IGNORED

if these games were released today..

liquid_sky

I don't think any original Atari games would make it in today's market.

The old games were a different aesthetic in the same way as The Wizard of Oz or Casablanca.

If you released something verbatim the same as the originals, the critics would tear apart the graphics and sound and the minimalistic gameplay. Today's generation of gamers demand a certain level of VR immersion and the appearance of millions of dollars of production values.

Only within the context of the original platforms can you avoid such criticism.

Well, putting graphics aside - cause obviously they'd be better today - I reckon a fair amount of the 2600 library would make it as games today - at least in their ideas. They wouldn't sell much as, of course, most people are scared of originality and only play fps, driving games, sports games etc. but there'd definately be a market alongside the Parappa the Rappers of this world

I think Atari's Adventure would make a great mobile phone game.

I was thinking the same. I mean, do you really think anyone today would pay 30 dollars for megamania? No. Why? Because the masses desire games with so much depth that you need a 3 day primer before being able to play. I think a few games could make it, but they would have to be tweeked so much that only the programmers would be able to tell you its origin.

Odd ball games like Pressure Cooker and Plaque Attack would NEVER see the light of day.

Simple shooters like Megamania or Space Invaders would not make it either unless you were put inside the cockpit of the cannon and given 360 degree rotation with 6 different weapon upgrades and constantly evolvind targets.

Let's face it, a lot of the game market is based on looks and spectacle. We all know that enjoyability is just an after-thought at this poing

All though its true that a lot of the 2600 games from the past would not be good on todays market, I think that some of them could do well if they had todays graphics, sounds and music, but of course you would have to expand the game play a bit, games like Adventure, Pitfall, and some others could have made it.

>>

All though its true that a lot of the 2600 games from the past would not be good on todays market, I think that some of them could do well if they had todays graphics, sounds and music, but of course you would have to expand the game play a bit, games like Adventure, Pitfall, and some others could have made it.

<<

That's kind of like saying Archon is a remake of Chess. I don't think it's possible to change a classic game to be palatable to hardcore gamers of today without totally changing its gameplay to the point where it really isn't the same game anymore.

Like Kaboom would have all this backstory and cutscenes and other playmodes and powerups.

Classic games are all about minimalism and while there is a niche of games like the remade Frogger and such that could be considered modern extensions to classic games, the mainstream trend is towards added complexity and realistic simulation which runs counter to the style of most classic games.