IGNORED

Finally got my flashback 2.0

Well i finally got my Flashback 2.0. I have mixed feelings about it. My biggest problem with it is the cables. They are way too short. the cable isnt too short for the AV ,but the controllers as well as AC adapter cables are too short. i go to sit on my couch which is only 6 feet away from my entertainment center ,and i end up draggin the flashback out of the entertainment center which in turn jerks the AC cable out the back. So im forced to uncomfortably sit on the floor to play. The instruction booklet seems very vague on things. Such as i can't figure out how to enable 2 players in Centipede. Some of the games i have trouble even understanding what to do which in turn leads me to only really enjoying a few games. Some of the games selected i could of done without ,and had something better in there place. So far my favorites are Pitfall!, River Raid, Save Mary, Fatal Run ,Centipede,Battlezone,Millipede, and etc. And, what is the point of frog pond lol. It seems like it goes on forever without any real point. I would of really liked to see HERO, Tempest, Pitfall 2, Defender ,and some others included. Well thats just my two cents after playing it.

well according to the instruction manual Centipede is a 2 player game. The other night i sat ,and played Asteroids forever i got my score up above a 100,000 ,and the counter reset itself lol.

Yeah Frog Pond seems like something just to occupy a kid for a few moments. One of them games on there i could of did without. Its a shame we didnt get more Activision lisecened games on there like HERO. Secret Quest reminds me of a very primitive Zelda.

yeah i had the UFO's appearing. I was driving my fiance nuts when the one comes out sounding like a ringing phone. if u set a difficulty setting in one game does it carry over to the other games as well? ,and is there a way to reset the difficulty

Frog Pond does get more challenging as it goes on. New bugs show up and it gets tricky to catch them. Xot was working to get over a grand before nightfall (can't recall if he got it or not, I think he did).

If you want more acti-games, do the hack for a cartridge port :) You can have them all (although I don't know if Pitfall 2 would work).

I think the FB2 is outstanding. The cords on the controllers are about the same as the originals. That makes sense because so much of the gaming on that system requires interacting with the console. My Gamecube sits like 15 feet away and it doesn't matter (wavebirds do almost everything). The Atari however sits on my coffee table in front of the couch. I think they did very well to blend retro gamers and new markets into one product.

Cassidy

Cassidy

They are way too short. the cable isnt too short for the AV ,but the controllers as well as AC adapter cables are too short. i go to sit on my couch which is only 6 feet away from my entertainment center ,and i end up draggin the flashback out of the entertainment center which in turn jerks the AC cable out the back.

956942[/snapback]

Extension cord

RCA extension cable

Genesis controller extension cables.

None of this stuff is custom.

yeah i had the UFO's appearing. I was driving my fiance nuts when the one comes out sounding like a ringing phone. if u set a difficulty setting in one game does it carry over to the other games as well? ,and is there a way to reset the difficulty

959073[/snapback]

While it's not very obvious from the way the Flashback 2 is designed, the difficulty switches are A/B switches (or "on/off" or "dip" switches, whatever you want to call them). So yes, you could say that changing the difficulty setting in one game will carry that setting over to other games. To reset the difficulty, just hit the button again.

You can even change the difficulty setting in the middle of a game. Amaze your friends by making the UFO disappear into thin air.. I mean, the thin vacuum of space!

Edited for spelling.

Edited by skunkworx

I've been testing my 2.0 with various third-party joysticks, and haven't noticed any fitting problems whatsoever to this point. For the record, CV Super Action Joysticks work very nicely with my console, but my standard CV controllers -- for some reason that I haven't yet fathomed -- do not.

Has anyone in the Chicago (or Illinois) area gotten a FB2? So far, I've had no luck in finding one at any of the major retailers...if anyone has run across one I'd appreciate any info on where to get one...thanks!

962288[/snapback]

Northwest Indiana, specifically Valparaiso, has them in Target and Super Wal-Mart.

Signed,

Rick Vendl II

Back to Zoop's original complaints:

Well, yeah, the cords on the joysticks are probably too short... but they're the same length as the ones on the original Atari 2600. Back then the console generally would sit on the coffee table, rather than in an entertainment center (which didn't really exist back then), or else everything (including the players) would just sit on the floor. Of course, the RCA cable and power cord on the old 2600 were each about 8 miles long, which made this all possible. So it is kind of an issue, but as others have noted, extensions are readily available for all. (And don't complain about having to buy extra stuff... you got the FB2 for only $30!)

As for the instructions... yeah, they're pretty brief, too brief, but again, what can you expect? The instruction manuals for all of the old games are on this site anyway, so if you need the full details, just come here.

That said, I do think a few things were not very well thought out. The difficulty switches are a pain, because it's pretty hard to tell whether they're in the "down" or "up" position, and there's no indication of which of those positions is "A" and which is "B". Then there's everyone's complaint about having to power off to select a different game. I think they should have just been toggle switches on the back, like the Color/BW switch.

As far as the games go, the new ones also did seem kind of rushed to me. As much as I think Adventure II is cool, it does have a few quirks that really bother me, such as the fact that there are mazes with walls the same color as some of the keys, so if you drop the key over a wall, it becomes completely invisible. You have NO idea where it is if you're not careful and leave the room... you have to go find the magnet and then hunt for a room with flicker. Then of course there are the severe video problems with Yars' Return and several of the others.

I could go on, but I don't want to rip on it too much. I do think it's really cool, and it's light years beyond the original Flashback. I just wish they'd have thrown in some more of the original old Atari properties (stuff we KNOW they have the rights to, because they were on the original FB) instead of the rush-job new games. I don't think anyone would have complained because there was too much overlap in the game list between the two units. The original FB doesn't even count!

(Oh, how I'd love for this to have Solaris, Circus Atari, Gravitar, etc.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention my biggest problem... one of my FB2's (yes, I have 2 of them) has a flaky audio cable. Half the time there's no sound or very weak sound. If I jiggle the cord at the base I can hear scratching and clear it up... but it's disappointing that it was like this right out of the box. (I know, I should have returned it, but I bought it in Chicago and I didn't realize the problem until I was back home.)

Edited by Room 34

Has anyone in the Chicago (or Illinois) area gotten a FB2? So far, I've had no luck in finding one at any of the major retailers...if anyone has run across one I'd appreciate any info on where to get one...thanks!

962288[/snapback]

As obliquely referenced in my last post above, I bought an FB2 in the Chicago area last week. Technically it was in Elgin (which, I'm sure, those of you in Chicago will say is NOT Chicago, but it's close enough when you live out of state), at Target, so they're out there.

962288[/snapback]

As obliquely referenced in my last post above, I bought an FB2 in the Chicago area last week. Technically it was in Elgin (which, I'm sure, those of you in Chicago will say is NOT Chicago, but it's close enough when you live out of state), at Target, so they're out there.

962347[/snapback]

Thanks for the replies! I've pretty much given up on even finding one...I've been looking since the Rev. As started appearing at WalMart a few months ago...the wife was goling to get it for me for our anniversary (back at the end of July) and she's still looking :)

I'm wasn't thinking perverted, just very poor grammar, kinda like some work faxes I've gotten from Asia :)

961293[/snapback]

No, from Asia, they look like this:

ohsoitjustgoeson,andoffitdoesgolikeuptolikeeasynormalhardveryhardtypethingitsjustnormalwhichisoffthenhardwhichison :rolling: