IGNORED

Which GBA?

~llama

Well, I'm finally going to spend the cash and get a Game Boy Advance. The one that looks like a Famicom controller is so sexy, the GB Micro, and I really would love to have one, but...

Is it fiscally prudent to get a Game Boy Micro Famicom edition when I can get a used (Hell, a new one) GBA SP for cheaper? Either one would be wonderful to have, especially the NES-themed SP, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find one of those.

So. GBA Micro Famicom, or (either used or new) GBA SP?

I'd get the new backlit GBAsp's...those things are really good. The screen is even brighter than the DS display. And yes, they are cheaper than the Micro, and have a great clamshell design to protect the screen. They even have a couple of new colors now.

Steve

Well, I'm finally going to spend the cash and get a Game Boy Advance. The one that looks like a Famicom controller is so sexy, the GB Micro, and I really would love to have one, but...

Is it fiscally prudent to get a Game Boy Micro Famicom edition when I can get a used (Hell, a new one) GBA SP for cheaper? Either one would be wonderful to have, especially the NES-themed SP, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find one of those.

So. GBA Micro Famicom, or (either used or new) GBA SP?

989724[/snapback]

I think if you are gonna spend the money for a micro, I would just get DS. There are

some great games and it is GBA compatible too. Now, if you force me to pick between

GBA's I choose the backlit SP, cheaper more features etc.. only thing I didnt like about

the SP is it is too small for my hands, I prefer the DS/PSP and even the orig GBA (hate

the screen tho) because the buttons are not so close to the dpad.

save a little more money and get a DS. You will be happy you did.

I'd get the Micro. Best ergonomics if you don't mind the small screen. It's not that expensive -- and rumor has it you can get one at Costco for $50 this week. Otherwise it's $100.

My second choice would be a NEW GBA SP with the brighter screen. $80.

Don't bother with a used one -- the washed out frontlit screen looks like ass in comparison.

The DS is nice, but it's honking HUGE and doesn't really fit in your pocket.

All IMHO.

I'd get the Micro. Best ergonomics if you don't mind the small screen. It's not that expensive -- and rumor has it you can get one at Costco for $50 this week. Otherwise it's $100.

Don't bother with a used one -- the washed out frontlit screen looks like ass in comparison.

All IMHO.

989973[/snapback]

Yes, the DS is a huge "portable", but a good carrying case (with a flashy logo) will fit your style. :) But, for cheapy and great gameplay with a ton of awesome games, the new Sp will do quite nicely and keep you busy for a long, long time.

Steve

IMO, it always looked like ass, not just in comparison to the new one.

Avoid the Mirco. very small, not very compatible. Get a new Pearle SP or a DS

990049[/snapback]

Not compatible? That's a new one.

Please, tell us what it's not compatible with. And why you seem to be the only person aware of any of it.

:roll:

All IMHO.

989973[/snapback]

Is there any truth to the micro being $50 at Costco?!

Avoid the Mirco. very small, not very compatible. Get a new Pearle SP or a DS

990049[/snapback]

Not compatible? That's a new one.

Please, tell us what it's not compatible with. And why you seem to be the only person aware of any of it.

990162[/snapback]

It doesn't play Gameboy Color or original black and white GB games. If someone doesn't know which GB to get, I doubt s/he has a large vintage collection to worry about. There are hundreds of excellent GBA games and very few reasons to look back to the monochrome games. Besides, the old games looks and feel stupid sticking out of the GBA case.

989973[/snapback]

Is there any truth to the micro being $50 at Costco?!

990197[/snapback]

I was at a Costco in MD last night and didn't see them. It was definitely available on their website before xmas, and elsewhere people have seen them. "Your mileage may vary."

There are plenty of vintage GB games worth owning, I've bought a bunch recently and have no plans to stop

The Zelda games

Mario Land games

Tetris (I'm sorry, but its NES or GB Tetris or nothing for me)

Dragons Lair Color

Metroid 2

Donkey Kong 94 (A truly brilliant game)

and on and on and on

Not to mention the hidden gems and guilty pleasures (T2, nothing like the console versions, one of my faves)

JB, I imagine he is referring to the fact that the Micro can't play GB/GBC games, while the SP can.

990172[/snapback]

Of course, the DS can't play them either, which was super disappointing to me. I would have traded up to a DS otherwise. Maybe the next edition DS will be fully backward-compatible?

I'm getting an SP, because I have a pretty sizeable monochrome Game Boy collection. I was pondering getting a Micro and letting the old games be played on the GB Pocket (the grey brick's green screen is almost unwatchable after playing a GBP :P) but now I think i'd like to use the backlight on those games, too.

Thanks for all the input. I may end up buying a DS later, though I doubt it.

Good choice, although give the DS more thought down the road. I wouldn't think you'd be disappointed. Some of the DS-only games are well worth the system.

990403[/snapback]

It's an especially good idea because if you don't already have a GBA, when you buy a DS it's like getting two great systems in one.

Ah.

I don't really consider that "not very compatible" as it still runs 100% of native software.

Besides, I'm using a GBColor for 8-bit games because they play better there anyways. The GBA has lousy controls in both incarnations(original's got a crappy d-pad, the SP is just way too small{The added thickness of the Color makes a world of diffrence in terms of playability}).

Ah.

I don't really consider that "not very compatible" as it still runs 100% of native software.

Is the new GB Micro e-Reader and GCN compatible also?

990431[/snapback]

Last I heard, it worked with the eReader just as well as the SP did.

Though you need an adapter(8$ at Nintendo's online store) to get the GC link working due to the new smaller link port. Fortunately the big plastic wing is there purely for aesthetics, and it makes no diffrence if it's clipped on or not.

It's linkable, though, which places it ahead of the DS in compatibility(though I'd rather have the DS).

What is it with Nintendo and dorking ports up with every revision, anyways?

GBPocket/Color used a diffrent link port than the original GB, just for kicks.

GBA had no AC adapter socket.

GBASP used a proprietary headphone connector.

And GBMicro comes full circle with ANOTHER diffrent link port.

Edited by JB

Well... I don't already have a GBA. Is it stupid for me to get an SP and not a DS, then? I must admit that Mario Kart looks like a killer game :) I love the SNES and N64 versions.

990446[/snapback]

No, I wouldn't say that. I have two SP's and a DS, and I'm thinking of getting one of the new backlit SP's. I don't really like using the DS's buttons for GBA games, but that's because I'm used to the SP's controls.

It's probably financially smarter to simply buy a DS, though, unless you're planning to play GB/GB Color games or playing multiplayer GBA games.