IGNORED

Super Pong video issue! Help!

Atariman

I recently picked up Super Pong at my local game store. The video was very fuzzy and (according to the guy behind the counter) changed a little when he wiggled the cord. Figuring that it was just the video cable, I took it home and opened it up. After replacing the cable (and not fixing the problem) I happened to press on both of the paddle potentiometers. This helped clear up the video issue, but only somewhat. Figuring that perhaps the paddles had some soldering issues (as the solder job was pretty poor to begin with) I resoldered them to find that this didn't solve the problem. It seems that the video is even worse than before and degrades as it warms up... any ideas?

The video was very fuzzy and (according to the guy behind the counter) changed a little when he wiggled the cord.  Figuring that it was just the video cable, I took it home and opened it up.

991378[/snapback]

Many older home video game systems didn't use a proper RF modulator but instead used a transistor circuit that kinda sorta works. There's often a tuning coil which may help things somewhat. If your TV has a fine-tuning adjustment, you could try that; otherwise, find a non-metallic screwdriver and adjust the tuning coil (if all you have is a metalic one, putting the screwdriver near the coil will alter its behavior, so you'll have to adjust it, remove the screwdriver, see what it does, and repeat).

The video was very fuzzy and (according to the guy behind the counter) changed a little when he wiggled the cord.  Figuring that it was just the video cable, I took it home and opened it up.

991378[/snapback]

Many older home video game systems didn't use a proper RF modulator but instead used a transistor circuit that kinda sorta works. There's often a tuning coil which may help things somewhat. If your TV has a fine-tuning adjustment, you could try that; otherwise, find a non-metallic screwdriver and adjust the tuning coil (if all you have is a metalic one, putting the screwdriver near the coil will alter its behavior, so you'll have to adjust it, remove the screwdriver, see what it does, and repeat).

991381[/snapback]

I've already adjusted the tuning coil (assuming it is the adjustment closest to the channel select switch) and didn't notice any change in picture quality - so I adjusted it back to its original position. Also, I noticed that the picture improved when I pressed on the I.C. that is inside the pong unit - I would also note that this IC is also getting very hot...