IGNORED

Ladybug - 2600

johnnywc

Hi Clay Halliwell!

What about Alien?
What about it? The Alien approach may have worked for an original title, but the whole staggered-missile setup wouldn't be ideal for a port of an existing title. It just looks too... weird.

Doesn't look any weirder than four pixel wide 1 line high PF *dots* in mazes with holes everywhere...

Greetings,

Manuel

Ladybug progress (here's a screenshot):

post-30-1137705282_thumb.jpg

Not much technically magical, but since it's my first maze game I'm pretty impressed.. :) I have the ladybug running around the maze, dots can be eaten, doors can be flipped (symmetrical on each side), bonus items being displayed (color cycles between blue/red/yellow), veggie in middle. Doors are being displayed on odd frames using the color blend technique given to me by Manuel (thanks!). Screenshot is from z26 using the phosper effect (-f77), but there is hardly any flicker on a real TV (though a CC2).

I have reserved enough RAM for all game variables; still 30+ bytes left to try to multiplex the insects and do intelligent flicker. Should be fun.. :)

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Edited by johnnywc

Looking good! Question - could the method used for dots in Cat Trax be used here?

1003231[/snapback]

Cat Trax does dots the same way Alien does, right? It's cool, but I don't know if it would look right for Lady Bug.

And this is one awesome WIP already. I've been wanting a 2600 Lady Bug for years since I saw it "Coming Soon" in a Coleco catalog back in the day. This one would definitely satisfy my desires if it's completed. Great work, johnnywc.

And this is one awesome WIP already.  I've been wanting a 2600 Lady Bug for years since I saw it "Coming Soon" in a Coleco catalog back in the day.  This one would definitely satisfy my desires if it's completed.  Great work, johnnywc.

1003340[/snapback]

Ditto :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see this in the AA store, what Coleco couldn't do johnnywc is makin great progress on. :cool:

Hi there!

I have reserved enough RAM for all game variables; still 30+ bytes left to try to multiplex the insects and do intelligent flicker.  Should be fun.. :)

Sounds and looks very promising! Besides Paradroid and some yet to be announced project this is my favourite game currently in the works! :)

Greetings,

Manuel

So I must be the first one to spot the subliminal message in that screenshot?

1003568[/snapback]

:D it´s just a new way of spelling "EXTRA"

anyway: i´d just love to see a complete version of Lady Bug on the 2600. It´s the best game for the Colecovision and maybe one of the best old arcade-games ever!

Looking good!

Thanks!

Question - could the method used for dots in Cat Trax be used here?

1003231[/snapback]

Well - it looks like Cattrax is using the ball and two missiles, and alternating between the left and right side for 30hz flicker, plus they're staggered on alternating lines. All possible in my kernel, I'm just not sure it would look any better. The colors would be pretty ugly since they would have to share colors with P0, P1 and PF, and the color of P0 and P1 are always changing from row to row since I'm using intelligent flicker for both (Cat Trax looks like it only uses i.f. for the mice, which are all basically the same color, and P0 always displays the cat). If implemented, it would probably look like a 60's rainbow.. :) Plus, I plan on using the ball to draw the skulls (probably just blocks) to reduce flicker.

Thanks for the suggestions!

So I must be the first one to spot the subliminal message in that screenshot?

1003568[/snapback]

:D it´s just a new way of spelling "EXTRA"

I'll have to blame the random number generator on that one.... :)

anyway: i´d just love to see a complete version of Lady Bug on the 2600. It´s  the best game for the Colecovision and maybe one of the best old arcade-games ever!

1003590[/snapback]

I agree - Ladybug has always been a favorite of mine. I hope to have this completed sometime in March.

Thanks,

Looking good!

Thanks!

Question - could the method used for dots in Cat Trax be used here?

1003231[/snapback]

Well - it looks like Cattrax is using the ball and two missiles, and alternating between the left and right side for 30hz flicker, plus they're staggered on alternating lines. All possible in my kernel, I'm just not sure it would look any better. The colors would be pretty ugly since they would have to share colors with P0, P1 and PF, and the color of P0 and P1 are always changing from row to row since I'm using intelligent flicker for both (Cat Trax looks like it only uses i.f. for the <b>mice</b>, which are all basically the same color, and P0 always displays the cat). If implemented, it would probably look like a 60's rainbow.. :) Plus, I plan on using the ball to draw the skulls (probably just blocks) to reduce flicker.

Thanks for the suggestions!

1003605[/snapback]

They're dogs. Just saying...

And the method you're currently using looks much, much better anyway.

Took me some time to fine the right fonts for the old Atari Coleco game label and I hope this came out right.

1004643[/snapback]

Looks awesome!! :)

1004762[/snapback]

Indeed! I like it as well, would there be any chance of using this label when the cart goes on sale (Johnny willing) or would it be too risky with whomever holds the Coleco copyrights nowadays?

Hi there!

Indeed! I like it as well,  would there be any chance of using this label when the cart goes on sale (Johnny willing)  or would it be too risky with whomever holds the Coleco copyrights nowadays?

The "Lady Bug" trademark as indicated on the logo has been cancelled on September 13, 1989 already, so it should be safe to release a "Lady Bug" game for the VCS.

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Indeed! I like it as well,  would there be any chance of using this label when the cart goes on sale (Johnny willing)  or would it be too risky with whomever holds the Coleco copyrights nowadays?

The "Lady Bug" trademark as indicated on the logo has been cancelled on September 13, 1989 already, so it should be safe to release a "Lady Bug" game for the VCS.

Greetings,

Manuel

1004791[/snapback]

Great! Would be nice to see this in the AA store by September, make a good birthday present for myself :)