IGNORED

Mr. Driller

sigma

I'm not really sure I can explain why.

I CAN say that I enjoy the game, but find the early levels uncomfortably slow.

It's not really fun until the game turns the difficulty up a bit* and you're burrowing through the ground to stay ahead of the falling blocks as you make a mad dash for the next air capsule.

*(as far as I know, the 3 variables it adjusts are increasing block and air gauge speed, decreasing loose block "hang time", and adding more X blocks)

You tried turning the difficulty up? That (rather obviously) raises the starting difficulty and makes for a far more enjoyable game than the defaults.

Or just load up survival mode and select the "deepest" option, as the game cranks things up with depth as well and survival mode's deepest setting starts where the regular game ends.

Once you have a feel for the game, this is probably the most fun on the disk.

I don't get it. What's the appeal of these games? I find it to be boring and not that much challenging, and challenge is what I look for when I play puzzle games.

Could someone explain to me why it's so suposedly great before I completely give up on it?

929571[/snapback]

Dont feel bad! I picked up Mr driller for my DS and I didnt get it either. It just

wasnt fun (IMO). Sold it to some guy on EBay and he loves it, so I guess you either

love these games or dont. BTW did you know that Mr. Driller is technically a

sequel to Dig Dug?

I have racked the difficulty up. I can clear the story mode in Mr. Driller 2 (gba) real quick, and survival mode, I can play for as long as it takes me to get bored (which, admittedly, isn't that very long, but I have a high tolerance for boredom). Maybe it really is challenging, but I'm just really, really good? Who knows, it's possible, and I've had it happen before. I think I'll try a different version before I make a final verdict of the series.

I have racked the difficulty up. I can clear the story mode in Mr. Driller 2 (gba) real quick, and survival mode, I can play for as long as it takes me to get bored (which, admittedly, isn't that very long, but I have a high tolerance for boredom). Maybe it really is challenging, but I'm just really, really good? Who knows, it's possible, and I've had it happen before. I think I'll try a different version before I make a final verdict of the series.

929611[/snapback]

Maybe you're a Driller God. :)

I've only played the original, for what it's worth.

929611[/snapback]

Maybe you're a Driller God. :)

I've only played the original, for what it's worth.

929613[/snapback]

All bow down before me! I demand strict obediance!

...nah.

I have noticed that I'm not that good at racking up points, but surviving? Ha! I'll drill down to the center of the Earth before they get me! ...Anyway, I think I should focus more on the points. Who know, I might be able to squeeze some enjoyment out of this title yet!

I have noticed that I'm not that good at racking up points, but surviving? Ha! I'll drill down to the center of the Earth before they get me! ...Anyway, I think I should focus more on the points. Who know, I might be able to squeeze some enjoyment out of this title yet!

Ah yeah... the high-score table can always breathe some new life into a game.

That did not answer my question. All that was was a thread of people gushing about it. "Oh it's so good! So good!" is not a valid answer. You lose.

929603[/snapback]

Just trying to help out...

929620[/snapback]

Oh, don't mind me. I've been a real asshole today. Nothing personal.

They're adorable and loaded with personality. And that's, well, pretty much it. The gameplay is simplistic to the extreme, but at least Namco started adding some depth to the series in its later incarnations. Mr. Driller Drill Land on the Japanese Game Cube is really not bad at all... there are a lot of play modes, including The Hole of Druaga, which lets you use items and forces you to drill strategically to survive. You won't get far if you just tape down the D-pad and hammer away at the drill button (unlike all the other Mr. Driller games).

JR

The challenge I see is definitly from thinking fast. You need to grab the air supply consistenly in later levels or else you will die fast.

Also puzzle games that make my heart speed up when a block almost falls on me is a very good thing.

I was truly never addicted, but it was damn fun while it lasted.

Love Driller DS. One of the few games I've actually finished. (Unlocks a never ending "space" level if you're curious.)

I think the appeal is from combining game elements. You have to think fast and control nimbly like an arcade game. Because of the air factor you can't even afford to collect yourself in a safe spot for long. But this is added to a puzzler that I think is surprisingly complex. Also it appeals to my pattern matching instincts, since noticing patterns in the way blocks fall and fail to fall is the only way to play the game fast enough to win.

Plus I like the replay aspect of the abilities of the different characters (although I've only ever finished with the robot guy I've made it through all but the last level with all the other characters). And I like the wierd Japanesy conversations the characters have when they reach the bottom, that tend not to make any sense.

Eric

• 3 months later...