IGNORED

Once Upon Atari?

trusty

Okay,

After multiple searches within the Atari Age Forums, I have so far failed to turn up any hits on Howard Scott Warshaw's DVD- Once Upon Atari.

I'm having a hard time believing this has never been discussed before.

Well, in the rare event it truly hasn't been discussed, Once Upon Atari is an Uncensored story of what really happened behind the scenes at Atari. If you grew up during the Atari phenomenon, then you remember the insane times we had with our precious 2600's. Heck, even if you weren't around during Atari's heyday, it's still AMAZING to witness the birth, life and death(?) of the worlds most FAMOUS console gaming system.

The DVD is crammed with interviews & stories from the actual game designers, engineers & programmers that were there. Enjoy stories from Rob Fulop (Missle Command / Night Driver) Howard Scott Warshaw (Yar's Revenge / E.T) Nolan Bushnell himself, Todd Frye (Pac-Man) and the list goes on and on....

If you haven't heard of this priceless gem then you have GOT to go to Scott West productions and snag a copy of Once Upon Atari! You will NOT regret it!

Here's a Link - Once Upon Atari

SjN

Thats what I thought!

There was no way this DVD couldn't have been mentioned. When I searched for it, I entered my 'Once Upon Atari' query into the search field on the main forum page. I came up with tons of hits but none reverencing what I was searching for.

Sure would love to know if Scott West Productions is planning more of these. After all, he calls it a documentary "Series".

On a side note, does anyone know if those guy occasionally hang out over here at Atari Age?

SjN

Once Upon Atari is a good documentary series, but I personally prefer the Stella at 20 documentary series. It's a much better source for technical information, while Once Upon Atari seems to focus more on "smokin' the reefer" stories. I don't know if it's still possible to obtain a copy of Stella at 20, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Bump, 'cos I just recieved my copy today and just got finished watching it.  Very nicely done and some great stories, anecdotes and interesting facts from some of the greatest Atari programmers.  Worth every penny!

933518[/snapback]

Awesome documentary, hope there's a part 2 or HSW releases the cutting room bits for download. Anyone else surprised by all of the drug talk?

Awesome documentary, hope there's a part 2 or HSW releases the cutting room bits for download.  Anyone else surprised by all of the drug talk?

937275[/snapback]

Not a bit. It was the 70s and early 80s, money was flowing, and the sort of personalities on the recieving end of all that dough were rather nutty. It was still interesting though, hearing all about that stuff long after the fact by the folks who were all a part of it.

Stella at 20 seems very interesting.... anyone has a DVD copy for sale? Do they ever came in DVD or just VHS?

937846[/snapback]

It's a VERY professional and informative documentary series; probably the best of its kind that I've ever seen (and that includes Once Upon Atari). Both volumes were released on VHS only, and I haven't the remotest idea where you could go to obtain new copies. I was fortunate enough to buy both of mine before the remaining stock went to Hozer Video and (apparently) subsequently disappeared. I wish it would be re-released on DVD, which would make it possible to restore some of the commentary and other things that were edited out of the original release.

Edited by jaybird3rd

I agree with Jaybird3rd. Once Upon Atari is a good doc and any 2600 fan should own it. But Stella at 20 is the best doc on the 2600 and I have only seen Volume 1. I got it from Hozer and Volume 2 was not available. There must be something about Volume 2 that makes it much more popular and thus harder to get than Volume 1.

I would love to see both Volumes of Stella at 20 released on DVD.

I agree with Jaybird3rd.  Once Upon Atari is a good doc and any 2600 fan should own it. But Stella at 20 is the best doc on the 2600 and I have only seen Volume 1.  I got it from Hozer and Volume 2 was not available.  There must be something about Volume 2 that makes it much more popular and thus harder to get than Volume 1.

I would love to see both Volumes of Stella at 20 released on DVD.

937912[/snapback]

Volume 2 is the one that includes the interviews with the programmers. They interview most of the Imagic and Activision principals as well as a few Atari developers. Off the top of my head, I remember seeing interviews with Alan Miller, David Crane, Larry Kaplan, Dennis Koble, Rob Fulop, Bob Smith, Rick Maurer, Larry Wagner, Carol Shaw, Todd Frye, and Steve DeFrisco (there may also be others I'm forgetting). It's a very cool conclusion to the series; I remember that at one point during Larry Kaplan's interview, Alan Miller fires up Kaboom for the first time in a few years and plays a few rounds with Nolan Bushnell and others looking on. Awesome stuff!

I'd love to get the Stella at 20 set, but it'd be the next best thing to impossible to find.  I wonder if it would be possible to obtain permission to produce it on DVD?  It wouldn't be difficult to remaster it to DVD and create a nice interactive menu for it.  But who owns the rights?

937965[/snapback]

I'd imagine that Glenn Saunders / Cyberpunks still owns the rights, but I got the impression that "Stella at 20" didn't sell nearly as well as "Once Upon Atari" on VHS (I hope I'm wrong about that), so they might have concluded that there isn't enough demand to make a DVD release profitable. I'll tell you something, though: I'd scoop up two DVD copies in a minute if it is ever released in that format, especially if there are some special features (along the lines of remarks/interviews that were cut, etc).

Edited by jaybird3rd

I'd love to get the Stella at 20 set, but it'd be the next best thing to impossible to find.  I wonder if it would be possible to obtain permission to produce it on DVD?  It wouldn't be difficult to remaster it to DVD and create a nice interactive menu for it.  But who owns the rights?

937965[/snapback]

I'd imagine that Glenn Saunders / Cyberpunks still owns the rights, but I got the impression that "Stella at 20" didn't sell nearly as well as "Once Upon Atari" on VHS (I hope I'm wrong about that), so they might have concluded that there isn't enough demand to make a DVD release profitable. I'll tell you something, though: I'd scoop up two DVD copies in a minute if it is ever released in that format, especially if there are some special features (along the lines of remarks/interviews that were cut, etc).

937999[/snapback]

I'm inclined to agree with you. Stella at 20 most likely didn't sell as well due to many factors. One being advertising. Scott West Productions was able to get the word out about their DVD. I personally discovered this little gem in a Maximum PC magazine (If I recall correctly). I have since posted it over on digg.com to help in spreading the word about Once Upon Atari.

For what it's worth, I just fired off an email to Scott West Productions to see what their perspective on the whole 'Stella at 20' situation is. Who knows, maybe Scott West Productions can turn some screws and make Stella at 20 a DVD reality.

It's worth a shot if anything. Maybe if we all turn up some heat, we can get the gears rolling again. Here's some email addresses. (Haven't tested Randy's & Glenn's yet)

Randy Crihfield (Hozer Videogames) - hozervideo@netway.com

Glenn Saunders (Cyberpunks) - cybpunks@hotmail.com

Scott West Productions (Once Upon Atari) - http://www.onceuponatari.com/contact.html

I'll let you know what Scott West Productions comes back with

Trusty

I'd definitely snap up a DVD if one were released. It'd be great to get a different perspective and format on the Atari story. And producing it on DVD would certainly be cheaper and more convenient, considering most people by now probably have at least two DVD players (one dedicated hooked up to their TV, and one on their computer) so it would make a lot of sense.

Whether Cyberpunks or Scott did it wouldn't really matter to me, as long as it gets done. :)