IGNORED

Ideas for a better Donkey Kong port - ColecoVision

opcode

I am throwing away the bottom-most  monkey when the game needs to display 6 monkeys (150m).

954061[/snapback]

Why not drop out 1/6 of the scan lines from the middle four monkies and 1/3 of the scan lines from the bottom monkey? Monkeys are heavy, after all. :) That should make room for another monkey at the top.

What does the NES version do? I've never played it long enough to find out.

954598[/snapback]

I just played the NES version...it doesn't have the "How High?" intermission screens.

Also...using NE146's numbering, the NES version goes

1-3-4

1-3-4

1-3-4

etc.

At least, it does as far as I've played.

EDIT: Just spent some time with the 7800 Donkey Kong and it does the same: no stacked monkey intermissions, levels always follow the 1-3-4 pattern.

Edited by vdub_bobby

I would love to see a DK port of all three in one. I would also love to see an editor of some sort with all news screens.

Is there a way to implement a feature like "Wrecking Crew" or "Mach Rider" or "Excitebike" for the NES where a user can design their own level right from the game and play it, just not be able to save it?! That would be really cool.

• 1 month later...
Here's an article regarding ways to improve graphics on old hardware. One of the examples is, guess what, Donkey Kong on Colecovision ;)

http://www.siggraph.org/publications/newsl.../molyneaux.html

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad someone else feels my pain, having myself quickly learned those limitations over the past couple of weeks. It would seem that the Colecovision's strength (the TMS9918) is also its weakness (15 color palette with no brown or dark gray, two colors per 8-pixel slice, one color per sprite, four sprites per scanline).

Wow, this thread is old! Did opcode ever finish this DK game he was working on? If not, I'd like to contribute my own ideas:

1) In building new levels, take some elements from Mario Bros (turtles, crabs, fireballs, coins for bonus points, pipes, blocks that can be knocked from under, POW blocks that can stun enemies (including Donkey Kong). Those elements could enhance the DK experience in a fun way.

2) Have at least one level with water in it. Running and jumping physics could be altered, and there could be a time limit to how long Mario can stay underwater. Some water-based critters could be added.

3) There could be a two-player version of the game where player 1 plays as Mario, and player 2 plays as Luigi. The levels would be specifically designed to either encourage competition or cooperation. Designing such levels could be quite a challenge, however...

4) For a really advanced remake of this game, how about mixing DK and DKjr together? Once you finish the rivet level and defeat DK, the game then switches to DKjr mode, and once Junior frees his dad in the keychain level, DK kidnaps Pauline again and it all starts over with Mario from the first DK level. Intermissions would add extra polish to the finished product.

5) I haven't tried the Champ Kong games, but from the screenshots I've seen on the net, it seems like a good idea to include the extra levels.

I'll admit all those ideas are overly ambitious for the CV... Seems like they could only be done on opcode's SEM... ;)

• 1 month later...
Here's an article regarding ways to improve graphics on old hardware. One of the examples is, guess what, Donkey Kong on Colecovision ;)

http://www.siggraph.org/publications/newsl.../molyneaux.html

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad someone else feels my pain, having myself quickly learned those limitations over the past couple of weeks. It would seem that the Colecovision's strength (the TMS9918) is also its weakness (15 color palette with no brown or dark gray, two colors per 8-pixel slice, one color per sprite, four sprites per scanline).

978380[/snapback]

Agreed; thanks for posting that article; a fun read. :)

The CV really has a total palette of 15 colors? I thought the NES was bad with 52...

The CV really has a total palette of 15 colors?  I thought the NES was bad with 52...

996931[/snapback]

The Commodore 64 only has 16 colors. Sometimes it's not the number of colors, it's what you can do with them.

996968[/snapback]

Actually the CV has 16 as well. TI counts the 16th color(transparent) as a color. I think it's the same with C64. It's wasn't really a big limitation at the time (1982). Look at the specs of arcade games ported to CV: Cosmic Avenger(Universal), Defender(WMS), Frogger, Venture/Frenzy(Exidy). The arcade hardware then usually had very few colors(16) to work with as well.

The CV really has a total palette of 15 colors?  I thought the NES was bad with 52...

996931[/snapback]

The Commodore 64 only has 16 colors. Sometimes it's not the number of colors, it's what you can do with them.

996968[/snapback]

Actually the CV has 16 as well. TI counts the 16th color(transparent) as a color. I think it's the same with C64. It's wasn't really a big limitation at the time (1982). Look at the specs of arcade games ported to CV: Cosmic Avenger(Universal), Defender(WMS), Frogger, Venture/Frenzy(Exidy). The arcade hardware then usually had very few colors(16) to work with as well.

997009[/snapback]

The C64 also has a palette of 16 colors?!

Now I'm starting to wonder why the 2600 had 128. ??

Hi there!

You didn't know that?  :ponder:

Hm... don't think so. Weird thought actually: If Atari had someone that talented on board, why let him create custom chips for the Amiga and build their own 16-Bit computer with of the shelves parts?!?

Pretty ironic though that they'd get him "back" with the Lynx, no? :twisted:

Greetings,

Manuel

Actually the CV has 16 as well. TI counts the 16th color(transparent) as a color. I think it's the same with C64.

997009[/snapback]

No, there are 16 actual colors in the C-64's palette. Each sprite then has a "sub-palette" of four colors (or two colors for the double-hi-res sprites). Three (or one) of those colors are selected from the main 16-color palette. The fourth (or second) is the "transparent" color.

Weird thought actually: If Atari had someone that talented on board, why let him create custom chips for the Amiga and build their own 16-Bit computer with of the shelves parts?!?

997040[/snapback]

I believe the story goes that some Atari engineer jumped ship to Commodore, taking plans with him that were to be used in making the Atari ST. Those plans went into the Amiga instead, forcing Atari to redesign the ST. Perhaps that engineer was Miner. I'm sure a search of the forums or Google will confirm or deny, but I'm lazy.

Hi there!

I believe the story goes that some Atari engineer jumped ship to Commodore, taking plans with him that were to be used in making the Atari ST.  Those plans went into the Amiga instead, forcing Atari to redesign the ST.  Perhaps that engineer was Miner.  I'm sure a search of the forums or Google will confirm or deny, but I'm lazy.

Oha. And when this wasn't enough to ruin Atari, Commodore next sent Tramiel? :lol:

Greetings,

Manuel

Now I'm starting to wonder why the 2600 had 128.  ??

997024[/snapback]

Two words: Jay Miner.

997027[/snapback]

Well, sure, if you have talented folks you can do a lot. My question is: Why? Why did he design the TIA for 128 colors and/or why did Atari ask him to, if most arcade games used fewer or were B&W?

Edited by vdub_bobby

Hi there!

Well, sure, if you have talented folks you can do a lot.  My question is: Why?  Why did he design the TIA for 128 colors and/or why did Atari ask him to, if most arcade games used fewer or were B&W?

Well, I'd think that "many" colors probably was pretty easy to put in a chip.

I could imagine though that for a computer like the C64 with its charmodes it'd create all sorts of "palette" management issues.

Greetings,

Manuel