IGNORED

IGN's Ignorant NEX Review

My NES is somewhat messed up as well. I replaced the pin connector myself, and it works but the connection is awfully tight. I'm afraid it's going to damage my games somehow. Of course having such a tight connection has an unexpected benefit, I now don't actually have to push my games down to have them work, they'll work in the up position. It's strange, but doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Tempest

While its possible the reviewer only used a Top Loader back in the day, which is RF only, I sincerely doubt it.  I believe that the reviewer did use a front loader back in the day and like most people used the RF switch.  Only high end TVs had composite video jacks back in the day.  He wouldn't be the first person to forget that the NES had composite video RCA jacks.  Composite video is better than RF, as it is, so if he does know or forgot then his statement that the NEX has better video quality than the NES is a reasonable one.  This is indicative of IGN's fact-checking abilities and sloppy reviewing.

987500[/snapback]

This would mean that they didn't compare the NEX and NES side-by-side, but instead compared the NEX to their memories of playing the NES 20 years ago. No matter what the case is, their misinformation goes to such lengths as to become lies.

With all the comparisons between the NEX and a professionally refurbed NES, it makes me wonder (1)what gets refurbished in an NES besides the cart slot when you send one in instead of DIY-ing it, and (2)how much it actually costs to send one off.

Mine has blinkentoasteritis, and even though I bent the pins back out Kung Fu (of all games) and SMB3 just refuse to play without serious coaxing.

987549[/snapback]

Omne, while I disagree with him on a personal level, does a pretty good job of refurbishing NES systems sent to him, as well as selling refurbished systems with controllers and all. He replaces the 72-pin connector with a high-quality replacement and does lots of testing to make sure everything was done correctly. These connectors are tighter than the original, but then again, so is the connector used in the NEX. You can always lube up your carts with Stabilant 22, which will help them slide in and out more easily.

Omne, as well as many other refurbers, also mod the lockout chip inside the NES. Nintendo put it in there to stop the system from running unlicensed games, but it has the negative side-effect of causing the dreaded blinking when the connector pins that the lockout chip connects to the cart with become dirty or too loose.

There is a third part to solving blinking problems. You've also gotta have clean and working carts. Over the years, many NES carts have had their contacts worn down and corroded, as well as dirtied up. If your cart is clean and the NES is refurbished as described above, your games should work without problems.

The newer redesigned NES could only do RF, maybe this is the one the review was familiar with?

Tempest

987496[/snapback]

There are a few points in the article where they seem to compare the NEX to the original NES, especially when they say "Another nice discovery was the fact that a fresh console does a lot to help old cartridges work, as we managed to get all of our carts working with a minimal amount of huffing and puffing, including a "broken" copy of Zelda we snagged from EB." The top loader doesn't have the blinking issue that many people think can be solved by blowing on the carts, yet they say that such a thing is not necessary with the NEX.

I think the evidence overwhelming points to the fact that they never did any side-by-side comparison of the NEX to the original toaster NES or the top loader NES.

Omne, as well as many other refurbers, also mod the lockout chip inside the NES.  Nintendo put it in there to stop the system from running unlicensed games, but it has the negative side-effect of causing the dreaded blinking when the connector pins that the lockout chip connects to the cart with become dirty or too loose.

Particularly as the lockout chip is far more finicky about the connection than the rest of the system.

Hence why you'll often see the first second or so of game flashing over and over. All the ROM connected fine, but there's enough interference on the lockout pins to stop it from registering.

There is a third part to solving blinking problems.  You've also gotta have clean and working carts.  Over the years, many NES carts have had their contacts worn down and corroded, as well as dirtied up.  If your cart is clean and the NES is refurbished as described above, your games should work without problems.

If you want to use the original cart connector, that needs an even better cleaning than the carts.

It gets missed because it's a pain, but it's covered in grime too. Moreso because people occasionally clean the carts.

On mine, after I bent the pins out, I cleaned it with a cleaning kit, and wiped the grime off the wand with alcohol QTips as it came out(because it registered on me that there were little black lines of debris where the contacts hit the cleaning wand, and no actual cleaning was happening anymore).

Mine also had a piece of cardboard smashed into the corner that needed removing. Althena knows how it got there.

I clean my carts, all of them, meticulously with Windex. The carts are spotless, but the connector itself hasn't been cleaned. I guess I need to figure out how to mod the lockout chip, it's probably causing my problems--sometimes the games will display even though the screen is blinking, which is SUPER frustrating.

The Slashdotting is generating MAJOR interest.  :!:

Please keep bumping it Jag.

987868[/snapback]

Omne, even you have to admit that the IGN article is full of misinformation. The fact that Slashdot is helping spread misinformation is not a good thing. I even noticed that people at DigitPress have already started a thread making fun of IGN's "review".

Edited by Jagasian

The unfortunate thing about the Slashdot's post is that it seems to endorse the NEX, even though most of the initial post is just a quote from the IGN review. I would note that IGN is not the first mainstream video gaming publication to give an unfairly positive review of the NEX. (I read that EGM did as well, or was it Game Informer?)

IGN should have gotten the same guy who gave the original Atari Flashback a 5.0 to review the NEX. I think he would be better informed and written a more balanced review.

As the author of the original bad NEX review, I obviously think this whole IGN thing is pretty weird as well. My thoughts on the matter, however brief, are here:

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/48

I'm not sure if Teknik was referring to me when he mentioned bloggers with questionable credentials influencing popular opinion, but I would like to note something very important. I, as a blogger, have never claimed any authority or credientials over any matter. If you read my "About the VC&G Editor" and "About VC&G reviews" pages, you'll notice that I don't take myself or my blog too seriously. I, myself, have been disturbed at how people would read half of what I wrote about the NEX and repeat it like it was gospel, when in fact it was just simple words from a guy who writes about what he loves. Whatever anyone else does with my opinion after that is their own responsibility. Meanwhile, I've moved on other fun stuff like putting linux on a Compaq IA-1 and playing with AtariMax's Atari 800 flash carts. :)

I'd also like to say that I really like this AtariAge forum community. You guys have a great balance of opinon and hold reasonable conversations, unlike some other forums out there.

RedWolf

If I read IGN, and cared what the hell IGN was, I still wouldn't have to justify anything I do to you Jag. :D You can say I have to do something, but because you say it, does not make it true. The more you post, the more true that statement gets.

I don't read IGN. There is lots of crap I don't read. My opinions on that review do exist on the net. But you'll have to go find it to respond to it. :P

Surprised your Googling hasn't led you to it in your NES fervour.

What's your new handle at DP BTW? :lolblue:

If I read IGN, and cared what the hell IGN was, I still wouldn't have to justify anything I do to you Jag.  :D You can say I have to do something, but because you say it, does not make it true.

What about me?

You have to change all your passwords to ^^vv<><>BA in the next 2 hours, or you will be viciously assaulted by cyborg ninjas. Cyborg ninjas with SUPER SOAKERS!

If I read IGN, and cared what the hell IGN was, I still wouldn't have to justify anything I do to you Jag.  :D You can say I have to do something, but because you say it, does not make it true. The more you post, the more true that statement gets.

I don't read IGN. There is lots of crap I don't read. My opinions on that review do exist on the net. But you'll have to go find it to respond to it.  :P

Surprised your Googling hasn't led you to it in your NES fervour.

What's your new handle at DP BTW?  :lolblue:

988266[/snapback]

There is no reason to continue to act like a jerk. Also, I don't have a new DP handle. I just searched the forum to see if anybody started a thread on the IGN NEX review, and I noticed that they did. The DP forums are moderated by morons, who can't tell the difference between game controllers and a game system, and I have proof to back up that claim too.

I respond honestly and succinctly, and now I'm a jerk, and since I'm a mod at DP, I apparently am a moron, who can't tell the difference between game controllers and a game system.

And according to you I'm suppsedly the jerk. At least you proved the point of my previous post. :lol:

I have never personally insulted you once you know. Not once. Not here, not at DP, no where. Go search, I'll wait.

You spray too much spittle when you post about this one clone.

Edited by omne

You gotta take IGN with a grain of salt when it comes to arcade and Retro stuff IMO. That site has really gone dowm the pot overall in last few years.

988631[/snapback]

What is a good general game review site these days? I've always been a fan of Gamespot, as they seem to be professional and consistent. Except for their reviews of GTA1 and GTA2, where they described the games as gimmicky and boring. Then when GTA3 was released they called it revolutionary and gave it one of their hightest scores, even though it is pretty much the first city of GTA1 with better graphics and sound.

Reviews are useless period. It's all opinion.

The opinion holder may have a white hot bias against anything less than utter perfection, and be totally unreasonable and impossible to cater to. The opinion holder could have no hands on experience with the product at all, and still share this *informed* opinion ad nauseam.

The opinion holder could have a vested interest in the product (magazine review supported by adverts).

Opinions all. At least the IGN reviewer had one at his disposal before he posted thoughts about it. I'll give that credence over opinions of those based only upon what they've read of others opinions. :D

You gotta decide for yourself. The differing opinions can give you some background, but they can't tell you whether or not you would like a product. When possible, a hands on judgement is best, like in a bricks and mortar store. Some OSG Depots are running playable in store NEX demos right now, that sell NEX's.

Harder for online would be customers to do this indeed. Even harder when the net is full of crusaders who post over and over against something they don't own, and never wanted to own. I hear that when someone has a wealthy spouse, or some other means of support, it puts them in a good position to post endlessly on topics they care about.

Out of respect for the AA forums, and the duties and opinions of it's moderators, and a recognition of the privilege of being allowed to post in these forums, these remarks above are not directed at anyone in particular.

I only have one comment to direct at Jagasian, and I hope that Albert considers it acceptable..

Merry Christmas Jagasian.

Steve

With all the comparisons between the NEX and a professionally refurbed NES, it makes me wonder (1)what gets refurbished in an NES besides the cart slot when you send one in instead of DIY-ing it, and (2)how much it actually costs to send one off.

Mine has blinkentoasteritis, and even though I bent the pins back out Kung Fu (of all games) and SMB3 just refuse to play without serious coaxing.

987549[/snapback]

That's why you modify the front loading toaster. Bratwurst refurbished one with a Game Genie cart in trade for a GBA MM game, and ever since I've used it exclusively for all my NES gaming. A PlayMessiah wireless controller stays hooked up to it at all times, and I output the video and audio straight to the front two ports of my Commodore 1702 monitor. Looks and plays beautifully. I'm not even as picky as Great Hierphant but I certainly noticed the screen lines using my top loader, and now that I use a regular NES with the modified cart slot I get 100% gameplay (never ever a blinking light) and 100% CRYSTAL picture - the best of both worlds. NEX? I think that's short for No thanX.

Incompatibility with over 40 games and other bugs in the NEX are not just opinions. They are facts. Also, the misleading information about the original NES not having RCA composite audio and video, as well as dual channel mono is bad. Similarly, their "review" makes false statements about the current state of NES emulators, which are far more accurate and compatible than the NEX.

A professional review should have compared the NEX side-by-side with other NES and Famicom systems, both official and clones. People who would be interested in buying the NEX will most likely do so because they used to own a previous NES system, and therefore such a review would be the most useful.

Many people don't have the time or money to hand test every piece of electronics. This is why we have consumer review magazines and web sites. IGN has demonstrated that it lacks the ability to professionally review video game hardware.

Similarly, their "review" makes false statements about the current state of NES emulators, which are far more accurate and compatible than the NEX.

Hell, even Nesticle can give the NEX a run for its money, which was what IGN was probably comparing the NEX to. By comparison, the current versions of Nestopia and Nintendulator can run every NES game perfectly or damn near so.

I bought a Yobo NES clone for $30 off eBay. The NEX has similar compatibility issues, better video quality, built-in wireless support and a famicom slot.

While I would only use the Famicom slot for testing purposes (I own a Famicom AV), to others that feature is as useful as the number of Famicom cartridges they own. Most own few and have used converters if they don't own a Famicom. If they want to use their Famicom cartridges, then they should watch out because if the level of compatibility with Famicom cartridges (aside from the fact that the extra sound will not work) is unknown. You could simply by a Famiclone, which go for $30 as well.

As for the wireless controller capability, the wirless controllers, only available from Messiah, will set you back $60. The price is the same whether you buy the NEX or not. Presumably only Messiah's wireless controllers will work with the NEX, all you get is saving some clutter by not having to connect the sensors to the controller jacks.

In short, for double the price I expect alot more than this.