IGNORED

Playing Atari on a flat TV screen

pumbaaj

Yup. There is a setting that displays 4:3 ratio on the screen (standard TV) so the image won't be streched out. 16:9 aspect ratio is the true dimentionof the screen, so you will have black bars on the sides of the screen.

If you have a problem with the bars (I don't know why you would, but some people are strange) you can watch it in 16:9 mode, but the image will be streched out horozontally. The image is never in HD, the 2600 doesnt produce an HD image.

I play on my Mitsubishi widescreen HDTV quite a lot :)

Edited by Lord Helmet

Yup. There is a setting that displays 4:3 ratio on the screen (standard TV) so the image won't be streched out. 16:9 aspect ratio is the true dimentionof the screen, so you will have black bars on the sides of the screen.

If you have a problem with the bars (I don't know why you would, but some people are strange) you can watch it in 16:9 mode, but the image will be streched out horozontally. The image is never in HD, the 2600 doesnt produce an HD image.

I play on my Mitsubishi widescreen HDTV quite a lot :)

943542[/snapback]

Interesting, I hadn't thought of playing my games in 4:3 ratio before. I always just played them with the 16:9 ratio as I don't mind the image being stretched out :) I have noticed on my HDTV that flicker is reduced in some games, which is nice at times. I wonder if that's true for most HDTVs :?

The image is never in HD, the 2600 doesnt produce an HD image.

943542[/snapback]

Are you sure??????

943869[/snapback]

What's there to be unsure about? The 2600 was never intended to be displayed on a 16:9 screen, and the only resolution it "supports" is 480i. No hi-def there.

Edited by skunkworx

What's there to be unsure about?  The 2600 was never intended to be displayed on a 16:9 screen, and the only resolution it "supports" is 480i.  No hi-def there.

943950[/snapback]

Not even the 2600jr?

943972[/snapback]

Nope. However, if you know the secret joystick combo, you can get the 2600jr to output the little-known (but still not hi-def) 480jr resolution.

I would warn those of you using older Plasma HDTVs to not leave the VCS on for too long if you aren't playing. They actually get burn in just like old TVs/computer moniters. When we started producing HDTV we had to do away with the station bugs in the corner of the screen because it was burning in to those early screens.

I might be going out on a limb here...but I think MaDDuck was joking

943969[/snapback]

Not a very long limb, I REALLY was kidding!!!

Sometimes companies CAN predict the future, I'm going S-VHS from my C64 into a TV and it looks GREAT!

But the odds of any HW developer having the forsight to include any way to un-interlace a picture in 1977, it just ain't happening!!

You watch some POS like the bally astrocade just might!!!!! :?

The image is never in HD, the 2600 doesnt produce an HD image.

943542[/snapback]

Are you sure??????

943869[/snapback]

What's there to be unsure about? The 2600 was never intended to be displayed on a 16:9 screen, and the only resolution it "supports" is 480i. No hi-def there.

943950[/snapback]

For the record picture structure, and aspect ratio are *NOT* connected!!! I've seen 4:3 progressive scan TV's and non progressive scan 16:9 ones.

For the record picture structure, and aspect ratio are *NOT* connected!!! I've seen 4:3 progressive scan TV's and non progressive scan 16:9 ones.

944012[/snapback]

They are not connected, but they both get subjected to the "hi-def" buzzword. And the Atari 2600 still doesn't have what it takes to satisfy either use of "hi-def."

I would warn those of you using older Plasma HDTVs to not leave the VCS on for too long if you aren't playing.  They actually get burn in just like old TVs/computer moniters.  When we started producing HDTV we had to do away with the station bugs in the corner of the screen because it was burning in to those early screens.

943991[/snapback]

So only play 2600 games that have screensavers on them.

I would warn those of you using older Plasma HDTVs to not leave the VCS on for too long if you aren't playing.  They actually get burn in just like old TVs/computer moniters.  When we started producing HDTV we had to do away with the station bugs in the corner of the screen because it was burning in to those early screens.

943991[/snapback]

So only play 2600 games that have screensavers on them.

944077[/snapback]

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting don't play on the plasma, just to use some caution.

943991[/snapback]

The stark color contrasts and low res large area graphics of the VCS (and other classic systems) will burn new plasmas as well if you're not careful. And it doesn't take that long at all.

943991[/snapback]

The stark color contrasts and low res large area graphics of the VCS (and other classic systems) will burn new plasmas as well if you're not careful. And it doesn't take that long at all.

944170[/snapback]

True but the newer ones seem to hold out better tha the older ones from what I've seen at work. They are different companies models though so that could be the difference.

943991[/snapback]

I just bought a new SONY WEGA HDTV LCD and I would love nothing better than to be able to play my 2600 games on it, but if there is even a chance it might hurt my new TV, I don't want to risk it.

:) :ponder: :!:

I just bought a new SONY WEGA HDTV LCD and I would love nothing better than to be able to play my 2600 games on it, but if there is even a chance it might hurt my new TV, I don't want to risk it.

:)  :ponder:  :!:

944569[/snapback]

Fear not, there isn't much you're going to harm an LCD with. They do not burn like plasmas can.

That being said I play games all the time on my Sony plasma set - you just have to be careful.

Oh - and the real, real biggie for plasmas: DO NOT play any video games or anything that has static images (or channel bugs) for the first 100 or so hours of a new units life. They are exceptionally prone to burning during this period.

True but the newer ones seem to hold out better tha  the older ones from what I've seen at work.  They are different companies models though so that could be the difference.

944500[/snapback]

You're right they have improved a whole bunch since the original units. But you can still ruin them in a very short period under the right circumstances.

My girlfriend for instance is not allowed to use my plasma set as she's entirely too careless to be trusted with it.

Nope.  However, if you know the secret joystick combo, you can get the 2600jr to output the little-known (but still not hi-def) 480jr resolution.

943974[/snapback]

Not sure why anyone would WANT to do this, but I'm curious: could a programmer get 480p resolution out of a 2600 (at the expense of half the horizontal resolution) by hitting the TIA RESET address every 39 cycles?