IGNORED

New Lynx user

LordFlux

Just bought a present for myself... a Lynx II. Always wanted one when it first came out, but my parents got me a Sega Game Gear and I definately wasn't going to complain. The Lynx sort of faded away in my memory over the years until earlier yesterday. Was talking with a friend about portable media players... the Tiger Electronics VuGo came up... then he mentioned the Gizmondo, in turn I mentioned the GP2X... and then we started talking about portable gaming. Needless to say, the Lynx was brought up and I got the itch.

I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival in the mail. In the mean time, I do have a few questions:

The system came out in 1991... that was 14 years ago. What is the typical life span of the Lynx's internal components? And if my Lynx dies, is there anyone I can send it to for repair?

Also, I was thinking of ordering my friend a Lynx... I think he'd be surprised. What are some of the *must have* ComLynx titles?

And finally -- I always wanted Hard Drivin' when I was younger. Is it worth purchasing? I'll probably get it anyway just for nostalgic sakes, but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks.

congrats, i've had my Lynx II for quite a while and its still running strong.

Get WarBirds as a comlynx game and Guantlet.

As for Hard Driving, i've never played it but read some reviews before you buy, i think it got pretty bad reviews.

As for must owns, i'd say Blue Lightning, Roadblasters are my favs that I own, Super Skweek is pretty good too. Stay away from Kung Food at all cost.

There's a topic here about multiplayer games. I like Slimeworld, Xenophobe and Rampage.

There's also a topic about the worst games for the Lynx. I find the majority of Lynx games enjoyable.

Favorites include Shadow of the Beast, Roadblasters, Robotron, APB and STUN Runner. My wife likes Rygar, Super Skweek and Crystal Mines II. My dad likes Chip's Challenge a lot.

Most people dislike Hard Drivin'. Like the name says it's quite hard, mostly because the framerate is low and collisions sometimes seem unfair. I persisted with this game and I like it. When the car speeds up the framerate gets a lot more smooth and the physics are nice.

The Lynx actully came out in 1989 and they do break quite easily but are fairly easy to repair too. I must have fixed mine about 10 times. My fave comlynx games are Checkered Flag, Xenophobe, Rampart, California Games and Zarlor Mercenary. And I really love Hard Drivin' for me its one of the best games on the machine.

Edited by mr.kizza

Wow mr.kizza, you fixed yours 10 times??

I have multiple Lynxes, and they all work fine

Maybe you are to rough? :D

LordFlux, get your buddy a Lynx and buy two copies of Joust for 2-player Gladiatormode, you'll be laughing out loud!

And as mentioned before, read the topic about multiplayer games

Have fun :)

My many Lynx problems:

1. Power supply jack (like TailChao said) about 7 times

2. Joypad and A+B buttons, rubber pads to be exact, about 3 times.

3. Catridge slot, neads cleaning regularly.

4. Dust appears like magic inside the screen, take the cover off and clean with a glasses cloth.

5. The game cards themselves, clean the connector strips regularly.

Hard Drivin was a major disappointment. Much of it has to do with the controls or lack thereof. It is one of the most frustrating games on the system. Unless you can get it for $5 or less, I say pass.

If you are only playing with or against one comlynx partner, I suggest Rampage, Rampart, Xenophobe, Warbirds and Joust. Checkered Flag is good but the more the merrier.

• 2 weeks later...

Been pretty busy with the holidays and have been meaning to post. I received my Lynx last week and am very impressed with the system. The system came with 7 games: California Games, Kung Food, Steel Talons, Xybots, Super Skweek, Cyberball, and Chip's Challenge. Xybots and Chip's Challenge have been receiving most of the my attention thus far, but I haven't really given the other games a chance... been pretty limited on time.

My Lynx I has some dead pixels, and the power jack is loose.

Other than that it still works fine after 12/13 years (even after hacking the screen into a slide projector and then reassembling)...

Store in a cool dry place, preferably in a box with those little silica packets.

My favourite games are the simpler ones like Calfornia Games and Klax. There are more impressive games, but I think handhelds are more suited to simpler "pick-up-and-play" games.