IGNORED

Sony Bashing and "Why would anyone buy a PSP?"

Gabriel

I openly will admit to being a huge fan on the DS. It has really brought back excitement about new games to me. The only 3 things that make me at all jealous of the PSP are Lumines, Wipeout and Hot Shots Golf.

I just have to put a few comments in...

First, if you're using Ridge Racer as an example of why you love the PSP, I feel the opposite. Ridge Racer has been on every console known to man. I'm so tired of it, everything it has done Burnout does better.

In terms of lack of originality - the DS has games that could never be done on other systems - have you played Trauma Center? It's probably the most intense game I've played for years. Nintendogs is a great piece of software, not specifically a game, but neither are those 100+ UMD movies that people seem to buy in force. The system just reeks of quality games, and they are the price a handheld game SHOULD be, not $50 a whack.

The DS is winning because programmers know it's a handheld system and cater experiences to that audience. The PSP tries to shoehorn console games into a portable. I'm not looking to play my console games on the road, most of them are too long and require too much concentration for that. What I want are quick loading games that allow me to pick up a quick game on the go - the DS is great for those.

I own both the DS and the PSP. Personally I find them entertaining on two different levels.

For the more general, modern-day console gaming on the go, you can't go wrong with the PSP. Really I have not found a PSP that I just absolutely and totally detest. There are some more interesting titles out since those few I bought at or shortly after launch day now, so it's good to see the PSP getting a little attention and some nice titles. Extra features do help to sweeten the deal if you want to use them. As some have stated, though, unless you actually want to use them, they are indeed useless. But that doesn't affect the quality of the games available on the system. There are some truly excellent 3D titles on the PSP ("Kingdom of Paradise", "Infected", "Ridge Racer" (Yes, "Ridge Racer" again... though it's been recycled through many many releases, it still makes it no less fun)), interesting and odd titles that are fun to tinker around with on occasion and in short bursts ("Mercury"), and there's even a little 2D gaming goodness sprinkled in for good measure.

On the other hand, the DS provides the classic gamer and the "odd but fun" games which I also like. Now mind you I don't much care for "Nintendogs". Not because it's a Nintendo game, but I just don't like that particular style of game. What I enjoy more on the DS are interesting touch-screen games like Meteos, Kirby's Canvas Curse or Yoshi's Touch & Go. But there are some more traditional-styled games on the DS that are also very well executed. For instance, "Nanostray" is one of the best shooters I've seen for anything in a long long time. And "Metroid Prime Hunters" is still coming up and looks to be a good title as well (I have no problem controlling the demo, personally), so DS has some 3D gaming covered though not to the extent the PSP covers it. But for 2D gaming, you get the entire run of Game Boy Advance games (many of which are fairly hard to beat), as well as some nice "made for DS" titles like "Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow"... shall I continue? :D

So I guess in the end if you look at what each system provides, they really are providing the same service (gaming) at two different levels. So if you want the full spectrum of what's out there, objectively you should get both systems. But, if you're more of a classic gamer or just like quirky type games with interesting twists, get the DS. If modern-day gaming is what you're looking for, with the occasional classic-style game thrown about, get a PSP.

Neither system is perfect, but neither system is bad by any means. :P

Edited by rockman_x_2002

Gabriel, while I do agree with you on certain points, and yes, the PSP is a totally original idea, perhaps the hat's a little deeper than you give Nintendo credit for. You have to admit it was a great idea to come up with a dual-screen with one of them being able to be influenced by your "touch", then to utilize games around that premise.

Sales are the final verdict of a product's "floatability", and the DS is very popular. I know the underdogs of the portable gaming world need a chance, but Nintendo has consistantly done well in their portable gaming market. Now, before you scream "fanboy!!!", I admire Sony for their products and have supported them firmly in the past with their release of the PS1. I even had a PS2, and enjoyed that system as well.

However, I still find the DS original, savvy, and surprising, with a great slew of games to satisfy gamers from all genres.

Just my take on it.

Steve

985116[/snapback]

No. I really only try to scream "fanboy" when someone is sounding like a fanboy.

I personally don't see anything useful about the dual screens, and have found it either a curiousity or an outright hindrance in the games I've seen. However, I can't deny that people ARE buying the thing. I don't know why.

But, then again, everyone is mystified why PSP movies are selling so well. So there's bewilderment on both sides.

985120[/snapback]

You don't see anything useful about having two screens? Then you obviously have never played the new castlevania game. Putting the map and stats on the top screen cuts down on a LOT of boring pain in the ass map checking. And pac N' roll could never work with only one screen. Sure you could do it but it would be nearly impossible to play.

Just about every ds game I own useses the second screen in a way thay helps game play. Some need it to work at all others don't but they just about always benefit from it. Having two screens allows for a less cluttered gaming experience, that is unless you like have all sorts of crap blocking what you're doing. The only game that doesn't use it much is mari 64 mainly because it was never meant to be played with it. Also spider man 2 doesn't use it well but that game just sucks on all counts.

Then there's Wario Ware, which I've previously gotten in trouble for stating my opinion on. But I'll say it again, I really don't understand how anyone could have fun occasionally drawing hashmarks, tapping the screen, or repeatedly drawing circles accompanied by graphics ripped from NES games. There's nothing engaging. And there's certainly nothing eye catching. The game has no depth at all.

I may be going out on a limb here but if you played a lot of pen and paper rpgs this game was never aimed at you in the first place. Some of us like fast and wacky games, like myself for example. I couldn't imagine anything less fun than tracking stats for a game. But some may enjoy it, that doesn't make either thing bad. They just have certain groups that like it, same goes for nintendogs.

Edited by sega saturn x

Can I play Midway Arcade Treasures on the DS?  Only if I want to play the atrocious GBA version.  I just got this one for my PSP today, and let me tell you, it kicks much booty.  I see myself playing a lot of Wizard of Wor.

The Dave Matthews band does not rock. And Midway Arcade Treasures on the PSP does not kick much booty. It doesn't feature Robotron: 2084 or Smash TV, there's a lot of load time on the Mortal Kombat games, and you're given only a few customization options. For instance, you can't play Joust at its original aspect ratio... the game is stre-e-e-e-etched to fit the PSP's wide screen, so it looks kind of nasty, with distorted pixels.

Is it better than the horrifying Game Boy Advance version? Yes. Then again, so is driving thumb tacks into your scrotum. A good translation of MAT COULD have been possible on the Game Boy Advance, but Midway never really took the system seriously, and that terrible port was the unfortunate result.

Can I listen to MP3s on the DS?  Not without resorting to the dubious 3rd party borderline pirate stuff.  I've got my PSP loaded with about 200 songs and I listen to it every day going to and from work.

A fresh-out-of-the-package PSP can hold about, hmm, an album worth of songs, which isn't enough to satisfy anyone. With a pricey 2G memory stick, you can fit in a lot more, but an iPod is less expensive, and much more compact.

The PSP is a mediocre music player at best, with a maximum capacity of 4G and a bulky design that's ill-suited for active lifestyles (can you imagine jogging with a PSP awkwardly jammed into your shorts? Me neither).

Besides, MP3 playback is hardly that impressive a feature these days. EVERYTHING can play MP3s, including remote-controlled cars and other children's toys. You have to offer something truly special to put your product ahead of the hundreds of other MP3 players on the market, and the PSP just doesn't have it.

JR

I just want to say - putting all my opinions aside of how superior the DS is over the PSP that I completely agree on Warioware. I really don't like the series much at all. Once you've seen the minigames, I just can't find anything to go back to. I bought the original and tried again with Touched, ended up selling both. Just not my thing - oddly enough I LOVED Feel the Magic.

The PSP is too expensive for it's own good. $250 for the system, over $50 for a decent menory stick if you want to take advantage of it's multimedia functions, a UMD costs more than a DVD, and PSP games often cost as much or more than their PS2 counterparts. To get a decent setup it'll cost you as much as getting a decent X Box 360 set up and not only is the PSP competing with the DS, it's competing with I pods, MP3 players, protable DVD players, and even labtop computers.

The PSP is too expensive for it's own good. $250 for the system, over $50 for a decent menory stick if you want to take advantage of it's multimedia functions, a UMD costs more than a DVD, and PSP games often cost as much or more than their PS2 counterparts. To get a decent setup it'll cost you as much as getting a decent X Box 360 set up and not only is the PSP competing with the DS, it's competing with I pods, MP3 players, protable DVD players, and even labtop computers.

985550[/snapback]

The DS has the unique atvantage of being so different that if you want to play a lot of the games you need a DS. The same can not be said of most psp games. Lets face it about 90% or more of its games are on other systems. That deosn't make them bad, but it really isn't a motavation to buy one either.

i noticed the slow down in titles for psp which was happening with the ds but that apparently changed lol :rolling:

985656[/snapback]

Yes, thank God that now the DS has top shelf software like Marvel Nemesis, Spyro: Shadow Legacy, Zoo Tycoon, Snowboard Kids, Disney's Kim Possible, Need For Speed Most Wanted, Burnout Legends, King Kong, Dragon Booster, Elf Bowling, and ATV: Quad Frenzy to bring that system to the next level.

</sarcasm>

Oh, by the way, have those of you who are pathetically grasping at straws in order to bash the PSP seen and/or played Grand Theft Auto, Burnout Legends, Prince of Persia Revelations, Kingdom of Paradise, or X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP? Have any of you even seen a PSP? It doesn't take much time to realize that the PSP's big strength is in creating great-looking, smooth 3D worlds, unlike the DS's chunky, ragged graphics. And once the new Ghouls N Ghosts and Viewtiful Joe come out for the PSP, you'll see how well it does 2D. I like playing 2D and puzzle games on my DS, but when it comes to 3D and racing games and such, the DS can't compete.

Edited by cryptik76

Yes, thank God that now the DS has top shelf software like Marvel Nemesis, Spyro: Shadow Legacy, Zoo Tycoon, Snowboard Kids, Disney's Kim Possible, Need For Speed Most Wanted, Burnout Legends, King Kong, Dragon Booster, Elf Bowling, and ATV: Quad Frenzy to bring that system to the next level.

</sarcasm>

Gee, you think?

It's not the DS's fault that most Western game designers are too dumb, lazy, and/or greedy to take advantage of the system's strengths. It takes imagination to really get the most out of the touchscreen interface, which is why companies like Electronic Arts produce nothing but crapola for the system. It's a lot easier to cash in on a movie license with a half-baked, N64-quality title like Goldeneye: Rogue Agent than to put THOUGHT into the design of an excellent game that feels like it was designed especially for the DS.

Oh, by the way, have those of you who are pathetically grasping at straws in order to bash the PSP seen and/or played Grand Theft Auto, Burnout Legends, Prince of Persia Revelations, Kingdom of Paradise, or X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP?  Have any of you even seen a PSP?

Yep, I own a PSP. I own Burnout Legends too, and I love it... it's the only way to play Burnout on the go (although as I mentioned earlier, EA is too stupid/lazy/greedy to figure out how to make worthwhile software for the DS).

Still, there are BIG problems with the design of the PSP. Games take forever to load. The battery life is barely acceptable at roughly three hours. The tiny analog nub is nearly worthless for many games. The seperated cross D-pad makes playing fighting games like Darkstalkers: Chaos Tower pure agony. The system is both large and fragile, a very expensive combination for the user.

The system's worst failing, of course, is that there's just not enough software on the system that speaks to ME as a gamer. Thank Sony for that... the restrictive licensing policies that kept quality niche games from being released on the PS2 has made the PSP library even more limited.

Guess what, guys? I don't want another craptastic Grand Theft Auto game. I don't want a dull, drab military shooter like Socom: Fire Team Bravo, and I don't want half-assed original titles like The Con and Death Jr. (which will forevermore be called "The Great White Hype" due to Konami's promoting this unworthy action title as the PSP's killer app).

I want the games that Sony won't give me. I want addictive 2D titles with bright colors and catchy music. I want likable characters with loads of personality. I want quirky concepts that lead to fresh, fun gameplay. I want originality... new characters, new ideas, and brave new artistic directions. I want everything that Nintendo stands for, and everything that Sony stands against.

JR

i noticed the slow down in titles for psp which was happening with the ds but that apparently changed lol :rolling:

985656[/snapback]

</sarcasm>

Oh, by the way, have those of you who are pathetically grasping at straws in order to bash the PSP seen and/or played Grand Theft Auto, Burnout Legends, Prince of Persia Revelations, Kingdom of Paradise, or X-Men Legends 2 on the PSP? Have any of you even seen a PSP? It doesn't take much time to realize that the PSP's big strength is in creating great-looking, smooth 3D worlds, unlike the DS's chunky, ragged graphics. And once the new Ghouls N Ghosts and Viewtiful Joe come out for the PSP, you'll see how well it does 2D. I like playing 2D and puzzle games on my DS, but when it comes to 3D and racing games and such, the DS can't compete.

985762[/snapback]

Just wanted to point out that Zoo Tycoon is pretty good. It shows its age, but it fits the system well and is a good purchase for gamers who like that genre. Also Snowboard Kids got mediocre reviews but is actually pretty fun. Kim Possible is also a decent platformer (as were it's GBA predecessors) and ATV is also reasonably good. None of these are "Shovelware" - at least when compared to things like Elf Bowling.

The problem is that most people who bash the PSP bash it for having no original games - GTA, Burnout, XMen, PoP all fall under that category - I've played them on the consoles, why buy them again?

One final thing: Viewtiful Joe isn't 2D - it doesn't really prove anything about the PSP's 2D abilities. Even on the DS it's in full 3d (just moves in 2D).

I want the games that Sony won't give me.

985790[/snapback]

That's my only real problem with the DS. There are a number of genres that would lend themselves well to the touch screen (action-RPG's and real-time strategy games, for example) but I feel Nintendo is ignoring those genres in favor of gimmicky games featuring worn-out Nintendo mascots. I see that Age of Empires II is coming to the DS, which is a good start, but it's not enough yet.

I'm not trying to attack the DS, because I think the system has enormous potential. But I love my PSP, despite its drawbacks. My theory is that many of the people on here who are attacking the PSP have little to no experience with one.

My theory is that many of the people on here who are attacking the PSP have little to no experience with one.

I have played one several times. I just wished I got to play games that didn't suck, all I got to play on it were need for speed rivals and the con. Which are both garbage no doubt. I migth get a psp in a few years if sony ever gets around to giving the thing a decent battery life and make it out of the same quality plastic the DS is made out of. Every psp I have seen is smudged and beat to hell.

Some games would be nice too, 50$ is to expensive for a handheld game and that's all there is to it. The system is just one big money muncher form what I have seen. If I had oen I think I migth buy a few of the movies, such as the evil dead or hellraiser but that isn't a good reason to buy one. It's more of a small perk, and really I already have those movies and a portable dvd. player. I think they have done a great job making movies for the system, but that isn't what gamers want. They want games.

Edited by sega saturn x

I really shouldn't contribute to this flamebait, but here goes:

Every system has pluses and minuses. The DS can do a lot of things that the PSP can't, and vice versa.

PSP:

good: beautiful screen, excellent 3D graphics, potential for lots of storage, easy wireless, powerful CPU for homebrew and emulation if you leave it unlocked. Can play music and movies if you load it up with a computer or card reader.

bad: big, fragile, expensive, short battery life, manufacturer actively trying to squash homebrew development.

DS:

good: 2 screens, innovative stylus gameplay, runs GBA games, sturdy.

bad: screens and 3D not as nice as PSP. bulky and ugly.

Personally, I think the GBA is a mobile superior platform all around: pocketable, sturdy, good battery life, ubiquitous, lots of games, homebrew support.

I want the games that Sony won't give me.

985790[/snapback]

That's my only real problem with the DS. There are a number of genres that would lend themselves well to the touch screen (action-RPG's and real-time strategy games, for example) but I feel Nintendo is ignoring those genres in favor of gimmicky games featuring worn-out Nintendo mascots. I see that Age of Empires II is coming to the DS, which is a good start, but it's not enough yet.

986017[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I'd definitely agree that the DS hasn't been used to its full potential. Most companies (especially Western ones) can't think of a better use for the second screen than a map.

I'm not a big fan of strategy games, but there are all kinds of older PC games that would make a smooth transition to the Nintendo DS. Sam and Max are supposed to be making a comeback; with this in mind, it seems like a no-brainer for LucasArts to release the original game on the DS, complete with all the voice. For that matter, why not bring back the sequel to Maniac Mansion, which many gamers never had the chance to play? It'd be a totally new experience to them.

JR

Sony isn't capitalizing on the strengths of the PSP outside of games, either:

They sell a video converter for $30 when freeware does the same thing

Their memory formats are a bit small for a real MP3 collection

They've failed to leverage their wireless capabilities.

For me, SNES emulation and PSP Radio (streaming internet music), and Wipeout Pure have justified the expense of this unit.

Too bad for Sony that only the Wipeout sale earns them any money.

and because of western developers having no imagination the revolutions contoller

will probably turn out to be noting more than a tool for point and click minigames :P

and sonic rush, mario kart, animal crossing, and the sims 2 came out on the ds

how can you say those suck when they get reviews ranging from 8-9 :x

Edited by Cheese007

I have heard nothing but bad things about the sims 2 on the DS.

986215[/snapback]

I'll say good things - my wife got it for her birthday this weekend, and we have passed it back and forth nonstop. It's really good - not as open ended as the PC version, but definately fun - there's a pirate themed card game in the casino that is insanely addictive.

I have a PSP and I enjoy having it, though admittedly I watch cartoons and listen to music on mine more than I play games. I thought I would enjoy PSP's games more than those the DS put out, but I'm seeing that that's not the case so far. For long trips, if you can only have one, the PSP would be better to have, I have to say, with all that it can do, but if you don't care about all that extra stuff and just want to game, the DS is the way to go.

I think I gave up on the DS way too early. My big mistake, both dollar wise and system wise. Augh...my compulsive have is to get a game system, then trade it in for something else, then something else, until I have NOTHING to play! ARGH! Well, I've promised myself that the NEXT game system I will love it and care for it!

Steve :|

and because of western developers having no imagination the revolutions contoller

will probably turn out to be noting more than a tool for point and click minigames :P

986187[/snapback]

Truly a frightening vision of what's to come. Thanks, Cheese... I was almost optimistic about the Revolution for a second there. :roll:

JR