IGNORED

I finally finished a Metroid game!

Room 34

For all of my obsessive talk about Metroid games, I must admit, I've never actually FINISHED one. In fact, I generally have a problem with finishing games. I just don't feel motivated to deal with the insane difficulty of the boss fights, when there's no more game to look forward too afterward. So, I'm now stuck right at the final boss fights in both Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes. (For that matter, also with Zelda Minish Cap on the GBA!)

Well... I FINALLY finished a Metroid game... Zero Mission. OK, I admit, I finished it on EASY mode. I'm stuck at the Mother Brain fight in normal mode. I beat the brain twice but ran out of time spastically trying to jump my way to safety in the escape sequence afterwards. So I just decided one night that I'd start a new game on easy mode, and just have fun. Well I got all the way to Tourian in one sitting, and then after having put the game aside for a while, decided to keep going. Naturally, the boss fights are much easier on easy mode, but it was still fun to get through to the end. I'm going to have to go back to my saved normal mode game and try to finish it now, although I hate to think how much trouble I'm going to have "suitless" in the Space Pirate mothership!

Anyway... easy mode or not, finishing it was enough to unlock the original Metroid, which was my primary objective! Now I don't have to waste $10 on the Classic NES Series version.

:dunce:

Now I don't have to waste $10 on the Classic NES Series version.

It wouldn't be a waste, my friend.

I have the same problem sometimes, too: I get to the last boss and don't feel like failing for two weeks while I learn the loophole to easily defeat him, so I stop.

The first Metroid game I beat was the original Metroid (I really can't understand how anyone of you guys could resist the Kid Icarus/Metroid one-two punch Nintendo did to us at the time).

Anyway, I thought it was great back then, but you couldn't pay me to play it now. We seemed to have a lot more patience back then eh? :ponder: That or we tended to get one game at a time and stick to it before we bought another one....

The first Metroid game I beat was the original Metroid (I really can't understand how anyone of you guys could resist the Kid Icarus/Metroid one-two punch Nintendo did to us at the time).

Easy. I was 5, and my parents weren't willing/able to shell out the cash.

Anyway, I thought it was great back then, but you couldn't pay me to play it now. We seemed to have a lot more patience back then eh? :ponder: That or we tended to get one game at a time and stick to it before we bought another one....

I think it has more to do with the concept being done far better since then.

Why play Metroid when you have Super Metroid?

Of course, I'd play literally everything when I was a kid. Some of the stuff I waded through you couldn't pay me to play now.

I'm a big Metroid fan from way back. I've played all of them to completion except for the latest two. I just bought a gamecube last week. Despite the fact that I hate FPS games with a passion, I got Metroid Prime anyway. I'm quite pleased that Metroid made the translation to FPS very nicely. I only played it for a few minutes (I bought several games, chose to play Mario Sunshine first) but I do look forward to some serious play time once I get to this one. Kudos to Nintendo for actually creating a FPS that I find to be playable.

-S

For all of my obsessive talk about Metroid games, I must admit, I've never actually FINISHED one.  In fact, I generally have a problem with finishing games. I just don't feel motivated to deal with the insane difficulty of the boss fights, when there's no more game to look forward too afterward. So, I'm now stuck right at the final boss fights in both Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes. (For that matter, also with Zelda Minish Cap on the GBA!)

Well... I FINALLY finished a Metroid game... Zero Mission. OK, I admit, I finished it on EASY mode. I'm stuck at the Mother Brain fight in normal mode. I beat the brain twice but ran out of time spastically trying to jump my way to safety in the escape sequence afterwards. So I just decided one night that I'd start a new game on easy mode, and just have fun. Well I got all the way to Tourian in one sitting, and then after having put the game aside for a while, decided to keep going. Naturally, the boss fights are much easier on easy mode, but it was still fun to get through to the end.  I'm going to have to go back to my saved normal mode game and try to finish it now, although I hate to think how much trouble I'm going to have "suitless" in the Space Pirate mothership!

Anyway... easy mode or not, finishing it was enough to unlock the original Metroid, which was my primary objective! Now I don't have to waste $10 on the Classic NES Series version.

:dunce:

Wait a minute... the original is in there? And you can unlock it on easy mode? I am stuck fighting the brain in the glass... is that the brain you are talking about?

EDIT: The brain in Room 34's avitar I am referring to

Edited by keilbaca

Wait a minute... the original is in there? And you can unlock it on easy mode? I am stuck fighting the brain in the glass... is that the brain you are talking about?

930176[/snapback]

The brain's not in my avatar anymore (now that I've beat it!) but yes, once you finish Zero Mission, even on easy, you unlock the full original NES Metroid.

However... the brain is not the end of Zero Mission. Without revealing too much detail (in case you haven't already heard all about it), after you complete what WOULD be the end, if it were the same as the original Metroid, you have to work your way through the Space Pirate Mother Ship (much of it WITHOUT your power suit) to one final boss fight. (A boss fight that happens to be INCREDIBLY EASY on the easy mode... although the power suit-less part is still a challenge.)

930176[/snapback]

The brain's not in my avatar anymore (now that I've beat it!) but yes, once you finish Zero Mission, even on easy, you unlock the full original NES Metroid.

However... the brain is not the end of Zero Mission. Without revealing too much detail (in case you haven't already heard all about it), after you complete what WOULD be the end, if it were the same as the original Metroid, you have to work your way through the Space Pirate Mother Ship (much of it WITHOUT your power suit) to one final boss fight. (A boss fight that happens to be INCREDIBLY EASY on the easy mode... although the power suit-less part is still a challenge.)

Wow, I am damn near the end but I didn't know it. I thought I was, I wasn't sure, but eh, I'll take it. Looks like I need to finally try to beat that tonight :)

930176[/snapback]

Question: Did anyone here NOT know what "brain in the glass" he meant?

As far as I know, there's only one mother brain per game.

Yeah, but if he's never finished the game (or hadn't read ahead on walkthroughs, etc.) he might not know that. I also would've thought it would be kind of like not knowing what Rosebud is, but... well, you never know...

That was sort of my first thought. "Brain in a glass... he can't be talking about the Mother Brain, or he'd use the name... wouldn't he?"

It's generally regarded as a first-person adventure (basically a made-up genre, of course).

To me the PRIMARY objective of a FPS is to go around shooting stuff, which is not what this is about. Also, FPSes generally have a distinct style of control, wherein you use one stick to move and the other to look around... a control scheme which I DESPISE (and therefore, why I despise FPSes), and which is NOT part of Metroid Prime.

The point is... although at first blush it looks like a FPS, it does not PLAY like one at all, so I think it's a careless dismissal of a really cool adventure/puzzle game to lump it in with the interchangeable steaming pile of crap that is the FPS genre.

(Opinions, of course.)

Edited by Room 34

I think it's more of a First Person EXPLORATION game. Because that's the majority of the game.. i.e. exploring and finding items that gradually give you more abilities (as opposed to an FPS where your character is pretty much the same throughout and just changes weapons).

You don't really aim to shoot either.. you just hold the trigger and you're locked in.

Ok.. It's a First Person METROID. How's that? :) Think of Metroid and put yourself in that platformer in the first person. That's it..

Ok.. It's a First Person METROID. How's that? :) Think of Metroid and put yourself in that platformer in the first person. That's it..

930673[/snapback]

Precisely.

If you'd file the 2D Metroids as platform shooters, then feel free to call M' an FPS.