IGNORED

Digital Press Videogames store

JerseyDevil

I don't know if this was posted here already but I just wanted to give a plug to a new classic gaming store here in Jersey. Digital Press has opened a store in Clifton, I stopped by today and was definately impressed. They had games for almost every system every made. The prices seemed very fair also. I picked up a few NES R5 and R6 carts.

I really hope people support this store because they are so few good classic game stores around. If anybody wants the address or directions, you can PM me.

The problem with classic game stores is that by the very nature of the business, they have to charge more than what people are normally willing to pay. Most people want classic game stores to sell them carts for what they'd pay at a flea market or a yard sale (especially those rare ones). However game stores are businesses, they need to sell those games at a high enough price that will allow them to keep the store going. Usually this price is higher than most classic gamers want to pay. Also, classic games are a limited supply, they're not like modern games which can be ordered from the manufacturer. This makes them even more precious and makes the price go up even more. Honestly, I don't know how any classic game store can stay in business.

Tempest

I don't know if this was posted here already but I just wanted to give a plug to a new classic gaming store here in Jersey. Digital Press has opened a store in Clifton, I stopped by today and was definately impressed. They had games for almost every system every made. The prices seemed very fair also. I picked up a few NES R5 and R6 carts.

I really hope people support this store because they are so few good classic game stores around. If anybody wants the address or directions, you can PM me.

973145[/snapback]

If Joe does mail order, I will definetely support him. I've been following the threads at DP. I love to support mom & pop game stores. Thay are all but extinct in the Seattle area. Too many Walmarts, Targets and Gamestops.

-Lee

The problem with classic game stores is that by the very nature of the business, they have to charge more than what people are normally willing to pay. 

This makes them even more precious and makes the price go up even more.  Honestly, I don't know how any classic game store can stay in business.

Tempest

973165[/snapback]

Yeah, it's kind of tough to stay in business and try and deal with the "FIVE DOLLARS!!, I can get this for FIFTY CENTS at a flea market!!" crowd. :roll:

I'm definitely going to stop by and give him all the support I can. I wish him luck! :thumbsup:

There isn't shit anywhere near here for anything classic. :x

I hope Joe's store does well.  If he starts online sales, he probably will.  I doubt he can stay afloat just having a physical store unless he's also selling lots of new titles for the current generation systems.

973173[/snapback]

Well as I understand it from him, it's still a game store that sells new games. They just support more older game systems than your average store would.

You could, for instance, pick up Twilight Princess and Zelda 2 at the same time.

I hope Joe's store does well.  If he starts online sales, he probably will.  I doubt he can stay afloat just having a physical store unless he's also selling lots of new titles for the current generation systems.

973173[/snapback]

Well as I understand it from him, it's still a game store that sells new games. They just support more older game systems than your average store would.

You could, for instance, pick up Twilight Princess and Zelda 2 at the same time.

973180[/snapback]

True, I forgot to mention they sell new games, too.

I love to support mom & pop game stores. Thay are all but extinct in the Seattle area. Too many Walmarts, Targets and Gamestops.

-Lee

973167[/snapback]

This might be kind of far depending on if you actually live in Seattle or not, but there's an extraordinarily awesome classic game-selling store in Parkland, near PLU. If you have the opportunity to go out there sometime, you should definitely look it up. Sadly, no Atari stuff, but they do have hundreds of NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, GB, GBA, PS, etc. games.

gameXchange here in OKC is family owned and deals primarily in the previous (PS2, Gamecube, xbox 1) generation of games.

The Atari games they have are brought in for 25 cents each and placedin a discount bargain bin. Doesn't matter if it's Combat or Video Life, what system, etc...everything 7800, XE and prior is a buck, and everything Lynx and up is priced accordingly. Boxes games are bit more somtimes, and so is hardware.

Used systems range from $40 to $90, and this does include a Light Sixer or two occasionally.

They seem to justify their existence on newer games, systems, and new store branded hardware. Atari games are just a side market. Sadly, I think it's one they may be getting out of.

I picked up some rarity 6 2600 carts from them for 95 cents each.

This might be kind of far depending on if you actually live in Seattle or not, but there's an extraordinarily awesome classic game-selling store in Parkland, near PLU.  If you have the opportunity to go out there sometime, you should definitely look it up.  Sadly, no Atari stuff, but they do have hundreds of NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, GB, GBA, PS, etc. games.

Any specific directions? :D I have an idea where Pacific Lutheran U is... but I wouldn't mind checking that place out the next time I drive south :)

I think its great that he got his store open but knowing what I know now If I was him i would not open a video game store again . Hell now even Best buy is going to test selling used games. The neat thing about him with a new store is he has lots of old stuff but soon enough he will run out and none will flow into his store and at the same time as he has to sell it at high prices and he knows or thinks he can get it cheap again and then someone walks in the door with rare games and offers them way under what he will sell them for and the person just says " I will just have to sell them on Ebay". His store looks nice and goodluck to him.

It's a tough business to get into - there is hardly any markup on new games and the prices fall out on old stock quickly.. if Joe can keep the flow of used stuff coming in and being able to offer it at decent prices, he may be able to stay afloat, but I honestly can say that I don't envy him for the amount of work and the high potential for failure he is facing.

Best of luck Joe!

This might be kind of far depending on if you actually live in Seattle or not, but there's an extraordinarily awesome classic game-selling store in Parkland, near PLU.  If you have the opportunity to go out there sometime, you should definitely look it up.  Sadly, no Atari stuff, but they do have hundreds of NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, GB, GBA, PS, etc. games.

Any specific directions? :D I have an idea where Pacific Lutheran U is... but I wouldn't mind checking that place out the next time I drive south :)

973285[/snapback]

Me Too! :)

-Lee

most of those places end up selling magic the gathering, yu-gi-oh and other pre-teen crack cards just to stay afloat... then they'll end up with the most useless and scattershot used DVD and CD section... next thing ya know its pewter dungeons and dragons figures, black light pink floyd posters, graphic novel comics, robot model kits and skull shaped ceramic bongs... wait, wait that was my bedroom in high school.

nah i think joe stands a better than decent chance, he's got the whole NYC burbs area to draw from and he literally wrote the book on classic game collecting. your average mom n pop shop couldnt buy the sort of direct marketing that is the digital press website. sooner or later every game collector ends up on his site, thats gotta be a huge help for bringing traffic to the store.

nah i think joe stands a better than decent chance, he's got the whole NYC burbs area to draw from and he literally wrote the book on classic game collecting.

973651[/snapback]

HA! Nice one. Don't you think all guides are crap anyhow? What about your "divide by ten" rule?

the ugly truth is that its very, very simple to determine what a game or hardware item is worth. take the original retail price and divide it by ten, the result is the present value. for example a mass market atari game like megamania or zelda for the NES sold for around $30 and today you could get one off ebay for $3 or so, an NES sold for $200 or so is worth about 20 bucks. this works on down the line right up til playstation 2 titles. there are minor exceptions to the rule for RPGs, imports and sports titles. most of what people consider to be rare items are more accuratley items that failed to achieve mass market distribution and are thus limited in quanity. collecting games for anything besides pleasure is all but pointless since they almost never appreciate in value.

969361[/snapback]

:ponder:

why debate it? anyone is welcome to their own take on prices, it still doesnt change the fact that 95% of games will be worth $5 or so a few years after they're out.

969823[/snapback]

:roll:

this isnt a knock on collecting, i'm probably the largest collector in new england but i do think the cash value stuff is borderline silly.

970744[/snapback]

Edited by Zwackery

oh good grief, yes i still think price guides are silly

people who get worked up over the $2 dollar price guide difference between a gray or gold zelda cart need to revisit why they collect games in the first place.

at any rate the digital press guides are something i use all of the time in keeping track of my collection - its first and foremost a masterlist. its a good resource to have on hand but that doesnt mean i take the prices as gospel, i doubt even joe himself does in running his store.

whats up with the cut n' paste job anyways? that was another thread and i dont see how my bringing up joe's authorship of the guide changes the things you've quoted. is this a personal thing for you?

oh good grief, yes i still think price guides are silly

973719[/snapback]

But "he literally wrote the book on classic game collecting." Hmmm, I wonder how he will set the prices for his store's wares?

whats up with the cut n' paste job anyways? that was another thread and i dont see how my bringing up joe's authorship of the guide changes the things you've quoted. is this a personal thing for you?

973719[/snapback]

Yes.

I'd like to say more, but I don't like to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Edited by Zwackery

First off, I have a question. Will Joe give me dirty looks if I walk in with a DP price guide?! LOL! Some stores will give you dirty looks if they see you carrying that thing in. I'm kidding!

Second, I think he'll do well if he keeps a steady flow of used stuff coming in. He needs to keep abreast on eBay and other places and buying stuff for cheap and marking them up. I don't have money until after the holidays (maybe before) but I'm definately taking a trip up there and I'm definately bringing a nice wad of cash with me. I need a few classic systems and games.

Is AA gonna get him to carry the new homebrews?! :)

Edited by yuppicide

Having a store has advantages espically if they sell new games.My buddy has a store and people will bring in all kind of old stuff to trade for credit to get new games.Outside of the collecting circles the old games to a lot of people are worthless so they will take almost anything for credit..I was in the store once and a lady brought in a giant tub with 50 plus nes games and buried on the bottom was a minty top loader she gladly took 35 dollars and walked out with a smile.i was in game stop and some guy traded in 200 nes games which they gave him 25 cents per game..In the lot I saw at least 40 games that would of sold for 10.00 plus dollars each.If your in a area where there is still a lot of people with older stuff to trade in a store is a great idea.

Having a store has advantages espically if they sell new games.My buddy has a store and people will bring in all kind of old stuff to trade for credit to get new games.Outside of the collecting circles the old games to a lot of people are worthless so they will take almost anything for credit..I was in the store once and a lady brought in a giant tub with 50 plus nes games and buried on the bottom was a minty top loader she gladly took 35 dollars and walked out with a smile.i was in game stop and some guy traded in 200 nes games which they gave him 25 cents per game..In the lot I saw at least 40 games that would of sold for 10.00 plus dollars each.If your in a area where there is still a lot of people with older stuff to trade in a store is a great idea.

974651[/snapback]

I own a store and this is the flaw most people dont see. Those people bring in a giant box of crap and yes you give .25 per cart and they get $50 and they take your best new or used game $50 that you just paid about $45 for and then you have a bunch of slow selling old games. They you still have to order another new game that just sold for another $45 or so just to have it happen again. Yes you can turn those nes games into big money but its slow and kills cash flow.

I stopped by the store yesterday, and loved it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The place looks great inside, the pics I saw really don't do it justice. It has a nice layout, and a cool proto/rare display located in a deep glass enclosed area at the back.

There were tons of stuff for lots and lots of systems, boxed and loose. Even some complete boxed classic systems - INTY, CV and 2600 sixer for reasonable prices.

I picked up some 2600 stuff - a couple of loose carts, and some boxed titles including Looping - very cool!. Also picked up some 5200 carts, NES carts (boxed and loose), SNES (boxed), a boxed Jaguar cart, Genesis carts (boxed), and even a few Vic 20 carts - nice! There were also many C64 and A8 carts and some boxed titles as well.

The prices were all very reasonable, and everything I bought was in great shape. Also talked to Joe for a bit, and found him very friendly.

Anyhow - I wish Joe lots of luck with the store. It's exactly the type of place I've been waiting for to open around here (there is NOTHING classic/retro anywhere near this area). Hell, it's pretty damn close to the way I'd put a store like that together if I was going to open one.

I'll definitely be going back :cool:

Edited by remowilliams