IGNORED

An alternative to alchohol for cleaning contacts

oldgames

Electric train track cleaner works great!

It's made to clean the tracks on electric trains and slot car tracks, so there's nothing in it that will hurt the plastic or metal components of your cartridges.

The brand I found is from a company called Life Like and is available at most hobby stores that sell electric trains.

It's a liquid, so you just apply it with a q-tip or cleaning wand the same way you would alchohol.

It's made a believer out of me.

:D

I submerge all my carts in Armor All for 10 days minimum.  :lust:

918126[/snapback]

LOL!!!

Oh by the way. most spray Electronics Cleaners have high solvents and make AMAZING roach or bug killers. Its safer than RAID, and kills them in seconds.

I love using that stuff on roaches, wasps, spiders..

Tip, if using it against a wasps nest, its even more fun if you have a lighter or propane torch in front of the spray!!! WOOOOOSHHH!!!

Edited by CPU64

Electric train track cleaner works great!

It's made to clean the tracks on electric trains and slot car tracks, so there's nothing in it that will hurt the plastic or metal components of your cartridges.

The brand I found is from a company called Life Like and is available at most hobby stores that sell electric trains.

It's a liquid, so you just apply it with a q-tip or cleaning wand the same way you would alchohol.

918032[/snapback]

I hope they've improved that stuff since the first (and only) time I used it, musta been the early 80s. I got a "track cleaning" car for the HO layout at Christmas, a caboose with a weighted felt pad underneath and a reservoir for cleaning fluid. Within about a month of when I started using it, all track on the layout was junk, including all the switches and several extra pieces that were replaced when problems first started - the plastic spontaneously broke, sometimes in the middle between the rails and sometimes where it wrapped around the bottom of the rails. Part of the problem was, of course, that the cleaning car dispensed too much cleaner, but even so, the fluid should have been plastic-safe!

• 9 months later...

I wanted to try out two different places that cleaned cartridges, one cleaned them with a special solution that they composed, which actaully sounds kinda scary but it worked better than any where else. The second place submerged in some really nasty stuff that ate the labels right off, but the carts were really clean, and they printed me some custom labels that look really cool. A duplicate copy of Asteroids that I had sold for $15 to my friend who had ripped me off in the past, I told him it was a rare prototype. :)

Edited by A_Username

Pfft, gasoline. Use white gas (ie Coleman fuel) like a real man! :D

I always use alcohol like most folks. So is there a recognized stage of sickness when you've used up your first full bottle exclusively for cleaning cartridges? I'm coming up on that milestone.

I thought enriched uranium cleaned carts better than anything else.

BTW, among the model railraod community, Life Like is known for what it is: Junk.

Good brands include Athearn (if they still exist), Bachmann to some extent, and for HO slot racers, Tyco Magnum 440, Tomy, and any AFX line except Magna Traction all work well. Amrac made good slot racers, some of the fastest, but they weren't around very long. If you find 'em, get 'em, fix 'em, and go win some races with 'em.