IGNORED

7800 computer - finally !

Curt Vendel

I

Want

One

!!!!!

Looking very good so far, the 400 keyboard is a nice touch but I'll prob. plug in my extra 600XL one if it'll work.

Doubt that it will work, pretty sure that the keyboards are mapped differently

Grrrrrr I hope not!

Can anyone here confirm if the keyboards are mapped different or not?

Slightly, but yes...

Curt

I

Want

One

!!!!!

Looking very good so far, the 400 keyboard is a nice touch but I'll prob. plug in my extra 600XL one if it'll work.

Doubt that it will work, pretty sure that the keyboards are mapped differently

Grrrrrr I hope not!

Can anyone here confirm if the keyboards are mapped different or not?

Hi Allan,

Its a terminal program.    Apparently a modem was made but I have yet to track one down yet, so I'll keep that one on the shelf until I locate the modem module.

Curt

That's cool, I think the terminal program was the only one of the original 7800 keyboard programs that hadn't been confirmed to be found yet. :)

I hope you can find what modem it works with.

Mitch

It would be weird if it needed a different modem other than a 1030. Why would they have wasted designing a new modem when they had the SIO connected 1030?

Allan

Okay I might be a bit late to this conversation, but didn't the 1030 modem use the Pokey sound chip? I would think there would be all sorts of issues trying to get it to work with something based on the 7800.

• 2 months later...
Hmmmmmmm

Anyone heard any updates on this?

Well, Curt has been releasing a bunch of source code and tools lately, so give him a little slack on this one for now. :D

slack given!!

totally

just want to make sure Grandma is still hooked up to the machine!!

can i be a complete tool and retard and ask "how would a 7800 computer be any different from an XE"?

In what way do you mean? They're entirely different technology bases/architectures. It's in no way the same as the 5200 to Atari 8-bit/XEGS, which is more or less the same modified platform. A "7800 computer" would be its own, independent, 8-bit computing platform, like a C-64, Apple II, whatever, with little relation to anything else.

Computer Keyboard would be around $69 or so, Basic/Videwriter cart would be around $30-$35 and the AtariLab's would be about $15-$20 each

The SIO bus is being fully implemented on the keyboard just as it was on the original. Someone will need to modify a DOS to work with it though. Basic and the Videowriter will support tape drive backups and use of Atari Printers without any DOS.

Curt

Good stuff.

The difference between the 7800 w/ keyboard and the XEGS to me would be the games it would play. I think computerwise though the 7800 will obviously start out with incredibly little software compared the XEGS and it's line, the computer capibilities should be kinda similiar.

But the 7800 will have the abilities of playing hundreds of 2600/7800 games and have the computer ability. And I already think that above all the 7800 is the best balance of all the Atari systems.

Here is another way to look at it. A XEGS is a computer turned into a game system. This truly would be a game system turned into a computer. :D

can i be a complete tool and retard and ask "how would a 7800 computer be any different from an XE"?

In what way do you mean? They're entirely different technology bases/architectures. It's in no way the same as the 5200 to Atari 8-bit/XEGS, which is more or less the same modified platform. A "7800 computer" would be its own, independent, 8-bit computing platform, like a C-64, Apple II, whatever, with little relation to anything else.

some of the games I have for both systems look identical, and some of the games I have for the XE look just as good if not better than some 7800 games, so I guess I thought they were pretty much the same thing, the XE also has 400/800 backward compatibility correct? I know it at least has 400 as I have some 400 games and it plays them. I was just curious what a 7800 computer would actually bring new to the scene that the XE couldn't already do, and basically the answer is that a 7800 computer would play 2600 games???