IGNORED

FB2 Alternate Solder Points?

I was attempting the cart port mod on my FB2 today and my mediocre solder skills and total lack of proper equipment got me into trouble. The solder point for wire 4 for the cartridge port is completely black. Solder won't stick, I may have pulled it up with the wire that came loose. Is there another point on the board where I can pick up this signal? Or is this going to be my "built-in games only" flashback?

Thanks,

Greg

Okay, to rephrase my question, where else on the board can you pick up this signal? I don't suppose there's a schematic online?

972026[/snapback]

Okay, to rephrase my answer, why don't you look at the board, and follow the little metal line that goes to the original solder point until you find another suitable place to solder your wire?

Electricity flows through conductors. Metals are conductors.

Okay, to rephrase my question, where else on the board can you pick up this signal? I don't suppose there's a schematic online?

-Greg

972026[/snapback]

There is no schematic online, and I doubt that Atari (or its employees) are going to post one, especially not while the FB2 is still being produced.

The best thing to do is try to follow the trace yourself. I initially messed up on soldering mine (in two places), but I followed the traces and found other suitable solder spots.

If the trace goes nowhere useful, you might be able to scrape the trace until you expose the copper and solder directly to that. I've done this before and it works, though it's not particularly easy.

One other alternative is a little more time/effort, but worth it for the "soldering challenged"

Purchase a 1/32 hobbyist drill bit (you'll need to go a model shop for these, Home Depot/Lowes don't stock them) or purchase online from places like MicroMark.

You can drill the center of all of the solder points and then feed your wire through the silk screen side of the board and then solder it on the solder side, this will help eliminate/reduce solder bridging and will also make it easy to run your wires and reassemble your FB2.

I've done the procedure on 2 FB2s and took photo's I need to post some updates to the FB2 hack page, plus add some other info up there as well and I'm sorry, no the schematic will not be available while the units are actively being retailed.

Curt

Electricity flows through conductors. Metals are conductors.

-Greg

972026[/snapback]

There is no schematic online, and I doubt that Atari (or its employees) are going to post one, especially not while the FB2 is still being produced.

The best thing to do is try to follow the trace yourself. I initially messed up on soldering mine (in two places), but I followed the traces and found other suitable solder spots.

If the trace goes nowhere useful, you might be able to scrape the trace until you expose the copper and solder directly to that. I've done this before and it works, though it's not particularly easy.

972033[/snapback]