IGNORED

Which Classic Video Game System Sucks the Most

gamesnat

We always discuss which video game systems are our favs, but we never touch on which VGS is your least favorite and why?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. We always discuss which video game systems are our favs, but we never touch on which VGS is your least favorite and why?

• Atari 2600
    • Atari 5200
    • Atari 7800
    • Arcadia 2001
    • Channel F
    • ColecoVision
    • Intellivision
    • Nintendo (NES)
    • Odyssey 2
    • RCA Studio 2
    • Sega Master System
    • TurboGrafx 16
    • Vectrex
    • Bally Astrocade
    • Sega Genesis
    • Super Nintendo
    • Virtual Boy
    • Commodore 64
    • TI-994A
    • Atari Lynx

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I voted for Intellivision to get back at George Plimpton and also this guy (a self proclaimed Intellivision Bigot---I guess they're still around!!):

quote:

"Well, I probably wouldn't have any Atari VCS (that's still how I think of it) games if not for my wife."

"Of course, there's also the System Changer for the Intellivision, which is another reason to get Atari games (albeit a weak one). "

http://intvfunhouse.com/atari2600/

Yes, I know an emotional vote, and especially because I am really fond of Intellivision....but.....

Edited by Recycled

My vote is based on my impressions from the first time I bought each of the systems way back when. I had the Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Commodore 64. I based my vote on Expectations vs Reality.

I'm probably the only one who picked the ColecoVision as the worst, but I remember how excited I was as I saved up the money to buy one. I even sold my Atari 2600 and all my games to my sister.

Donkey Kong was really cool for a few days and then the reality began to set in. I found most of the games to be less fun and engaging than the Atari games that I had gotten rid of, the controllers sucked, and most of the add ons were very high priced. Within 3 months, I had saved up again and bought my Atari back from my sister. I kept the ColecoVision for a while but found that I played the Atari much more often.

All the other systems I've had before and since more than lived up to the expectations I had when I got them.

:)

Among my favorite Atari 2600 games are Star Ship and Pac-Man. I really dig the Atari 5200's joysticks. I love the O2 and also the Channel F, since I finally got a working Channel F II -yay!- and I am playing a lot of Pinball Challenge lately and kicking my roommate's ass at Space War.

I think it's fair to say I have a tendency to stick up for underdogs (and not just in video games), but...

...the RCA Studio II is a pretty tough system to love. I used to have an emulator for it, and take it from me if from nowhere else: the games just aren't fun. At all. I can tolerate the graphics, but there is simply no gameplay to be found.

The one cool thing was that the guy who wrote the emulator also made a couple homebrews: Space Invaders, which, remarkably, was mildly entertaining, and Combat, which, even more remarkably, had something like 256 game variations (not bad for a 1K rom).

The RCA Studio II is a neat novelty, but when even the Channel F blows it away, something is definately wrong. I vote for the Studio II.

My vote is based on my impressions from the first time I bought each of the

Donkey Kong was really cool for a few days and then the reality began to set in.  I found most of the games to be less fun and engaging than the Atari games that I had gotten rid of, the controllers sucked, and most of the add ons were very high priced.  Within 3 months, I had saved up again and bought my Atari back from my sister.  I kept the ColecoVision for a while but found that I played the Atari much more often. 

952280[/snapback]

I still find it amazing that I play my 2600 everyday and my Colecovision and PS2 only sparingly.

...the RCA Studio II is a pretty tough system to love. I used to have an emulator for it, and take it from me if from nowhere else: the games just aren't fun. At all. I can tolerate the graphics, but there is simply no gameplay to be found.

952317[/snapback]

Out of curiosity, what exactly are the rules used to animate the animating doodle thingie. I remember one of my sister's friends had one of those things once upon a time. If you drew a horizontal or vertical line segment and hit animate, it would just shoot to the edge of the screen and wrap; if you started a diagonal line it would wrap at the edges of the screen but do so in such a way as to fill and erase nearly the entire screen. Do you know what the exact animation procedure was?

I voted 5200. Here, the story behind the vote.

My family owned a 2600. We still have the 100+ cartridges for it. so I have my most experience with it.

I played the Intellivision at a neighbor's house and the Odyssey2 at my uncle's house, and liked them.

I've personally owned the SNES and Genesis, and I like them too.

And our PC was a C-64; loved that one too.

Incidentally, I played the Vetrex at Service Merchandise and like that one too. I hope no one voted for it, if it's an option. That would be just wrong.

So, in voting for one in which I had no experience, I went back to my childhood days. Back when the 2600 was looking old and dated with its graphics...my family was wondering which new system to get. It was down to 3 choices: the 5200, the 7800, and the Colecovision.

I wanted the Colecovision for all the games I had never seen before on it...in particular Pepper II. But that one was too expensive, so no go.

What settled the least favorite in my mind was the fact that the 2600-game adapter for the 5200 was not distributed locally. We had 100+ games--and Atari expected us to just junk those games for a limited library of games, all of which also appeared on the 2600?!

Don't think so!

For me, the ability to 'port old games onto new systems is a big plus. I shouldn't have to buy a new system as well as keep the old system around if I want to play both the new and the old games from one company. If a company manufacturer doesn't want its systems to be compatible, they should adapt (or put up the money for adapting) older games to the newer system, in my view.

sheesh, the videogame industry may be progressively transient, but it doesn't have to be that progressively transient.

Edited by JimmydelaKopin

952317[/snapback]

Out of curiosity, what exactly are the rules used to animate the animating doodle thingie. I remember one of my sister's friends had one of those things once upon a time. If you drew a horizontal or vertical line segment and hit animate, it would just shoot to the edge of the screen and wrap; if you started a diagonal line it would wrap at the edges of the screen but do so in such a way as to fill and erase nearly the entire screen. Do you know what the exact animation procedure was?

952350[/snapback]

*Shrugs* :)

Atari expected us to just junk those games for a limited library of games, all of which also appeared on the 2600?!

This may sound stupid but why junk the system at all, can't you own two systems?

952493[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking.

I've got a dozen systems out and ready for use on a moment's notice, with another 2 or 3 easily accessed. I've never understood the single-system mentality.

I really cant vote. I just like videogames. And every system has + and -, but i just can't choose. There are a lot of systems i don't own that are on the list, but since i never played on them i can't say if i like em or not. The only system i can think of that has a chance that i would vote for, has to be the original gameboy. Not for it's games, because they are great, but because of the very bad display. U need a lot of light to play on it.

Out of the ones I've played on that list, my least liked ones are probably Virtual Boy and Arcadia 2001.

They're both good systems, though. I was a little disappointed by the all red display of the Virtual Boy, and it was wierd having to use it at a table.

I have much more experience with the Arcadia 2001. The controllers, while a bit more comfy than the Intellivision's, were simply horrendous.

These things make stock 5200 sticks look like golden Wicos. Most of the time, the programmers compensated for poor controller design by letting you use the keypad for basic stuff like launching missiles.

The controllers did tend to break, and on top of that, they were wired directly into the system.

Busted hardwired controllers = bad juju.

The whole select/option thing was confusing, too. Each game had a number of selections, plus several option sets (much like VCS Maze Craze), and it just got too confusing.

Then there were the sounds that thing made. Emerson's little system was what spurred the invention of double hearing protection.

I could go on and on, but there were addictive titles like Cat Trax, Escape, Star Chess (one of the best spin offs of chess there is), and Tanks a Lot, but then they dragged them down with their sports titles, Space Attack (very different from Mattel's game), and Alien Invaders.

The hardware itself is a mixed bag.

Then again, it's really a question of what system did I not have any gripes with.

Let's see...Atari 2600 and Gameboy Classic.

• 7 years later...

Jag's not on there. I think it sucks the most.

It had a few fair games and could have been considered 'okay' hardware, so it isn't the worst there. It is 'the rest' of jag that kills it for me. Really the very 'attitude' surrounding that turd is the worst. Both the attitude in the ads back then and the attitude in the fanbase since. (I notice that it's the exact same attitude too) Jaguar is a rotten thing to be around, so I don't.

And yes, I realize that by even mentioning the system in a less than fully positive manner, I risk alerting the "community" to come in here and make my day just that much more special. That would be just fantastic.

Jag is a whole lot of drama with no real payoff. At least a lot of other bad systems on that list slipped into obscurity quietly. Nothing is quiet about Jaguar.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Emerson Arcadia 2001 and RCA Studio II have to be the worst. Every other console on that list have some good games to them and are more enjoyable (though I never heard of TI-994A).

Can't believe some people, though not many, have voted for SNES, NES, Genesis and Atari 2600. Those four systems are easily in my top 5 list of the greatest video game consoles of all time, and I doubt I'm alone on that. But hey, opinions are opinions.

Edited by pixelated