IGNORED

IGN's Ignorant NEX Review

I just recieved a NEX as a gift. Agreed that the review is crap, tho personally don't have any issues with the unit. Heck, some of the games listed as not compatible work just fine on my system, so that list isn't as bad as it looks.

Are there other, more thorough and unbiased reviews out there? I'd be curious to see how the NEX audio/video compares with the toaster, top loader, and top loader modded w/av output. At a glance the output from the NEX looks the same as the toaster composite output, but I'm no expert.

A sound comparison is clearly in order. I tried doing one once with a Famiclone, but didn't really have the aptitude for it. For audio, all you would need is one Nintendo made NES, since they all sound the same (assuming only the internal NES/Famicom sound channels are used), and compare the sound to the Yobo and the NEX. For video, use the front loader or a top loader with and without the improved AV mod.

It would be helpful to know which games worked on your NEX which Messiah lists as non-working.

bones (who actually has one in his hands) likes his NEX?

Imagine that. :twisted:

And the biggest haters don't. But they post lots. :D

I'm a big IntelliVision fan. One of my kids got one of those IntelliVision games in a controller toys this year. We hooked it up Christmas morning.

Wow. The games look very very wrong. The sound is very very off. The in game music is *completely* missing. All in all, the closest this thing gets to Intellivision is the official logo on the box.

It is a market full of these sorts of products that the NEX injects itself into. It plays actual carts, and is packaged aggressively, and is feature rich when compared to the traditional clones on the market that the general public doesn't even know what to make of (as in what the hell is it).

When compared to the Flashback, the Flashback2, and the official game in controller units, it compares very favourably. It's only real issue, is that it's price is considerably higher than these comparable releases. It plays the vast majority of titles, looks and sounds quite close in most all cases (it kicks this IntelliVision controller thingies ass all over the place).

All this drivel I've been reading for the last couple of months is fanboy blather IMO.

I can sum up the last 2 months of negative posts in this way:

It's not perfect! WAAAAAA! It's more expensive than this other thing I bought that's not perfect! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!! It should have been half the price and twice as feature rich! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! If you like it, you suck! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Where is the IntelliVision games in controller hate? Oh right, it's a CRUSADE.

Enjoy your NEX bones. Careful reading of all NEX threads will reveal this fact. Most of those who wanted one and got one, like it to one degree or another. Some even have the guts to post, like lacan and bones.

And then they get shouted down by someone who doesn't have one. It's NAUSEATING.

Edited by omne

Of the 37 games listed as incompatible with the NEX I have 11 of those. Of the 11 tested, 4 work just fine:

Adventures of Dino Riki

Commando

Quattro Adventure

Renegade

Based on this I'd estimate that the actual # of incompatible titles is closer to 26 games, not 37. That assumes all Aladdin games won't work, probably a safe assumption at this point.

Some of my favorites still don't work, including Castelvania III, Gauntlet, Pipe Dream, and Rad Racer II. Kinda bummed about those, but will keep my toaster in the closet for when the itch arises to play them.

Of the 37 games listed as incompatible with the NEX I have 11 of those.  Of the 11 tested, 4 work just fine:

Adventures of Dino Riki

Commando

Quattro Adventure

Renegade

Based on this I'd estimate that the actual # of incompatible titles is closer to 26 games, not 37.  That assumes all Aladdin games won't work, probably a safe assumption at this point. 

Some of my favorites still don't work, including Castelvania III, Gauntlet, Pipe Dream, and Rad Racer II.  Kinda bummed about those, but will keep my toaster in the closet for when the itch arises to play them.

989377[/snapback]

When did you get your NEX? Maybe it is a newer revision that fixes some of the incompatibility issues? Also, omne, you've been warned by the admin to stop attacking people over this topic. I'd suggest you stop before you get banned.

When did you get your NEX? Maybe it is a newer revision that fixes some of the incompatibility issues?

I think some of their test carts were too dirty or flaky. However, I'm surprised that they list Afterburner as working without noting any glitches. I'll bet you that it shows real glitches.

The Aladdin is a bit tricky to work, even on my Famicom AV, but it will work.

Micro Machines, in particular, abused some truly complex PPU behavior for simple screens. This is the European style of coding at work, tweak the basic hardware as much as possible. If that and a few similar issues were the extent of the compatibility issues with the NEX, then I would probably recommend it even though that problem has been fixed in Nintendulator and Nestopia.

But these games don't use customized or complex mapper hardware. I believe that if Messiah had their sub-Taiwanese manufacturer wire the cartridge connector properly, instead of taking shortcuts, then the games that don't work at all would work to some extent. At least they have plenty of carts to test now.

Edited by Great Hierophant

Enjoy your NEX bones. Careful reading of all NEX threads will reveal this fact. Most of those who wanted one and got one, like it to one degree or another. Some even have the guts to post, like lacan and bones.

Will do.

It's not perfect, but for a NES clone I wasn't expecting it to be. The positives far outweigh any drawbacks for me. It's low profile allows me to add another shelf around the tv, so I'll finally be able to have the SNES set up permantently in the gameroom. Having the NES/Famicom run off of the same power source saves some space and cords as well.

Kinda amazed to see all of "teh drama" on AA, it usually is a bit calmer. This thread reminds me more of neo-geo.com and all the silliness over there ;)

When did you get your NEX? Maybe it is a newer revision that fixes some of the incompatibility issues?

I think some of their test carts were too dirty or flaky. However, I'm surprised that they list Afterburner as working without noting any glitches. I'll bet you that it shows real glitches.

989504[/snapback]

My NEX was ordered about a week ago and came in on Friday. It's good news/bad news on some of the games recommended to test. I tested Slalom on a 27" tv and the slopes are solid gray as expected. Unfortunately Afterburner doesn't work at all on the NEX, displaying either a white screen or random sprites. That game works fine on my top loader.

As a forum moderator myself, I see no attacks posted by myself, nor anybody named in my post. In fact this post is directed at no one in particular.

I will wisely keep my own counsel on such matters.

bones posts stand as an honest opinion, with the strength behind it to like it or dislike it for his own reasons. Refreshing. :D

My NEX was ordered about a week ago and came in on Friday. It's good news/bad news on some of the games recommended to test. I tested Slalom on a 27" tv and the slopes are solid gray as expected. Unfortunately Afterburner doesn't work at all on the NEX, displaying either a white screen or random sprites. That game works fine on my top loader.

If we can't get anything near to "perfection", then I suppose then we must be thankful that the video quality isn't screwed up. However, my Yobo plays my Aladdin games, and I would be interested to here of anyone who got the Aladdin to work on the NEX.

As a forum moderator myself, I see no attacks posted by myself, nor anybody named in my post. In fact this post is directed at no one in particular.

Since we're trucking out credentials and opinions...

As a former moderator, I'd've locked this thread days ago.

No good can come of it.

Since we're trucking out credentials and opinions...

As a former moderator, I'd've locked this thread days ago.

No good can come of it.

989625[/snapback]

Amen. What's been said that's been on topic has been pretty interesting, and it's made me think twice about getting a NEX (both threads about it, that is) but...

Geez. You guys don't like each other and will probably never agree. We get it.

...and whether you named names or not, calling people who appear to have legitimate issues with the NEX whiners and crybabies is insulting their intelligence and opinions, and in doing so you forfeited whatever moral high ground you may have had in this arguement (not to say you had it to begin with). People are allowed to have differing opinions, you know.

Glad you're not a moderator here.

Edited by ~llama

Me too. :P

Remember the limitations of text. Any tone, superiority or implied sarcasm you may think you see in my posts, are your assumption, not necessarily my intent. My posts speak for themselves. I am accused of attacks, but there are no personal attacks posted by me.

My issue, in general, about the NEX, is that anything positive said about the unit is shouted down. This thread about the IGN review is a case and point.

I'm sure a puff review of an IntelliVision game-in-controller review at IGN wouldn't have the usual suspects beating it into the ground like the NEX gets over and over and over. It gets special treatment from a select few.

IMO, the ugly side of this hobby.

It's been a real eye opener for me. I own a growing business that caters to gamers in general, and also caters to the small classic community. Watching this unfold has helped me understand how the dynamic works, and how efforts will be received by the community.

Edited by omne

Yeah, I was probably a little more flame-ful than I should have been. Apologies are in order.

Just for the record, I got one of those Genesis controllers with Sonic 2 and... I don't even own a Genesis and it was different from the way I remember the game being. Something was weird about it. I stay away from all clone systems, just because it's usually cheaper and more worth it for me to track down the real deal. So I'm sure the NEX is no different from any of the other clones out there: great if you can't get the real thing, or don't want to bother with going thrift store shopping or eBaying, or otherwise don't have access to the original console being simulated.

You can't deny though, that the inflated claims of the IGN review of the NEX are a little out of line, claiming things like "NES games don't support S-Video." Hell, if an Atari 2600 can use an S-Video connector, anything can.

I think the NEX looks cool. I just don't like clones at all. I'm with omne when he says many of the other clones don't get the derision they deserve :P

Truthfully, I expect more from IGN (I know, I know...). They are a video game news site. They are the first to say when a game has even the slightest technical issues like dropping frame rates or clipping, but yet when they get a system that has known compatibility issues - listed right on the manufacturer's website - they fail to report them. I think it's pretty shoddy reporting, the system certainly doesn't deserve such a glowing review.

9.5 is a VERY bloated score - if they gave the Flashback 1 a score like that - you can bet people would be complaining about it. This is not a personal attack against Messiah. A less than stellar product getting a huge score just because some idiot didn't do their homework is insulting. They actually claim it's a pretty good value! You can get 2 Yobo's or a refurbished toaster for $60!

The Audio Quality section is equally as bad, given they say "It's the best NES music ever!" when we all know NOAC systems lack of accuracy is especially true in the sound department.

Heck - the Performance says "Even better than the original". As a classic gamer how can you not pull your head out of the sand and admit this is a ridiculous review that is completely inappropriate?

I love my Yobo, for what it is, a cheap NES clone that runs most of my games that I can take with me on trips thanks to it's small size. However, I would NEVER give it a 9.5 review. Messiah doubles the price, adds wireless and Famicom features that most will never use and gets that high a score?

Frankly, I would give my Yobo a 7.0 - the Messiah, if money weren't an object, would get a 7.5 based on the prettier packaging and system design. As a forum moderator I think conversations like this are valuable - it's not the mods faults, or anyone elses, that attacks on the NEX seem to be taken so personally.

:D

As a human being, I only take personal insults directed at me as a person personally.

Go read, and see what direction the vitriol goes. I've been trying my best to inject reason into a fanboy hatchetjob. That's all.

That IGN review is obviously a puff piece. Fact is most gamers don't care about side by side comparisons. The few that do are here right now.

:D

As a human being, I only take personal insults directed at me as a person personally.

Go read, and see what direction the vitriol goes. I've been trying my best to inject reason into a fanboy hatchetjob. That's all.

That IGN review is obviously a puff piece. Fact is most gamers don't care about side by side comparisons. The few that do are here right now.

989852[/snapback]

The problem is this is NOT a fanboy hatchetjob. You're on a messageboard of hardcore classic gamers. These are the gamers that DO care about compatibility, that DO care that the sound is wonky, and that DO understand that the "dual mono sound output" as a selling point is laughable.

I understand that you sell these at retail - and I understand that many of those who purchase them from you don't care about 100% compatibility especially if they are buying them at a brick & mortar store - but I think it's become apparent that this group of gamers does care. The IGN review is a complete load - not just a "puff piece", it's full of blatent lies that sound like they were pulled directly from Messiah's press releases.

I don't run IGN.

And you've ignored the fact that anyone who points out the facts you just acknowledged (not everyone is a picky NES enthusiast) gets personally insulted, called names, and has their ethics/intelligence questioned.

It's dangerous to not be price conscious about your NES clones around these parts. :D Look at poor lacan's thread.

Edited by omne

I agree with what n8littlefield has to say. We have been playing the NES for over 20 years now, and it should only be assumed that we are very interested in an objective breakdown of the positives and negatives of the system. Similarly for many people who are interested in buying a NEX.

Just as fans were upset when the original Star Wars movies were released on DVD because they were not accurate recreations of the original movies, many interested in buying the NEX care that the system is not an accurate recreation of the NES. A similar thing happened with the Flashback, though I will give the Flashback developers credit for creating a new 2600 clone with the Flashback 2 and not just re-packaging an existing NOAC.

Those who criticize the NEX are merely pointing out the huge list of negatives and contrast it with statements made by Messiah, NubyTech, and reviews-turned-advertisements (for example IGN's review). The facts would speak for themselves, if there wasn't so much misinformation being spread around by the aforementioned organizations. The critics would stop posting if others would stop spreading misinformation so as to hide the negative aspects of the NEX system.

Nobody has been attacked for saying that they like their NEX, unless they lie and spread misinformation. In the positive review on Lik-sang and the IGN review, lies and misinformation were spread, and so they were attacked. Contrast this with bones' post in this thread, which was not attacked. Though people did inquire as to how he got games to work which are listed as incompatible in the NEX compatibility list, and they implied that either his carts were cleaner than the ones used to make the list or he has a newer revision NEX which correctly wires the cart connector and therefore fixes some of the incompatibility problems.

Nobody has been attacked for saying that they like their NEX, unless they lie and spread misinformation.

Translation- it's OK attack those who like their NEX's, but don't acknowledge, or are not aware of it's flaws. You must expect Ford owners to list all the drawbacks of a Ford vs a Toyota, or they are spreading misinformation, right? Nobody needs to answer. I realize some people have hypocritical personal standards. I don't have to like it, so it's not really any of my business. I'll just point it out when I see it.

Plus I've been insulted numerous times (I won't name names) and I have not lied, or spread misinformation. I've simply pointed out the positive aspects of the NEX and have attacked no one.

Marketing. Look it up. It's legal too.

This is all really simple to me. The NEX is an expensive NES clone. There are cheaper clones, that have similar drawbacks (but lack a few features, and aesthetic touches).

The NES fanboi blather makes me proud to have always been an SMS enthusiast, all the way back to '86.

I dislike the IntelliVision games-in-a-controller Intellivison games quite a bit. However, I feel no need to vilify the Blue Sky Rangers for an effort I feel is very substandard. I'll simply Not Buy One. :D Anyone who asks me about the best way to play the old Inty games will get recommended a real refurbished IntelliVision.

FYI, I also recommend people get a real refurbished NES for NES game play. NEX's are an option for those customers that want something new, and turn their noses up at a refurbished anything. The NEX allows options for both kinds of customers.