IGNORED

Most frustrating in-game moments on the 2600?

Chris++

Mine's a tie between two occurrences.

You're playing Raiders of the Lost Ark. You get to the Map Room, put the inventory cursor on the timepiece, and notice that you have quite a long wait before the clock's hand will cycle around to the "straight up" position. So you get up and get some coffee, or make a sandwich, or attend to natural business...and then you get back to your Atari, just to see the sun disappearing!

My other most frustrating event is when the bat steals your crown in Mountain King just before you get to the top and beat the level. GRRRRRR.

CF

Dragonstomper. You fight your way through the Enchanted Countryside, buy all of your supplies, sneak through the cave to the dragon's lair....and get slaughtered, having to start from the beginning again. Great high when you beat the flamethrower, but depressing when you're the one getting "stomped."

quote:

Originally posted by Smart Patrol:

When I was a kid someone told me that they heard that if you get 1,000,000 on Donkey Kong, there's a hidden elevators level. I can tell you two things about that: 1) it takes a long time to get to 1,000,000 and 2) there ain't no elevator level.

-Paul

I heard that too! And you're right, there is no elevator

Playing an opponent at Atari 2600 Boxing, and getting locked into a series of blows, each one you may escape barely, whereby you can lock your opponent in the very same move until he his frustration reaches dangerous levels. This continues for the entire round, until there is finally the let up at the very end.

Thing is you may NEVER escape a series of shots till KO, and you pray that your opponent gets out of rhythm.

How bout trying to cross the road portion of Porky's? And then on top of that trying to use that pole vaulting thing for hours and hours.

quote:

Originally posted by Smart Patrol:

When I was a kid someone told me that they heard that if you get 1,000,000 on Donkey Kong, there's a hidden elevators level. I can tell you two things about that: 1) it takes a long time to get to 1,000,000 and 2) there ain't no elevator level.

-Paul

LMAO.. that is funny.... sorry to laugh at your pain... but that is funny..

I have had many Arrrrrrgh! moments in my never-ending quest to become one of the very few to claim a perfect score in Pitfall! The worst of them was a couple of months ago. I decided on a new approach where I would take fewer risks by slowing myself down to the point where I would reach the final treasure with virtually no time remaining. And so it was. I dodged every obstacle without losing a single life, without falling down any holes and without contacting a single log. I grabbed every treasure along my way except for the very last.

And that final treasure, the Gold Brick in jungle scene #29, was in my sights! As I crossed into scene #29 from scene #30, I glanced quicky up at the timer. Five seconds left. Plenty of time. In my excitement over certain Pitfall immortality, I decided I wasn't going to just casually run into the final treasure. No, I was going to take it to the hoop. With a final running leap, I was going to STOMP on that sucka! Slaaaaaam Dunk! And so, with the final seconds ticking off the clock, Pitfall Harry leapt high into the air. As he took flight, I lay down my joystick and thrust my arms high into the air in celebration. Woooo hoooo!!!!

Harry didn't land on the Gold as I had expected. I badly mistimed my final jump and Harry glided completely OVER the final treasure without touching it. That brief moment of stunned realization was all it took. I lunged for my joystick, slamming Harry back around. But time ran out on me before he could traverse the last 3 or 4 pixels he needed to get to the gold. The game ended. I scored 110,000 points, making it my 44th best score ever. It would be more than a month before I played Pitfall! again.

I still have yet to score a perfect game.

Ben

Haha When I read the thread title I imediately thought of ROTLA and the very thing that CF wrote. Its like watching water boil.

I'll also list the crappy FBI agent or Scientist showing up billa-second before the mother-ship is about to return to pick you up in E.T.

1) Playing Raiders of the Lost Ark, and moving the wrong joystick after waiting a long time, causing imminent death (I remember doing this in the map room, and falling into the valley of poison)

2) Getting a perfect game in Pitfall 2, and

a) hitting the last frog

b) hitting the last bat

c) hitting the last scorpion

d) failing to jump over the hole right in front of Quickclaw and hitting the frog or bat.

Argh!!!

-John K. Harvey

That Pitfall II stuff, particularly the last frog.

Getting 99,600 on Mr. Do! and never knowing if 100,000 rolls the score!

Maze #1 on Jr. Pac-man

Putting in my Solaris and watching the screen roll for no reason, mocking me so I can never play it. (and no, it ain't PAL or on a 7800).

1. Not being able to nail that last brick on Super Breakout.

2. Playing Dragster all night and never getting under six seconds.

3. Getting nailed by ANYTHING during the torturous climb to Quickclaw in Pitfall II.

4. After successfully ridding the skies of enemy fighters, plowing into the deck of the aircraft carrier on F-14 Tomcat.

Fighting with your brother when playing Space Invaders, since player 1 has the cheat pattern where you can just kill and kill and kill, and player 2 starting on the right sometimes dies as soon as you move.

I also quit this after turning it over about 4 times.

Phil