IGNORED

Should i sell my Xbox to get a Xbox 360?

gamer2

I have one controller and a few games

I have one Xbox

9 games

-Shenmue II

-Silent Hill 2

-Silent Hill 4

-Oddworld Muches Odyssey

-Splinter Cell

-Fable

-Evil Dead fist full of Boomstick

-Halo

-Breakdown

one controller and it is a big birtha

one DVD playback kit

how much do you think it will go for it is not modded, smoke free home, lense cleaned after 30hr of play

Edited by gamer2

You won't cover the cost of even the 360 by itself with that package (not even the cheap version).

I'd keep your Xbox and wait until there's actually something on the 360 worth playing. And the price comes down a little bit.

I'm in no hurry to get an Xbox 360; it's the least interesting of all the upcoming consoles IMO. I don't really know what it is people are running out to buy on day one. Is there a game you just absolutely have to have that's launching along with the 360? Something better than the 9 games you already have for your original Xbox?

Yeah, hang onto your Xbox for now. The 360 is next-gen that's going to be closest to the previous generation. They're winning the launch date battle, but I think the 360 will have some revisions by the time PS3 etc hit the scene. I'd be very selective about game until then.

That mecha game, Chrome Hounds, looks absolutely wicked, though!

If you have to ask, you should keep the old system. Your games aren't worth much, maybe $10 each. A new XBOX is $150 so you would have to heavily discount yours to get anyone to buy it.

If you don't have enough money to just buy one outright without selling an old system for pennies on the dollar, you're not going to be able to buy many new games. You'd probably be happiest buying proven fun older games for the old XBOX instead of the shiny new stuff for $60 a pop.

Don't believe the hype. There's nothing that the XBOX 360 will be able to do in 2005 for $400+ that the XBOX, Cube or PS2 can't do right now for significantly less.

Except maybe the ElderScrolls game that RT covets so badly ... it looks neat, but is it worth $500? For that kind of money, I'd rather play

Shadow of the Colossus

We Luv Katamari

Need for Speed Most Wanted

L.A. Rush

Midway Arcade Treasures 3

Star Wars Battlefront II

Soul Calibur III

buying them all new ... after which I'd still have enough cash left over to buy a Game Boy Advance and a mess of games. And an Atari Flashback 2.0 or two.

I'll add my "keep it" vote. The system's still plenty viable in it's current state, has lots of games that you could still purchase and enjoy for years to come while you're waiting for the 360 to come down in price. I plan on purchasing a current-gen console, hopefully by the end of the year (haven't decided on which one yet, but hell, got plenty of time to decide).

As far as modding goes........not sure about that stuff. Never done it, haven't really thought about it much. I'm for pure gaming without modding a system, but that's just me (and my lack of experience on the subject shows..lol)..

Steve

I can't believe all of the bashing of the 360. It easily looks to be the most exciting of the generation, what with Arcade and all.

Microsoft Unveils New Market for Bite-Sized Game Titles as Industry Heavyweights Pledge Support for Xbox Live Arcade on Xbox 360

Microsoft Corporate Vice President Peter Moore to Reveal Highly-Anticipated Christmas Holiday Titles and Supporting Publishers to Digital Life Consumer Technology Audience

New York, 14 October, 2005 At the Digital Life consumer technology showcase in New York, Microsoft will reveal the launch window portfolio for Xbox Live® Arcade for Xbox 360™.

Peter Moore, corporate vice president of worldwide marketing and publishing for Xbox at Microsoft, will announce in his Digital Life keynote speech the highly-anticipated Xbox Live Arcade launch titles, as well as Xbox Live Arcade support by the world’s leading publishers including Midway Home Entertainment, Capcom, Electronic Arts, Vivendi Universal Games, Konami, SEGA, Namco and Hudson Soft.

“The next generation of Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 will enhance the gaming experience for casual and competitive gamers alike, across the globe, providing something for everyone with world-class games and captivating content,” said Moore.

Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 will launch in the U.S. and Canada on November 22, 2005, simultaneously with the North American launch of the Xbox 360 console. Similarly, the European and Japanese versions of Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 will launch alongside the European and Japanese console launches on 2 December and 10 December, respectively. The next-generation Xbox Live Arcade online service will be fully integrated into the Xbox 360 Dashboard providing a central destination for Xbox 360 gamers to download new games, access their game collections, check out new releases and experience around-the-game features.

The Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 launch portfolio will include the following titles through the Christmas holiday season 2005:

* Astropop – Popcap Games

* Bankshot Billiards 2™ – pixelStorm, Inc

* Bejeweled 2 – Popcap Games

* Crystal Quest – Stainless Games

* Feeding Frenzy – Popcap Games

* Gauntlet – Midway Home Entertainment

* Geometry Wars 2 – Bizarre Creations

* Hardwood Backgammon – Silver Creek Entertainment

* Hardwood Hearts – Silver Creek Entertainment

* Hardwood Spades – Silver Creek Entertainment

* Hexic® HD – Microsoft Game Studios

* Hoopworld – Streamline Studios

* Jewel Quest – iWin.com

* Joust – Midway Home Entertainment

* Marble Blast Ultra – GarageGames

* Mutant Storm Reloaded – PomPom Games

* Outpost Kaloki – Wahoo Studios

* Robotron 2084 – Midway Home Entertainment

* SmashTV – Midway Home Entertainment

* Wik: Fable of Souls – Reflexive Entertainment

* Zuma – Popcap Games

As an added bonus, the full version of “Hexic HD,” the Xbox Live Arcade puzzle game, will be included free of charge with every Xbox 360 System at launch. Designed by world famous Tetris® creator Alexey Pajitnov, “Hexic HD” will be preloaded on the Xbox 360 hard drive.

Additionally, Peter Moore will announce that more than 40 publishers and developers have signed on to support Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 with game titles. These partners include:

· Atari

· Bizarre Creations

· Capcom

· Codemasters

· CTXM

· Digital Eclipse

· Electronic Arts

· Empire Interactive

· Gaia Studios

· GameHouse Studios

· Garage Games

· Gastronaut Studios

· Hamster

· Harmonix

· HipSoft

· Hudson Soft

· iWin

· Konami

· Llamasoft

· Load, Inc

· Mad Doc Software

· Majesco

· Microsoft Game Studios

· Midway Home Entertainment

· Mumbo Jumbo (United Developers)

· Naked Sky Entertainment

· Namco

· Oberon Media

· Pick Up And Play

· pixelStorm, Inc

· PlayFirst

· PomPom Games

· Popcap Games

· Q Entertainment

· RealNetworks, Inc

· Reflexive Entertainment

· Secret Lair Studios

· SEGA

· Silver Creek Entertainment

· SNK Playmore

· Stainless Games

· Streamline Studios

· Tik Games

· Ubisoft

· uWink

· Vivendi Universal Games

· Wahoo Studios

· Wanako Games

· Wild Tangent

Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 will consistently release new games to the service for gamers to download, with 35 titles planned by summer 2006. Gamers can choose from a variety of genres including action arcade titles, coin-op and retro classics, puzzle games, casual sports games, light strategy titles and card & board games. Games will come from the world’s leading publishers as well as console developers, downloadable game shops and smaller developers alike, creating a great mix of classic favorites and truly innovative titles for the gamer to choose from.

“We’re proud to be part of Xbox Live Arcade on Xbox 360, the world’s first and only destination where gamers can find, download and buy smaller games directly to their console,” said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. “Retro, casual and hardcore gamers will be pleased to have access to the selection of quality SEGA titles we plan to offer via the new Xbox Live Arcade.”

Xbox Live Arcade is powered by Xbox Live Marketplace, enabling gamers to quickly and easily download and unlock Xbox Live Arcade games. Every game in the Xbox Live Arcade will have a free, fully playable trial version that any Xbox Live Gold or Silver member can download onto their hard drive or memory unit.

Note: Earlier this week (11 October 2005), Microsoft and RealNetworks, Inc. announced plans to collaborate in the casual games arena. In this games partnership, RealNetworks will develop a series of new casual games for Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360.

No bashing, I'm sure the 360 will grow into a superb gaming platform, but the fact remains that it takes new consoles a good year or two before anyone has had time to develop anything that (a) really harnesses the power of the machine and (b) make anything with any depth.

All you're going to see for the first year is graphically boosted versions of games that were, at the start of development, probably headed for the original Xbox.

Oh, but Arcade is crap. Those games are way overpriced.

No bashing, I'm sure the 360 will grow into a superb gaming platform, but the fact remains that it takes new consoles a good year or two before anyone has had time to develop anything that (a) really harnesses the power of the machine and (b) make anything with any depth.

I'm afraid to mention this, considering the other thread but ...

This is an area where Nintendo have shown some genius ... allowing the GBA to run GBC games, and later allowing the DS to run GBA whilst not overburdening the console with the (by now) outdated GBC compatibility issue.

Backward compatibility is always something useful to have while you're waiting for developers to catch up with the hardware. Looks like M$ may have dropped the ball slightly as it won't be backwardly compatible with the Xbox. So that issue alone makes it worth waiting.

Should i sell my Xbox to get a Xbox 360?

You are asking the wrong group. Many people here are game collectors. I don't think you'll get a lot of support on your idea.

If you are not into collecting, I say go for it. Sell it! Better do it on ebay where you will get more money for your stuff. Sell it soon before M$ drops the price of the 180. Besides, if you want to keep a game that's what backwards compatibility is for.

If you like collecting old consoles, then that's another story. I have read many times here collectors who sell consoles just to regret it (and buy the stuff again). There is no right or wrong here. Good luck!

I went through this with Nintendo 64. I sold half my games to help pay for my first Dreamcast.

I rebuilt the small collection (around 15 carts), but I'm still short two stock pads and an Arcade Shark (which I would really love for KI Gold).

Selling a system to pay for something new is not the way to go. I can't explain it, but each one just gets a soft spot somewhere inside.

Even selling it to pay for something that's backward compatible isn't always good. I've got two backward compatible systems that will not play all the older games 100% faithfully to the original system (Mountain King, Gran Turismo 1 and 2, wipEout, and wipEout XL are the games).

Keep your Xbox, and save a few dollars a month for the 360. Pawnbrokers will be looking for them soon, and their resale prices will be somewhat lower than retail.

Also check local flea markets and second hand game shops within a couple months of the 360 release.