IGNORED

Where to buy carts in Los Angeles

nortonl

Can someone recommend a good place to buy Atari 2600 carts inexpensively in the Los Angeles area?  A video game store, a collectible place, a thrift store...I'm finding them on ebay but I'd prefer just to walk in somewhere and scoop up what I need all at once.  "TIA"

932824[/snapback]

Please define "the Los Angeles area".

I'm in eastern L.A. county near West Covina and there's a fleamarket near me open in the mornings 7 days a week (the Vineland Drive-In movie theater) that has something Atari 2600 (carts, consoles, controllers, boxed systems, storage units, etc.) about half the time. Not always at good prices, but it's there. Also there are a few pawn shops and a couple dozen thrift shops within about 15 miles where I usually find 1 or 2 things worth buying when I take a day or 3 and check them all. There's a thrift shop near me called Bargain Town that has about 5 or 6 dozen 2600 carts, all common and all marked 2.98 each (lots of carts for other systems too). Some days they are 50% off, and every Saturday from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. the whole store is 30% off. I've only found 2600 carts at one video game store, Cali Games (14401 Hawthorne Bl. at Rosecrans, Lawndale 90260, near Fwy 405) had about 10 commons left after I bought the only 3 scarce carts they had. Never seen any worth buying at collectibles shops. One pawn shop near me has 3 loose consoles priced at $100 each. :roll: I keep talking to the owner and he says he has several large bins of 2600 cartridges in his garage but I guess he wants his heirs to have them because he never brings them to the shop.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Is Game Dude still in business? They're in North Hollywood on Sherman Way(?) if I remember correctly. I think my 32X AC adaptor still has their foil sticker on it with their address if you need more detail than that. I used to live, like 2 miles from them in 2000. All Atari 2600 and 7800 games were $3. The punks there got a good chuckle out of the name "Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes" when I went to purchase it.

- Jason

Is Game Dude still in business? They're in North Hollywood on Sherman Way(?) if I remember correctly. I think my 32X AC adaptor still has their foil sticker on it with their address if you need more detail than that. I used to live, like 2 miles from them in 2000. All Atari 2600 and 7800 games were $3. The punks there got a good chuckle out of the name "Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes" when I went to purchase it.

- Jason

932929[/snapback]

very much so. they have a steady supply of $3 2600 games, pretty much all common. every now and then you can get lucky though, like when i found a silver gravitar and the black jack picture label there.

oh, and your package is going out today a.j. :)

Is Game Dude still in business?

932929[/snapback]

very much so. they have a steady supply of $3 2600 games, pretty much all common. every now and then you can get lucky though, like when i found a silver gravitar and the black jack picture label there.

932981[/snapback]

Or a CIB Atari Video Cube :cool:

I always liked going into Game Dude. I didn't feel like I was getting the stare-down like when I walk into a GameXchange around here. Plus, before I left, they started amassing a mini-Atari museum in one of their glass cases.

- Jason

A few weeks ago,  I found over 100 NIB Jungle Hunts at various 99 cent only stores in Los Angeles (city, San Fernado Valley and San Gabriel Valley).

Oh.... by the way, they each cost 99 cents!!!  ;)

932985[/snapback]

Are you talking about those Family Dollar type stores? If so, :o

Talk about a time warp. :grin:

You guys are lucky to have all them places selling carts.

Around here, it seems like it's bone dry. Oh, wait, how did that box next to me get so full of Atari games!? I must have been sleeping!

Really, though, here it's either gameXchange or nothing. I mean, there's like an ET at a thrift down the street, and a dozen commons at a local flea for $3 each (3x too much IMO).

I'm hoping to find more places that have 100 plus carts for sale--seems like every time I go into gameXchange, I get told "We had a bunch but some collector came in last week and bought 'em all up."

Lies. I bought all the good ones!