etc. I was just wondering, if Sinistar was written to be on a cart, does that mean it only accesses 16K of RAM at a time? Just wondering how well that might translate over to the 5200 with it's 16K RAM and 32K ROM (or possible a bank-switch cart.)?

Anyways, good luck, we're rooting for you.

Allan

Allan-

Sinistar was never intended to be developed for the 5200. The production file mentions nothing about a 5200 port. The programmer only wrote it for the Atari 800 computer line, so it requires at least 48k of RAM to run. A 5200 port may be possible, but it is unlikely. He did tell me that he wouldn't have minded doing a 5200 port if marketing had asked him. He would've gotten more bonus pay that way.

Allan-

Sinistar was never intended to be developed for the 5200. The production file mentions nothing about a 5200 port. The programmer only wrote it for the Atari 800 computer line, so it requires at least 48k of RAM to run. A 5200 port may be possible, but it is unlikely. He did tell me that he wouldn't have minded doing a 5200 port if marketing had asked him. He would've gotten more bonus pay that way.

That's interesting that the programmer knew nothing about a 5200 port. The document Curt Vendal posted lists Sinistar as 2 weeks to completion on 8-2-84. Maybe someone else was working on a 5200 version?

Allan

Remember that list was done by the Tramiels and it is likely that they didn't know it was only for the computers. Also marketing canceled the game before the sale date, so they might've had plans for a 5200 release. They did ask Steve Crandall after he finished Miilipede to port it over to the 5200, so it could've happened. The programmer has told me over and over again that he was NOT asked to do a 5200 port.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling it is going to be a long time before we see this game. From what Ive seen of it (obviously pictures only) it is gonna look great but is it playable are the controls all worked out?

It plays just fine. The only problem with the game is the enemy AI is somewhat weak, but since Sinistar was obnoxiously hard to begin with this just means it plays like a normal game. :D :P

Tempest

• 1 month later...

Well,

There is a LOT of things here.

First, I now have the source code printout of Sinistar dated June 1st, 1984. I also have the development file, which has all of his notes when he was writing the game.

I have not had a chance to go through all the disks he sent, but at first glance it doesn't appear to have any other unreleased gamees in there.

I will examine the source and compare it to the other versions I already have and see which is the best version to release. Once that happens, I will compile a cartridge ROM for release.

Well,

First, I now have the source code printout of Sinistar dated June 1st, 1984. I also have the development file, which has all of his notes when he was writing the game.

I have not had a chance to go through all the disks he sent, but at first glance it doesn't appear to have any other unreleased gamees in there.

I will examine the source and compare it to the other versions I already have and see which is the best version to release. Once that happens, I will compile a cartridge ROM for release.

The nice thing about source code is the enemy logic could eventually be fixed and a 5200 version *might* be an option.

Sinistar was a real love/hate thing for me. I love the game but it was so difficult I hated it. Dang quarter thief anyway.

Being able to play it at home would have been awesome. Too bad they killed the project.

Well,

Awesome!! Alot of us have been waiting very patiently for this to arrive. Really looking forward to it. I remember you saying in an earlier post that you may also be uncovering some other previously uncovered code in these batches of disks you have obtained. Care to divuldge whether you have discovered any other interesting or unfinished works?