IGNORED

7800 computer - finally !

Curt Vendel

New dual program cart pcb design is done, though I am having some issue with the PAL gating which I need to go back and look at again, so I'm going to put OSS 7800 Basic and 7800 VideoWriter onto a single cart. I am talking with some contacts in HK about a small run of 7800 computer keyboard cases with some markings on them so they show they are a new run and no one tries to say they are originals. The 600XL/800XL keyboards are what were used and I am still working with the MCU coder on the new MCU programming, its been a VERY tough battle getting a clone workalike running of the 13bit 1670 that was originally used. This whole thing got put off into a box on another desk for a while as I've been working on the arcade machines presently and that has chewed up pretty much all my time right now --- I need 72hr days, then I could finally catch up with things ;-)

Curt

Well, it's been a couple months. I figured this thread might use a good bump. Hoping for some news. :)

-Rob

Well glad to see this is still moving forward. If there is any info on the OSS Basic, I'd love to see it. Even just a list of the commands it uses. Here's to hoping it gets finished.

Allan

New dual program cart pcb design is done, though I am having some issue with the PAL gating which I need to go back and look at again, so I'm going to put OSS 7800 Basic and 7800 VideoWriter onto a single cart. I am talking with some contacts in HK about a small run of 7800 computer keyboard cases with some markings on them so they show they are a new run and no one tries to say they are originals. The 600XL/800XL keyboards are what were used and I am still working with the MCU coder on the new MCU programming, its been a VERY tough battle getting a clone workalike running of the 13bit 1670 that was originally used. This whole thing got put off into a box on another desk for a while as I've been working on the arcade machines presently and that has chewed up pretty much all my time right now --- I need 72hr days, then I could finally catch up with things ;-)

Curt

Well, it's been a couple months. I figured this thread might use a good bump. Hoping for some news. :)

-Rob

Hi Curt

please subsribe me for all your products about the 7800.How about making a preorder list?So you would know,how many keyboards and cartridges you can sell.I think everybody,who wants one,should have the possibility to get one.

greetings Walter

Glad to hear the project hasn't been abandoned. :)

Yeah, me too! :)

please subsribe me for all your products about the 7800.How about making a preorder list?So you would know,how many keyboards and cartridges you can sell.I think everybody,who wants one,should have the possibility to get one.

Well if you do take an official pre-order list Curt, definitely put me down for one cart/keyboard :D

Glad to hear the project hasn't been abandoned. :)

Yeah, me too! :)

Well if you do take an official pre-order list Curt, definitely put me down for one cart/keyboard :D

Add me to the list as well.

Hi Curt

greetings Walter

1. I would like anyone who is interested in purchasing a computer module and carts to email me please:

curt@atarimuseum.com and just put the subject line as 7800 Computer keyboard.

2. I am not taking pre-orders or down payments, I don't like to have to hold people's money and then have them emailing me wanting to know the status, so when I've built enough units to start the first batch I'm going to setup a simple storefront or perhaps ask Albert here to setup a storefront page and have them sold direct to everyone.

Didn't we do this back in Dec? :)

Hi Curt

greetings Walter

1. I would like anyone who is interested in purchasing a computer module and carts to email me please:

curt@atarimuseum.com and just put the subject line as 7800 Computer keyboard.

2. I am not taking pre-orders or down payments, I don't like to have to hold people's money and then have them emailing me wanting to know the status, so when I've built enough units to start the first batch I'm going to setup a simple storefront or perhaps ask Albert here to setup a storefront page and have them sold direct to everyone.

Didn't we do this back in Dec? :)

I wasn't here then. So Ijust sent him my E-Mail today. I still want this if it is going to happen.

-Ray

I wasn't here then. So Ijust sent him my E-Mail today. I still want this if it is going to happen.

-Ray

You know I've been thinking about this, and you know what might actually be easier that a special keyboard, molded case, motherboard for keyboard and I/O port?

A little converter box that would convert a standard keyboard with I/O ports on it. Not even a box, the case the use could add later, but just a board with a keyboard port and I/O ports. Maybe add extra ram... maybe.

So that is my thought. And you say converting to a PS/2 or USB keyboard would be too much hastle? How about a SERIAL KEYBOARD then? How about the Newton keyboard...

http://users.visi.net/~arn/pic3.jpg

This keyboard is small, has nice action, and many many other platforms have converted to for use with simple drivers (HP100/200, ipaq, Palm, ect) Great great little keyboard. Perhaps slightly more brilliant and useful than the Newton MessagePad itself.

So this is my thought... a board with a serial port with some driver programming on the board to have it emulate the keyboard protocals. Some I/O ports, or at least 25 pin connectors that could have adaptors made to work with standard I/O ports (which is common since I/O ports are rather hard to find.

Now all we need to do is to make the word processor and modem carts to run these.

I just read Curt's update again and noticed that he mentions doing some MCU coding, so I suspect he's already got an interface for modern keyboards in mind. It might even be similar to keyboard interfaces designed for the Atari 8-bit computers (like this one), since the original design used keyboard mechs from the XL series.

Using a modern keyboard might make the 7800 computer module a little less "retro," but it would almost certainly make it cheaper and easier to produce as well. I'm sure none of us would have a problem finding a spare keyboard of our own to use.

Edited by jaybird3rd

I just read Curt's update again and noticed that he mentions doing some MCU coding, so I suspect he's already got an interface for modern keyboards in mind. It might even be similar to keyboard interfaces designed for the Atari 8-bit computers (like this one), since the original design used keyboard mechs from the XL series.

Using a modern keyboard might make the 7800 computer module a little less "retro," but it would almost certainly make it cheaper and easier to produce as well. I'm sure none of us would have a problem finding a spare keyboard of our own to use.

Excellent point!

In my keyboard pile, I've got an older XT, Amiga4000, Amiga 3000, a few USBs, and some PS2's. Hopefully it'll be USB or PS2. But I also have a few old 800XL keyboards, so I think I'm covered either way!

Edited by MaDDuck

• 2 months later...

Excellent point!

In my keyboard pile, I've got an older XT, Amiga4000, Amiga 3000, a few USBs, and some PS2's. Hopefully it'll be USB or PS2. But I also have a few old 800XL keyboards, so I think I'm covered either way!

Just posting something here to keep the message from falling too far into the archives. :) Still think this is a great idea that I want to try someday.

Excellent point!

Just posting something here to keep the message from falling too far into the archives. :) Still think this is a great idea that I want to try someday.

I concur!

• 3 weeks later...

-Ray

You know I've been thinking about this, and you know what might actually be easier that a special keyboard, molded case, motherboard for keyboard and I/O port?

A little converter box that would convert a standard keyboard with I/O ports on it. Not even a box, the case the use could add later, but just a board with a keyboard port and I/O ports. Maybe add extra ram... maybe.

Know what's sad? I had this working...well over a year ago.

http://www.phin.com/atari7800/

There was some brief interest, then I blew out something on my RIOT, and the port didn't work too well.

However, that shouldn't have stopped anyone from replicating my results and extending on them.

Oh well.

Edited by Flipper

The 7800 keyboard not just a keyboard. It has a cassette interface and SIO port. Somehow it manages to do all that through one joystick port.

The wasteful thing about this is that since the 7800 doesn't know anything about the keyboard, and only has 4K RAM, the carts have to both have all the keyboard hooks as well as a RAM chip.

The 7800 keyboard not just a keyboard. It has a cassette interface and SIO port. Somehow it manages to do all that through one joystick port.

The wasteful thing about this is that since the 7800 doesn't know anything about the keyboard, and only has 4K RAM, the carts have to both have all the keyboard hooks as well as a RAM chip.

It's a simple 3 bit protocol, and requires maybe 100 bytes of code in the cartridge. However, to make it a full 'computer', yes, you're going to need extra ram. But just to include 'keyboard' support in a game, would take nothing at all.

You could even do game saves to tape with little extra code, and no extra RAM.

• 3 months later...

I am new to the 7800 Scene and I would also buy one of these Keyboards when they are ready, is there a waiting list?

Tim

email Curt Vendel and then hurry up and wait like the rest of us :grin:

Also, WHERE THE FUCK IS THE KEYB CURT?? (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) ;)

I am new to the 7800 Scene and I would also buy one of these Keyboards when they are ready, is there a waiting list?

Tim

Ditto minus the F-word and the capitals. Please!!!!!!!!!!

Allan

Tim

Allan

Come on, it's good to say FUCK once in a while. Keeps you young :lol:

Tim

Allan

Come on, it's good to say FUCK once in a while. Keeps you young :lol:

I agree but not with kids around like my son. :) Plus I figured brute force is going to motivate Curt. He's not a wimpy guy. :)

Allan

Speaking of the 7800 Keyboard...

I hope Curt would consider designing the board to fit into a 600XL case. It has all but two I/O ports for the keyboard add-on and it also fits the actual keyboard itself which uses the XL keyboards. All you need to do is add the cassette port and the whole for the joystick plugs to go into the 7800. Any thoughts on that?

Allan