IGNORED

On the Go or Stay at Home?

Hiya. I'm sure this question has been asked before, but are there any dedicated portable gaming players out there? Those that do not own a home console and ONLY play their games "on the go"...

Some gamers just play portable games, and nothing else. Then there are those that have multiple systems, or just consoles. Please chime in and let me know where you do your gaming.

-Steve

I love portables i always have goign back to the game boy pocket and i pretty much play my DS everywhere. Right now i pull it out whenever i feel like some tactical gamming. I seem to have gotten sucked in the advanced wars and rebel star at the moment so has been hard to put the thing down.

But i do play my regular old consoles as well so i guess I'm not in the only portables catagory.

I'm not that big into consoles. I mainly use my PC and my various handheld systems for gaming. I don't travel much, and usually when I do I'm the one who is driving so I don't really do a lot of gaming "on the go." I mostly like to lie in bed or sit on the couch while my wife is watching TV and get some Burnout Legends or Lumines in.

I have a bunch of handheld systems (GBA SP, Game Gear, Lynx, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Wonderswan B&W/Color/SwanCrystal, Game.com [shudder], DS, and PSP), but my favorite all-around handheld system is the GBA. I love the games and I think the SP is about perfect (except now I have to buy a backlit model now that I've seen them). I bring it with me whenever I know I'm going to have to wait somewhere for a while, like when I take my car into the shop. Nothing beats a GBA SP with the Activision Anthology cartridge.

I tend now to play my portable alot more than I ever used to. I picked up Legend of Zelda classic series yesterday, and wow, what a wonderful trip down memory lane. I'm thinking to myself, "I don't remember it being THIS hard"..heh, need some practice on this baby. I'm still stuck at the first dungeon...I keep getting whacked by octorocks. And that damn lizard thing (Zoa?) in the water. Leevers, too.

Also picked up River City Ransom EX (which I've been looking for used for awhile now) and that game is addictive as hell. They've remain pretty faithful to the original, and made the graphics crisper. I'd forgotton how fun it is to do some of the special moves in the game, like Acrocircus.

Steve :D

I play both consoles and portables. However, until recently, I've kind of viewed handhelds as sort of being the neglected step-children of the consoles...delivering mostly paired down versions of console games and games for kids. Recently, my view has changed. My only portable is a GBA SP. It's great to play all the SNES games I missed (owned a Genesis only, way back when) like the Mario series, Zelda, Metroid, and DK Country series. I'm also beginning to realize how many great original games are showing up on the GBA only...like Advance Wars, Zelda: Minnish Cap, DK King of Swing, etc.

I'm really beginning to see that handhelds can be considered a viable and worthwhile platform in their own right. Can't wait to get my hands on one of the new backlit Sps.

I've got portables and consoles, and I favor consoles heavily. The only portable i've ever liked was my Atari Lynx. In my mind, everything else pales in comparison. Even the GBA SP was a disappointment for me compared to the Lynx. Sure, the games were more advanced and had cooler graphics capabilities, but that damn screen is so dim, it wasn't worth the eye strain. It now sits in a drawer, untouched for about a year now.

I get called crazy a lot for saying this but I consider the GBA the best system ever, just barely edging out the SNES

938494[/snapback]

You're crazy.

939433[/snapback]

Heh.. :thumbsup: I guess I'm crazy too. I really enjoy this little system....well, I suppose I'm going to have to purchase a gameboy player and nintendo gamecube to round out my collection...

Steve

This talk of handhelds has made be dig up my neo geo color, and i have been having a blast with the excellent sonic metal slug and pacman. I haven't had much of a chance to play the fighters again but I'm sure i will. I forgot how much i love the system, i need to find those card battler games.

In my prior post i said i play a lot of both but the more i think about it the more i realize for a very long time now all i have ben playing with any kind of regularity is my DS. This may change in a few months though, with some great looking console games coming out. I still need we love katamari.

Even so it's fair to say i play my handhelds a lot more. And soon i will be getting my hands on a game gear which is a whole new handheld to collect for and enjoy, i will most likely get a lynx too.

This talk of handhelds has made be dig up my neo geo color, and i have been having a blast with the excellent sonic metal slug and pacman.  I haven't had much of a chance to play the fighters again but I'm sure i will.  I forgot how much i love the system, i need to find those card battler games.

The NGPC rocks. Some very solid games on that system.

Even so it's fair to say i play my handhelds a lot more.  And soon i will be getting my hands on a game gear which is a whole new handheld to collect for and enjoy, i will most likely get a lynx too.

940565[/snapback]

The Lynx is an excellent system to collect for. I love my Lynx II.

It's worth it for the arcade ports alone, but there are some great original games as well.

Klax always looked like a really good game on the lynx among others like the arcade ports you spoke of.  Realy even if i only find a few games i enjoy at 20$ it isn't as if I'm out big money.

940654[/snapback]

You can get a lot of good Lynx games for very cheap. If you look on Ebay you can find them sold in lots. Some of the cheaper games (Rampart, Xybots, Hydra, Klax, Chip's Challenge, Steel Talons, Robo Squash, etc.) are actually very good.

I go through phases of playing GBA a lot. Haven't touched it in the last year though. Must admit, I do like the immersive quality of playing games in front of a big widescreen TV. No matter what Sony says, PSP still doesn't come close.

Dude, I do it all. Portables, home consoles... whatever's out there that interests me, I'll play it, regardless of the format.

Having said that, I've grown quite fond of portables lately, especially the PSP which has more than earned its keep as a handheld emulation station. The official games aren't bad, either (except Rengoku, which is REALLY bad).

JR